WMA Boundries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMA Boundries

I went hog hunting at somerville WMA this past weekend and was not very sure on where the boundries were. I have studied the maps but they are not very detailed at all.

Is there a fence around the entire peremiter of the WMA? If not, how do i know i am not tresspassing? I didn't want to go too far to the outside because i wasn't sure if there was gonna be a fence.

Also when i was scouting i found cow tracks and heard a spin feeder go off and i know i was in the within the wma boundries because i was following a creek.

As far as I know, all WMA's have a fence that boarders other properties and they usually are noted with a sign attached to the fence.

You might contact the area manager. He should be able to give you some coordiates that you can use on your GPS.

Comment

depends on the wma you're at. I've been at some that had a fence that bordered the entire area and some had no fence at all. Some will have placards on the trees as boundry markers of the wma and some will paint a stripe on the tree. A red stripe on a tree means private property is on the other side of that tree. But I have followed a map and discovered I was on the edge of private property and never saw a single boundry marker or fence that would have given you any warning that you had crossed over. So the moral to the story, if you're not sure where the boundry is, stay away. You did the right thing. You can always contact someone with the WMA in question or the game warden in that area, tell them where you are hunting and they may be able to tell you if there is a fence on that part of the property or not. Better to be safe than to be caught on the wrong side of the line. If you have a firearm with you, it becomes a felony.

Comment

So did you see anything were you successful ,hope so if not I hop you had a good time , I've never hunted there but I'd like to drive to some of those farther away places, I'm usually at the grasslands lbj

Comment

Have you contacted the nice TPWD folks at Somerville with the boundary questions?

Surely they would be willing to help.

Comment

Check out the somerville thread for info if you haven't already

Get an app like basemap, onx, or huntstand

Use the map provided on the tpwd hunt app to see the boundaries.

Whatever app you use, download an offline map

Feeders are allowed from April 1st to August. I don't think feeders are allowed now, if it was in the wma you should have reported it

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Somerville is great. I run onx and was accurate in there. It is weird because you'll see private land owner names but will be legitimately in bounds. I need to pick up a camera, self sufficient and can help cover ground. Let me know if you want to go out. All the folks I run into private hunt over food which makes me chuckle. "Hunting"

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Original post dated back to 2007

@Blessed to Hunt just an FYI all threads have a date for each post. On a cell phone they are in the upper right hand corner of each post, I believe the same location when using a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                  Original post dated back to 2007

@Blessed to Hunt just an FYI all threads have a date for each post. On a cell phone they are in the upper right hand corner of each post, I believe the same location when using a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he's already developed a habit of this . I tried to let him know on another thread. He did acknolege the fact. A few others on other threads have tried to let him know also.

Maybe he's a GOF, like me.

Comment

At least he's using the search function!~

Comment

Working...
                    X