Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Question for Church folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All other things being equal (which they usually aren't), I'm a supporter of plugging in to a local, community church, especially in non-urban settings.
    When we moved outside the 'big city', we tried hard to find the right local church. We kept being led back to a big church in the city - 25 minute drive. A few years ago, our church launched a multi-site in our community and we switched to it. In truth, for us to get to our multi-site location takes about the same time as going to the 'big city' campus. However, the 'community' is so much different.
    At our 'big city' campus, folks from all over the county are drawn and attend. That leads to a great Sunday atmosphere, but (for example) the kids don't form as close of bonds because they each go back to their own schools during the week.
    At our multi-site campus, everyone is pretty much 'doing life' together - school, sports, etc. So, whether it is the youth program, getting volunteers for a project, etc., things go smoother because we are more 'in community' with one another.
    From our personal experience and seeing others in similar situations, it is very easy to become 'less involved' when the drive to church is such a whipping. And kids can suffer when there are regular functions you have to drive them to (bowling, skating, movie nights, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Sounds to me like you're thinking pretty clearly. One thing that I'd point out is that our primary focus as believers and followers of Christ is to take the Gospel to others and bring them into the fold... If you worship where you live and are involved with friends, neighbors, and school mates, it sure is easier to "invite them to church" when it is near by... My wife and I have a bit of an issue with this too. Our church is in Kingwood and we live in Tarkington almost 30 miles away... not likely our witness will be too strong in Tarkington, but we also serve in other ways too. Just my thinking as it bug's me too.

You are likely right if it's "on your mind"... just listen to that still, small voice when He's talkin' to ya... prayer works both ways brother.... You talk to Him, and when you listen, He talks back...
      ^^This; and like my Grandaddy always said when and if your troubled and torn, "Pray about it...., He has a plan for each of us." It sounds to me like you already know the answer, and what the Lord wants you to do..., maybe you just need to listen a little closer...

Comment

I think the answer to your question lies in where you can you invite people to join with you in church and help them become plugged into Kingdom work? The church isn't for us but them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          You are right there there isn't one right answer that would apply to every situation like this. I want my kids to be plugged in, as my youngest two are now youth group age. The 78 mile round trip is tough.

Thanks Mike. I've been praying about this and wrestling with this for over a year. I think it may be time to check out some local churches.

It is very hard to find bible based churches, like you said... that's why it is hard to leave where we are now in New Caney. I really appreciate the invite but the Woodlands is farther than where we are commuting to now from Livingston. We definitely aren't just bench warmers so we want to be involved and serve wherever we are. The distance now is making that difficult. I think we are going to prayerfully visit a couple of local churches and see where God leads.
          Find a small Bible based Baptist church and they will work you to death

BTW - You will make the right choice. Maybe just visit some churches close to where you live.. 1-2 each month. Pray and you will know if you find the right one.

We went to Church about 15 miles away and that was too far IMO. Made it too hard to get the kids involved enough (or made it too easy for us parents to be lazy using the excuse).

Finding a good Church is hard. But I bet the good one your at now will let you come back if you visit others.

Comment

I think with the kids involved ,it would be easier on them to when they can go to church and school with the same group of kids. It gives them one more thing in common with their classmates . The ability to go to camp and other activities with friends is nice. If it was just you and your wife it would be different but kids require a bit more .

Comment

How far do you commute to church? And do you think that a family should serve in a church within their own community?

We have been at our current church, which we love, for 9 years. I served as Youth Pastor there for over six years and still teach small groups and play in the worship band. We moved up near Livingston almost two years ago and now the commute to church is 39 miles each way. It makes it a lot harder for our family to be as involved as we want to be. My wife got a job teaching in Livingston ISD next year where our kids go and I'm starting to think more and more that we should be plugged into a church in the community where we live. It's hard to think about leaving folks that have become like family to us, but I am feeling more and more like it may be time. So I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on commuting to a church versus serving in a local church in your own community.
              A very valid question. Ultimately it is your decision, but it sounds as if its on your mind. We did the same thing, moved from one town to another. We continued going to the church we had been going to and God kept dealing with me about it. So we started going to the local church, it was an excellent decision. You have no idea what God has in store for you until you act.

Comment

Lots of good comments and advice on here. I appreciate the input.

Comment

Prayer will lead you to the right church. After that, it's up to you how far you live. We've had people at our church move to be closer.

Comment

How far do you commute to church? And do you think that a family should serve in a church within their own community?

We have been at our current church, which we love, for 9 years. I served as Youth Pastor there for over six years and still teach small groups and play in the worship band. We moved up near Livingston almost two years ago and now the commute to church is 39 miles each way. It makes it a lot harder for our family to be as involved as we want to be. My wife got a job teaching in Livingston ISD next year where our kids go and I'm starting to think more and more that we should be plugged into a church in the community where we live. It's hard to think about leaving folks that have become like family to us, but I am feeling more and more like it may be time. So I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on commuting to a church versus serving in a local church in your own community.

the answer s actually simple,,, serve where you are, at work at play at the grocery store it does not matter.... as far as attendance go were you can, were you are fed,,,, everything in life is for a spell,, sometimes God moves you because he wants you somewhere else,,, my longest 1 way drive was about 18 miles so not to far but not around the corner either

Comment

You know brother....it’s always hard, kinda like leaving a family. God has grown and prepared you for this time..trust Him (not that you aren’t but I have been there)

Praying for ya

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                        community>sunday church service
                        1. love God
                        2. love people
                        everything else works itself out
                        Agree with this, hard to be a community during the week if you're not worshipping together on Sunday's. I think you kinda already know the answer to your question, if He's pricking your heart, probably need to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                          You know brother....it’s always hard, kinda like leaving a family. God has grown and prepared you for this time..trust Him (not that you aren’t but I have been there)

Praying for ya
                          This. Pray on it for clarity and ask the Lord to reveal to you HIS desire and then follow the direction, it is a for sure win.

Comment

20 miles. I don't think it matters as long as you and your family are attending.

Comment

Let the Holy Spirit guide you.

Comment

just pray about it and let the lord lead you

Comment

Working...
                                X