Laser on a compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser on a compound

I've mounted laser pointers and BB gun lasers on my compound before, but I wanted to do a serious one, with hogs running around near me.

I have a Laserlyte that fit's the tactical mount under my XD, but I found it would wander a bit from the 45 acp rounds, plus it will not fit in my Blackhawk serpa holster. The Laserlyte is pretty expensive ($100+), but there are others if you check Cabelas for a lot less, only larger.

An idea was born- put it on my PSE.

I have the predecessor to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest- I bought it 10 years ago next month from the guy in Pennsylavania that Muz licensed the rights to manufacture and market. It's very similar to the ZER. What's notebale is any piece of aluminum would work and be able to do the same thing, like mount it through extra sight holes in the riser, or bend a piece of aluminum and mount it in the stabilizer hole.

I started by using a dremel mototool and a thin blade and cutting a slot on the sides of the aluminum. I lucked out that it was the right thickness so that I could tighten the 2 allen screws and lock it on.

To my amazement, with a little adjusting of exactly where I placed it, I was able to get the laser dot to match exactly with my 20 yard pin.

I'll report later with how it works in a tactical engagement.

Here's some pictures. I've done a lot of projects on my bow, so there is a custom high-wrist grip made from bondo, I moved my sight 'holes' down and forward using a threaded union and plumbers epoxy, and I silicon'd a piece of clear plastic over the Cobra's fiber optic pin wires to protect them when I'm busting brush hunting. Not pretty, but there's no points for pretty where I hunt.

Grooves cut.

Front:

Side:

The "dot" on the door.

Great Stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looking forward to a report!

Comment

I like the "golden retriever" sign on the door! lol

Comment

Awesome pic tell us how it works in the field!

Comment

Cool.

Just remember you can't use it to harvest "game animals" (at least in Texas). Should be fine on hogs!

Comment

Hogs @ night only here on a depredation permit.

I found those golden retriever stickers, and have 1 (had 2) and bought for a good friend who's had several, and they foster home for NorCal golden retriever rescue, she ran outside and put it on the back for her car immediately.

I tried it out at dusk at the range last night in the broadhead pit, and I need to do a bit-more fine tuning, it was shooting 18 inches left and 6 inches low at 20 yards- unless I hold 6 inches high and 18 inches right???

Laserlyte sells them for bows too, they mount on a stablizer. I'd mount it closer to the axis of the arrow, since then the drop below the dot beyond 20 yards will not be as large as having is down below (I had to draw a diagram to convince myself of that).

Comment

I had seen these before but you just remeinded me of them... Great stuff!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.

Comment

I have kicking around some ideas as well to mount a laser on my bow for pigs at night.

keep us posted!

Comment

I did some 'realignment' in my garage, set it up at 10 yards in a portable workmate workbench with a vise, then moved the dot half the distances- on the same door. I've not had a chance to try it out, maybe tomorrow eve?

I did find another web site mentioned on a pistol web site, he has all kinds of lasers, and pretty good prices, too on some of them.

Glock Parts Kits, Gunsmithing Tools, AR15 Accessories, Scopes, Red Dots, and more

Comment

Working...
                    X