What to look for when picking a lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for when picking a lab

My loyal buddy passed away last month. He was given to me at 2 years old. No papers no pedigree. None of that mattered his obedience and hunting abilities were always great. I would take another one just like him if I could. With that said I know the next dog will be a totally different personality. I prefer a calm lab with hunting background. While I know the work that goes into field trials, I dont need titles in their lineage and those dogs can be more high strung. When trying to find a puppy what should I look for in the parents and owners? Also I have not had a puppy since I was a young boy. What should I look for when picking a pup out of a litter? Thanks

It's a really old method that some may poo-poo but from listening to you I would read Richard Wolters books be it Gun Dog or Water Dog...both go through the puppy stages & when / what to bring home. Finding the right breeder is your primary concern after the quick & easy read. You sound like the perfect candidate to train your dog to suit your needs & this will help get you started.

Me, I would want a smaller lab vs a large simply because I primarily hunt dove / whitewing vs large waterfowl & they do better in the south tx heat. Color is important to some but it's my understanding you want all black nose / eyes for good breeding, but sure there are more educated in that aspect.

Good Luck...if the dog is going to be inside, I highly recommend a doggy door to help spring board the potty training!!

Sorry for the loss & understand all too well. A puppy is what always fixes it for me.

Comment

Flat head vs knot head

Comment

I’ve always spent about an hour and a half picking my pup out of a litter. One will stand out in my experience. My first pup I picked came up and put its head in my lap. The second one I chose sat by himself and watched me while his brothers and sisters were playing. Little things like that always stand out to me and my dogs have always been loyal to me and only me. I don’t have kids so that is what I was looking for. Spend some time with the litter and something will stick out to you. You will know it when you see it.

As far as parents go, as long as they have a hunting background I’ve always found that I can adjust the manners of the pup. My pair had pups and the personalities were all over the board on those pups.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I loaned out my copy of water dog and never got it back. But yes that was very good info. I too prefer a smaller frame lab also. I am looking for an all around dog. Tucker, hunted fished and traveled everywhere with me and then later with my wife. He hunted and loved to go fishing or even just hang out when I was working. He even kept someone from breaking in one night. I trained him mostly myself and worked him with a coworker some also. He would take hand signals and in old age when he was deaf he still could mind and take commands. I never tried to train for blood trailing but think that will be on the schedule for any new pup. Tucker had a liver colored nose. Until saltwater slick posted about his dog being a dudley I had never heard that term. No looking back tucker would be classified as a dudley also. I have did a little reading in the nose being black though and it sounds like solid advice

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Had to put my lab down a couple years ago and still not ready for another one yet. Kalani was the best dog I’ve ever had, my road dog for 13 years. He was a big English with a huge head (he was about 130 in his prime). I had actually wanted another pup from the litter but after a couple visits the breeder said he and I were a better match and she was dead on.

I had a lot of help from the breeder training him because they were close. Later I trained him myself as a therapy dog. He did great as a bird dog and therapy dog, but was crap at field trials. Mainly my fault because if he got distracted and went off to play in the ditch or chase a rabbit I let him

Find a good breeder and just go meet the pups, one will find you. I really want another lab now that I have a little girl but don’t know if I can get another chocolate

Comment

Skinny can you elaborate? I had always heard a dog with a knot head was smart. While I did not think that was scientific. I would love to understand more about the flat head vs the knot head.

Comment

Holligan,Hooligan, sorry about your lab. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I did about 100 hours of research before I went to pick mine, got there and he picked me. Was first pup to come to me and everything looking for. We have pups coming soon in classifieds section FYI

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
                      Holligan,Hooligan, sorry about your lab. Thanks for the advice.
                      Thank you, sorry for yours as well. If you’re interested I can get you the breeders info, they’re actually in Ok these days. I’ve still got my office in boxes from our move but should be able to get their info in a couple days

Comment

I have a female British Lab and shes the best dog I've ever had. I got her at 12 months old and she had started training with the previous owner who also owned her mother. The mother was out of Braken Fen kennels and the Father was a Wildrose Kennels dog. Those two operations train dogs for the Ducks Unlimited crew. My girl weighs about 55 pounds and she is very calm around the house and great with the kids but her whole demeanor changes when she sees me in camo. She is strictly business when its time to hunt. I honestly believe she'd pass out from exhaustion before she quit retrieving.

Comment

I am not sure at this point if I will pick a breeder or find a lab without papers. Today is the first day I started thinking about the options for a new dog. I am like James and research alot before I get into anything.

Comment

Thanks James. I will keep that in mind.

Comment

Blood trail. I really like the British style labs. It sounds like you have a great dog. The personality sounds great for an all around dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X