Fixing Leaky RV Roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Leaky RV Roof?

Has anyone fixed a leaky RV roof themselves? I used it all last year at horseshows without any problems but family member used it & it rained the entire time they had it and they said it leaks. Never rained when I used it & its now parked under cover.

Was wondering if there is some sort of sealant that you can paint over the roof, etc. Like an industrial strength & size flexseal or something.

Thanks for any ideas.

I just finished repairing leaks in mine and used Eternabond tape that I got on Amazon. Worked very well. Definitely need to also get the roller to help seal it down. Was very easy to do and appears that it will hold up well. They come in several different widths. I got the 2 inch and the 4 inch. Used the 4 inch for bigger areas and the 2 inch for tighter spots.

Comment

PM Careybirdwell i bet he can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
        PM Careybirdwell i bet he can help you.

He has worked on my travel travelers several times.

If I needed a roof repair I would call Carey

Comment

Eternabond is an excellent product. I used it to seal all seams where caulk was used originally. I will never have to caulk those seams again.

As for leaks, you need to find the source of the leak and patch it appropriately. What type of roof? Fiberglass, EPDM, etc determines how to patch and how hard to find the leak.

Tons of good information over on www.irv2.com and www.rvforum.net

Comment

Flexseal works great for about a month! I would use a heavier duty type product for this type of roof repair that will hold up over time.

Just changing the angle of the RV can make it leak. When my travel trailer was level no problem. When we keep the trailer hooked to the truck and the front is lower than the rear the rain would pile up on a bad seem and leak.

Good luck!

Comment

Got it. I will look and see what type of roof. Its a class C, driver RV that's nice enough to fix correctly. Guess I also need to confirm where its leaking as well. Will pull it out into the open next time it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                Got it. I will look and see what type of roof. Its a class C, driver RV that's nice enough to fix correctly. Guess I also need to confirm where its leaking as well. Will pull it out into the open next time it rains.
                If it is newer than 97, more than likely it will be a rubber roof. More than likely the leak is coming from a seam. Dicor is the sealant that is made for rubber roofs. Get you a few tube & caulk gun and get on the roof and fill any opening, voids, or cracks. It is self leveling so it will fill in all the cracks.

You should do this about once a year for general maintenance. If it is a fiberglass or metal roof, you should do the same, but get a good roofing sealant. Not Silicone or caulk!! PM me if you have any other questions or concerns

Comment

I think you need to PM Carey and see if he can help us get it fixed right.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    If it is newer than 97, more than likely it will be a rubber roof. More than likely the leak is coming from a seam. Dicor is the sealant that is made for rubber roofs. Get you a few tube & caulk gun and get on the roof and fill any opening, voids, or cracks. It is self leveling so it will fill in all the cracks.

You should do this about once a year for general maintenance. If it is a fiberglass or metal roof, you should do the same, but get a good roofing sealant. Not Silicone or caulk!! PM me if you have any other questions or concerns
                    This man is correct! Good stuff and fills in cracks or voids, then we use rubberized roof coating also

Comment

Seems like I read a bunch of folks were rhino lining their roof.
                      May look into that

Comment

Mine just got out of the shop. I'm not sure what happened, but I went to rig down after being up for tailgate season at A&M and the roof and all wiper seals around the slides were sticky like melting, and falling apart. I did an insurance claim on it, and the cost to replace roof and wiper seals ran 9K. Thank goodness for insurance, and that I get to claim something for all I pay them.

Comment

Tag for camper roof reading later

Comment

Rv armor

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post

Isn't there a difference in rubber roofs? TPO vs EPDM? I thought they had to be treated differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X