Alligator hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
    Anybody do the Murphree hunt with a kayak or canoe?
    Yes, but I had a large aluminum canoe with a 5 hp motor. They do try to assign those with smaller motors to the closest compartments, but I would not want to have to paddle to them.

Comment

I have a 12' flat bottom with a small motor. I just don't want to be after a gater bigger than my boat. Don't want to be like "Jaws"...."think we are gonna need a bigger boat".

Comment

This was a narrow 14 ft flat bottom I used to have. The gator is 12.5 ft. Most are not going to be near that big. You will be fine.

Comment

I need to put my name in someday for a tag....that would be fun.

Comment

That sounds like fun!! Chootem, Chootem!!!

Comment

Alligator hunting boat

My son and I got picked for one of these hunts at Murphree WMA. Does anyone know where we can rent an appropriate boat near Port Arthur?

Comment

Are you on the youth hunt or one of the adult hunts?

Sorry, can't help you with the boat.

Comment

Regular hunt. We both get to take an alligator, if we're successful. Gotta get a boat, first though!

Comment

Let me know how y'all do and how ya did it...

Comment

My son n I got drawn for mad Island. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comment

ive been twice and used line and hook ...large #10 hook with 500 lb line with 6ft.wire liter ...cut up hole chicken into quorters ....put hook in chicken and put it in a 5 gal. bucket with two cans of "sardines in oil "this was for the oil to drip into the water after hanging the lines " gaters come from every where...put chicken in bucket for 2/3 days before hunt day already on hooks because u dont want to touch this nasty stuff ,,,,make severel lines just in case gater gets bait off line and u have to rebait,, we took all are gater tags back with gaters,,,find a spot where theyve been sliding off the banks ....youl know what it looks like when u see it ....bigger slide bigger the gater,,,higher setting the line out of the water bigger the gater ,,,so hope this helps ..you will tie the line to a stump or tree or you can take a t post if you want and drive it into the ground to tie line to when you find a good spot...have line about 30 ft long ...that should do it ...have fun

Comment

Thank all of y'all for the help. I may just have to apply next year. If i get drawn I just hope I come back with both arms.

Comment

JD Murphree alligator hunt - boat rental

Tristar93, I saw that a few years ago you were looking for options for renting an appropriate boat for the alligator hunt out near JD Murphree. Did you ever find an appropriate rental option? A couple friends and I were drawn for the hunt out there and are in the exact same situation. Any help you could give would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comment

Xfire720, what days did you get drawn?

Comment

Working...
                              X