Outboard Engine help- Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard Engine help- Honda

OK looking for things to chase on this one.

Kid took boat out and called me and said it was dead getting no power at all to starter. Got towed in. I go to work on it. Starter getting no juice. Can arc starter over and start boat. Find a 150 amp bar fuse that is blown. Part is on order.
    Then strange thing happens - I turn key and it now starts. Fuse has not been replaced yet. Any ideas on the source of the problem-- Key switch or kill switch? Neutral switch in controls? And why would it start working? Wish it was still not working so I could locate the problem. If you have ideas please let me know if you have had similar happen.

Sticking relay, or neutral switch in the binnacle, maybe.

Intermittent problems are the worst.

Comment

Outboards are the worst! I've created many a new cuss word over boat motors. But that is weird. Usually if its a kill switch issue an alarm will sound. But it would still turn over just not fire. Now not being in neutral could do it.

Comment

Maybe I blew the 150 amp bar fuse arcing over to start the boat and its just a neutral switch with corrosion. I'm chasing a ghost at this point and it is frustrating as I know it will appear at the worst possible time again.

If the neutral switch was faulty would I still be able to arc over at the starter and get fire?

Comment

gear shift probably wasn't in neutral positon all the way
          Ive had it happen, wont turn over, put in gear and back to neutral, and bam starts right up

Comment

First thing I would check is the battery connections. Make sure you don’t have wing nuts. The battery should be a 1000 cranking amps and have hex nuts tightened with a wrench.

Comment

It wasn’t gear shift position or battery terminal. Checked with meter. Wish I wouldn’t have arced starter before checking the 150a bar fuse. Don’t know if I blew fuse or kid did at this point

Comment

I had the opposite trouble before. I couldn't turn the engine off the first time. Then it wouldn't start. It was intermittent. Finally found a loose ground strap that went around an isolation point, some rubber grommets. Anyway, tightened the bolts on that ground and trouble went away

Comment

"Then strange thing happens - I turn key and it now starts. Fuse has not been replaced yet." So it starts without the fuse? The fuse is there to complete the circuit. Sounds like your short to ground somewhere. If you replace the fuse and it will not start looking for ground wire corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                    gear shift probably wasn't in neutral positon all the way
                    Ive had it happen, wont turn over, put in gear and back to neutral, and bam starts right up
                    This! Kids were in the boat the night before and bumped the shifter just a tad. It looked as though it was in neutral. I was at the boat ramp when it happened. I went and replaced the battery and everything and still nothing. Finally realized what it was after a call to a fellow tbher! I was pizzed but laughed at the same time because I didn't think to check that.

Comment

Don't know if the Honda outboards have them but an intermittent starter solenoid issue, possibly? Back in the olden days, I've had to give one or two a gentle tap to wake them up.....

Comment

Not real familiar with honda but I'm also going to say bad relay, they will play this game with you until the relay goes totally out. Can get a replacement at auto parts stores for some brands.

Comment

I checked everything.i wouldn’t be able to arc over and start if motor was not in neutral. I’m not sure about the neutral switch in the controls though. I had no power to the key wire at the starter with the key engaged- now after something is making contact again it is. I guess I’ll go from motor forward checking all connections through harness and key and do the same for the kill switch. It is just hard when chasing a ghost. If I could only get it to malfunction again I could chase it and find the issue

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            I checked everything.i wouldn’t be able to arc over and start if motor was not in neutral. I’m not sure about the neutral switch in the controls though. I had no power to the key wire at the starter with the key engaged- now after something is making contact again it is. I guess I’ll go from motor forward checking all connections through harness and key and do the same for the kill switch. It is just hard when chasing a ghost. If I could only get it to malfunction again I could chase it and find the issue

Drag it 500 miles to a lake you've always wanted to fish, on a holiday weekend, after taking a week off work and booking a cabin for the week. I guarantee it will malfunction then!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              Drag it 500 miles to a lake you've always wanted to fish, on a holiday weekend, after taking a week off work and booking a cabin for the week. I guarantee it will malfunction then!
                              Fact!

Comment

Working...
                              X