2 - Stroke or 4 - Stroke Outboard Boat Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 - Stroke or 4 - Stroke Outboard Boat Motor

I just sold my Evinrude Outboard in the Classifieds .. It was Mis-Matched to my Boat ...

Settled on a 6HP but Really reading a LOT of information on 2-Stroke Vs 4-Stroke Motors .. Information overload with no info pointing me in a direction.

Most Manufactures are only making @ 20 % of their Motors 2-Stroke due to Emissions . I've heard 4-Strokes are cleaner but cost more and maintenance is costly ... Anybody with experience and information would be appreciated ..

Take Care and Be Careful

Been outta the boat game for years but 4 stroke is incredibly nice from what I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had my first 4 stroke for a couple of years now. I would take it over a 2 stroke any day. I don’t know what the referral to costly maintenance is, just normal lower unit oil change and a new impeller every couple a years. Only additional maintenance is changing the engine oil that cost about $60 doing it my self but feeding a 2 stroke-2 cycle oil all year probably averages out about the same.

Comment

4 stroke without a 2nd thought.

Burns less fuel and has less maintenance.

Oh and they are quiet.

I can run WOT with my 150 trimmed out, and have a conversation at normal volume with the person setting next to me.

It would t surprise me that within the next 3-5 years you won’t be able to buy a 2 stroke outboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will rebuild a Yamaha 3 cylinder for my next boat .
          Only reason is I want it light .
          17.5 aluminum with a 70 tiller
          Otherwise 4 stroke is great

Comment

One thing to consider; in general, 4-s' weigh a slight bit more than 2 strokes do in most of the smaller engines due to the added parts to make them 4 strokes. That is part of the reason smaller OB 2 strokes were/are popular on smaller jons and other like craft who are more weight conscientious. Today's 2strokes are nothing compared to those of 20+ years ago. And the 4's today are nothing compared to the 2's of 20+ years ago either.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-11-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

4 stroke all the way. I've owned both & currently have a 50hp Honda 4 stroke & a 175hp Suzuki 4 stroke.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go 4 stroke. Very few new 2 strokes being manufactured anymore and the smaller ones they make are sold in counties where emissions rules are less strict like some places in south america. Not sure if Yamaha or Mercury even make a 2 strokes anymore, Evinrude does but they are losing market share, the big Honda and Suzuki are 4 stroke only.

Comment

2 stroke every time.

Comment

Something about that smell of a 2 stroke and salty air in the morning. Nothing like it. But I will get a 4 stroke when my 90 OceanPro kicks the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      2 stroke every time.

I’m with this guy. Love the smell of a 2 stroke and they are a simpler, lighter weight design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We’ve got a 115 hp Mercury 4 stroke on dads tracker 190. Super quiet and runs great. And so far upkeep has been pretty simple. Oil/oil filter change once a year and you’re good

Comment

4 stroke all the way.

Comment

OP, guess it would have helped if some on here knew what size boat it was going on. I just happened to read your other post about your boat. And why you sold your larger motor.

Comment

I've had both. Currently both my boats have 2 strokes on them. I wanted a 3 cylinder yamaha for my 16 ft jon boat . And I put a g2 on my Boatright because I like hole shot in the marsh.. if I had a glass boat I'd probably run a 4 stroke because hole shot doesn't really matter..

Comment

Working...
                              X