Elk Arrow Setup: How Slow is TOO Slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I'll definitely keep an eye on that but after removing 65 gr. from the front I suspect I'm likely a little on the stiff side at 65#, in which case the extra #s could get me closer to the sweet spot. I appreciate the input from you guys that spend a lot more time tinkering with this than I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would much rather be on the stiff side than the weak side with a hunting arrow

Comment

Go back to you normal set up and you will be fine.

Comment

Good feedback...but I suppose it took some testing to get there?

70# limbs. Getting bow in spec is the next step in the process.

I had some parameters in mind for fps range and min. arrow weight and just need a few tweaks to get within those ranges.

I removed the insert weight and will play around with different head weights and even possibly a lighter insert weight to see what tunes best.
        If your swapping 50 grains plus, you are going to need to do some arrow swapping.

It's crazy to me guys are changing stuff this late in the season. It's an elk, they aren't cape buffalo. Keep it over 400 grains with broadheads that aren't real steep and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
          If your swapping 50 grains plus, you are going to need to do some arrow swapping.

It's crazy to me guys are changing stuff this late in the season. It's an elk, they aren't cape buffalo. Keep it over 400 grains with broadheads that aren't real steep and your good to go.
          I'm still six weeks out. Lots of arrows will be flown downrange during that time. It's not like equipment tweaks change my form or shooting ability.

I have 300s and 340s that i'll settle on next week once my new string is on and the bow is setup. I think a few of you forget that there's a 10+ lb. adjustment on the draw weight of most bows simply by turning a "knob." I have no doubt that I can get both the 300s and 340s to fly equally well out of my bow, depending on what parameters I'm willing to trade off.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Im not real technical on my arrows, but I have killed more than 10 bulls using a carbon express maxima 350s with a 125 Silver Flame XL, shooting 70# and 270 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
              Your 436 gr Beamans will work just fine for elk.
              Originally posted by Pernell View Post
              Im not real technical on my arrows, but I have killed more than 10 bulls using a carbon express maxima 350s with a 125 Silver Flame XL, shooting 70# and 270 fps.
              Come on, guys, this is FUN! It's all part of the process and I'm having a blast! I have been absolutely CONSUMED by this hunt since February. I love hunting whitetails, but I haven't been this excited about bowhunting - especially during the entire offseason - in a decade (maybe two!)

I still have my old Pierson Spoiler that would be "just fine", but there may be (likely) better options. My cotton/polyester camo in my closet (Predator, GG, Brush Country, Bushlan, etc.) would work, but I just couldn't resist checking out the cool "technical" First Lite gear! My BCG's have worked fine for years, and yet I opted for some $30 drawers to support the boys!

I've changed my pack, sleep system, layering system, release, sight, boots and even camera system, mostly for this trip! I've spent money on things I probably didn't need to spend. I've probably fired more arrows from my bow in the last three months than I had in the previous ten years! I'm tinkering with new broadheads and different arrows, in part simply to feed my obsession with this trip!

In the end, I may revert back to the original and have half a dozen heavyweight pig bullets, along with a bit more knowledge about my equipment and how it reacts to different setups.

Besides, it all makes for good discussion forum fodder! I'm enjoying the journey!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Come on, guys, this is FUN! It's all part of the process and I'm having a blast! I have been absolutely CONSUMED by this hunt since February. I love hunting whitetails, but I haven't been this excited about bowhunting - especially during the entire offseason - in a decade (maybe two!)

I still have my old Pierson Spoiler that would be "just fine", but there may be (likely) better options. My cotton/polyester camo in my closet (Predator, GG, Brush Country, Bushlan, etc.) would work, but I just couldn't resist checking out the cool "technical" First Lite gear! My BCG's have worked fine for years, and yet I opted for some $30 drawers to support the boys!

I've changed my pack, sleep system, layering system, release, sight, boots and even camera system, mostly for this trip! I've spent money on things I probably didn't need to spend. I've probably fired more arrows from my bow in the last three months than I had in the previous ten years! I'm tinkering with new broadheads and different arrows, in part simply to feed my obsession with this trip!

In the end, I may revert back to the original and have half a dozen heavyweight pig bullets, along with a bit more knowledge about my equipment and how it reacts to different setups.

Besides, it all makes for good discussion forum fodder! I'm enjoying the journey!

That’s what it’s all about!

Comment

This is a great discussion. I went through an unscientific, arrow building phase a while back through trial and error. I played with Victory, Axis, FMJ's, Beamans and a few more and finally settled on the FMJ's. Simply because I got them up to 495 grains and they shoot consistently out of both of my bows. Mathews and Hoyt. Every other arrow I played with had inconsistencies when switching between bows. I am also a cheap skate and arrows are expensive so I want to buy only what fills all of my needs. I am currently shooting 65 pounds out of both bows and the arrows are 340's cut to 27.25 with 140 grain heads. The Mathews is running about 257 FPS and the Hoyt is around 290. I wouldn't hesitate to take either bow after elk and I have. I just gotta get an opportunity to actually let an arrow fly on one.

Comment

I just upgraded my arrow setup as well. Sounds a lot like what you are testing. The great staff at Leading Edge got me where I wanted.
                    Pierce 300s
                    29”
                    20g up front
                    100g ST Vipers
                    Fusion vanes

456g total weight and my HeliM is pushing them 268 at 68 lb draw.

Comment

You know "bossman" you're gonna have a whole other set of "issues" if you actually stick one of those big suckers and get him on the ground! You need to change your knife, get you a lightweight chop axe, some bear repellant, have a buddy lined up to watch out for bears while you cut a pole to prop the bull's leg up enough to get at the guts, You need to shoot a couple hogs and skin 'em out on the ground for practice skinning/caping an 800+ pound lump of dead weight lying flat on the ground... It ain't easy to do and keep the meat reasonably clean... Then once you get the sucker cut up in small enough pieces to carry out, you gotta have a small army to help with the pack out, or enough rope/bags to hand the pieces up high enough to keep the bears off it until you can take a couple pieces out and come back for the rest.... That bow n arra thing is just the beginning!! BUT like you said, it's all part of the fun... and frankly about as much fun as the actual hunt!

Comment

Let me guess, your wife doesn't know how much money you have spent does she?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                          Let me guess, your wife doesn't know how much money you have spent does she?

Probably better left undisclosed!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I've been following this thread and have learned a lot. Thanks Michael for being a public guinea pig! I've been playing with a heavier set-up as well and have been getting lots of help from a couple guys on here. So much to learn!

Comment

I certainly cant out think all that has been posted above. So all I can add is a word of encouragement that comes from tipping over a few of those mountain ghosts you wish to chase. All of which have been using a setup similar to what you are now leaning to (a dren pushing 425grn arrows w/100 grn fix blade heads flying ~ 255 fps). It has worked very well. Yours will too as long as you can accurately shoot the spot at the distance required. With that in mind at an extended distance, slow arrows are not your friend. Elk are never exactly where you ranged/or estimated the distance when the moment of truth comes. So you will want to be confident that you can shoot well even of your yardage guess is inaccurate. A faster arrow provides you a little margin in that respect. So your compromise to pick up some speed at the cost of a little mass is a good thing.

best wishes to you

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                                I certainly cant out think all that has been posted above. So all I can add is a word of encouragement that comes from tipping over a few of those mountain ghosts you wish to chase. All of which have been using a setup similar to what you are now leaning to (a dren pushing 425grn arrows w/100 grn fix blade heads flying ~ 255 fps). It has worked very well. Yours will too as long as you can accurately shoot the spot at the distance required. With that in mind at an extended distance, slow arrows are not your friend. Elk are never exactly where you ranged/or estimated the distance when the moment of truth comes. So you will want to be confident that you can shoot well even of your yardage guess is inaccurate. A faster arrow provides you a little margin in that respect. So your compromise to pick up some speed at the cost of a little mass is a good thing.

best wishes to you

Awesome! Thanks for the input and encouragement!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X