Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences with selling home by owner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with selling home by owner??

Those of you that have sold a home yourself, what was the experience like?

Good luck!

You will see...Good, bad, use Redfin, sell yourself it's easy, never sell yourself as it's hard, must use a good real estate agent, never ever use an agent etc...

I'd probably use Redfin in this sellers market or really research what the home is worth and sell myself. But that's my simple house.

Comment

Several Realtors on TBH. Maybe reach out to a local one, doesn't cost anything to interview one about your options and see what is the best route to get it sold. I've noticed some FSBO's lately leaving money on the table. Also, one thing to consider, if a Realtor brings you a buyer, how muc, if any, commission are you paying to that agent?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve sold our last two ourselves, but my wife is a former agent so it went really smooth. Put a boat load more money in our pocket and with the internet now its really easy to get eyeballs on your listing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sold one many years ago. The Title Company did all the work. Not saying it’s easy these days but I would definitely look into it if you want to save money. The last house I sold I used a realtor friend to help sell it for 2%. It sold in 2 days. I bumped the selling price by 10,000.00 over what he said we should ask and like I said sold it in 2 days.

Comment

Get a good detailed contract, we didn't and it bit us later at the closing. Now we have a relator who charge's $250 to oversee the contract and nothing else. It's money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
              I sold one many years ago. The Title Company did all the work. Not saying it’s easy these days but I would definitely look into it if you want to save money. The last house I sold I used a realtor friend to help sell it for 2%. It sold in 2 days. I bumped the selling price by 10,000.00 over what he said we should ask and like I said sold it in 2 days.
              This is why I don't trust agents. When one is selling a home IMO if it sells in less than 5-10 days then you either got real lucky OR you didn't sell it for enough. Heck we see people taking weeks to sell a used bow, gun, kayak and all sorts of things trying to get $100 more LOL

And geez you went up by 10k and still sold in 2 days. Have to wonder if you should have asked another 10k or even more.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                This is why I don't trust agents.
                Oh...some of them aren't bad...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  This is why I don't trust agents. When one is selling a home IMO if it sells in less than 5-10 days then you either got real lucky OR you didn't sell it for enough. Heck we see people taking weeks to sell a used bow, gun, kayak and all sorts of things trying to get $100 more LOL

And geez you went up by 10k and still sold in 2 days. Have to wonder if you should have asked another 10k or even more.
                  Just depends on what people really want...Some sit for a bit, others sell like hotcakes. And really depends on how bad a person wants it, and what they are willing to pay. And you know if somebody was selling a bow for $700, somebody would really just want that bow. But sell the same bow for $300, going to be a fight for "I'll take it," and another fight for "next in line."

My wife is also a Realtor and last summer listed a smaller house that was on the lake. Comps showed a range and she listed it on the higher end. Held an open house and had a bunch of offers in before Monday. Most were over the asking price, and to keep ut short, the house sold for over $20k over the asking price, and what really surprised me was the fact that the house did not appraise for that price. But people wanted it and paid the extra money.

Comment

I've sold 3 of our homes without the help of a realtor and would do it again.
                    Texas has a standard process and documents to use. You have to be willing to do some work but you can do it. I paid $400 to list it on MLS with quality pictures.
                    My advise is to make sure your house is clean, clutter free and only show it to people who have a letter of credit from their bank for the amount of your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                      Oh...some of them aren't bad...
                      They are all horrible people

I was referring to some of those agents. You know that. LOL I was busy with the tax man so didn't clarify enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                        Just depends on what people really want...Some sit for a bit, others sell like hotcakes. And really depends on how bad a person wants it, and what they are willing to pay. And you know if somebody was selling a bow for $700, somebody would really just want that bow. But sell the same bow for $300, going to be a fight for "I'll take it," and another fight for "next in line."

My wife is also a Realtor and last summer listed a smaller house that was on the lake. Comps showed a range and she listed it on the higher end. Held an open house and had a bunch of offers in before Monday. Most were over the asking price, and to keep ut short, the house sold for over $20k over the asking price, and what really surprised me was the fact that the house did not appraise for that price. But people wanted it and paid the extra money.

But that's the agents job...To know what type of homes (usually smaller ones) sell the best and then list the price accordingly.

My only point is that it's way to often that homes in a very well known sellers market sell in 1-2 days over the asking price. Obvious the agent is not listing high enough but is more concerned with a fast sell.

This happened twice on my street in the last month. Now a buddy is selling his house..We shall see if they try to price higher.

Seems like a no brainer to me. If homes that are similar list for 220k and sell in 1 day for over that then the next guy should list for slightly higher (at least) than what it sold for. What ever happened to people offering a little less than asking price?

Comment

I just sold the first home my wife and I lived in when we got married. It was pretty easy. All we did was list it on Zillow. A buyer contacted us. We agreed on a price and then I paid a title company to draw up the contract and signed the paperwork. The buyers bank had quite a few stipulations that included a survey and appraisal but the cost was just put into the closing costs when we signed. It was 100 times easier than I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                            I've sold 3 of our homes without the help of a realtor and would do it again.
                            Texas has a standard process and documents to use. You have to be willing to do some work but you can do it. I paid $400 to list it on MLS with quality pictures.
                            My advise is to make sure your house is clean, clutter free and only show it to people who have a letter of credit from their bank for the amount of your house.

Where do i find the standard process and documents? Title company?

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
                              Where do i find the standard process and documents? Title company?

Yes. Contact a title company and they can walk you through the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X