New technique (to me) for fried backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New technique (to me) for fried backstrap

Have been eating fried deer backstrap since I had teeth to chew. My family has always cut the strap thin, soaked in vinegar for about 30 minutes, tenderized with hammer, and then flowered and fried. Always been good as gold, but from time to time a little chewy and much care would have to be taken to keep the small pieces from frying too much.

Was hunting with a guy who told me this method, which I tried the other day and I'll never do it any other way from now on.

Take the backstrap and clean all sinew and white colored pieces off.
    Cut into thick 2 - 2.5" medallions.
    Soak in vinegar water for 30 min then rinse clean.
    Soak in buttermilk for 1 hour then drain, but do not rinse.
    Position medallions on covered counter or chopping block and season then hammer flat with tenderizing mallet. This will form flat steaks about the size of your palm and larger. Flour and deep fry.

This makes the most amazing tasting and tender steaks Ive ever had. Completely melt in your mouth and cut with a spoon. Also give large pieces to work with and deep fry like a chicken fried steak.

My wife doesnt care for backstrap but she had second helpings of this and took leftovers for lunch the next day....SOOOOO GOOD!!!

CW

Sounds good! But..... you lost me when you said you have left overs!

Comment

Sounds good. Need some straps !!!

Comment

Sounds good. Hope I can get some this year!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Backstrap schnitzel, yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
            Have been eating fried deer backstrap since I had teeth to chew. My family has always cut the strap thin, soaked in vinegar for about 30 minutes, tenderized with hammer, and then flowered and fried. Always been good as gold, but from time to time a little chewy and much care would have to be taken to keep the small pieces from frying too much.

Was hunting with a guy who told me this method, which I tried the other day and I'll never do it any other way from now on.

Take the backstrap and clean all sinew and white colored pieces off.
            Cut into thick 2 - 2.5" medallions.
            Soak in vinegar water for 30 min then rinse clean.
            Soak in buttermilk for 1 hour then drain, but do not rinse.
            Position medallions on covered counter or chopping block and season then hammer flat with tenderizing mallet. This will form flat steaks about the size of your palm and larger. Flour and deep fry.

This makes the most amazing tasting and tender steaks Ive ever had. Completely melt in your mouth and cut with a spoon. Also give large pieces to work with and deep fry like a chicken fried steak.

My wife doesnt care for backstrap but she had second helpings of this and took leftovers for lunch the next day....SOOOOO GOOD!!!

CW

I've never soaked vension in vinegar... what's the reasoning for that?

Comment

I always soak in water just enough to drain the blood, I also dont know about vinegar...

Comment

Kills musky or gamey taste that is sometimes in meat from breeding male animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bottom line: Grandma always did it, so therefore I do too.....

Comment

[QUOTE=Black Gold;12662491]Bottom line: Grandma always did it, so therefore I do too.....

Im not bashing, I just never did it, and a lil secret, the smell of vinegar will make me very nauseous.... So, I dont like it even in my Casa...

Comment

Getting all the "silver skin/sinew" trimmed from the meat is first step in getting it tender for sure.

I may try this without the vinegar though.

Comment

I've never had an issue with gamey tasting venison. It's all in preparation and care. Getting the sinu and silver skin out are a must for tender meat.

Comment

I guess I'll never understand why folks chicken fry backstrap. Thats like frying a prime ribeye

Way too many other cuts to fry. And none of them need vinegar or buttermilk to be tender and tasty

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            I guess I'll never understand why folks chicken fry backstrap. Thats like frying a prime ribeye

Way too many other cuts to fry. And none of them need vinegar or buttermilk to be tender and tasty
                            I tenderize then chicken fry meat from the quarters. Back strap is saved for better dishes... haha

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post

Try it EXACTLY as done above and then tell me what you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X