X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luminant WMA

Anyone every hunted at Luminant?

If so, what did you think of it?

I have been out there once years ago. This place is about 35 min from the house. I used to work with a guy that would kill a nice buck every bow season. I have heard it gets crowded the first couple of weeks of gun season, then kinda drops off.
    When I went, I drove in from the FM road. Saw a lot of boot tracks, but when I crossed the creek, nothing but deer tracks. Creek was full bank, but was able to find a place to cross. Woods looked good. Never went back due to that I hunt private land.

Comment

If you go in off 7 its pretty thick in some spots. I hunted the pipeline once and saw tons of deer but all out of range.

Comment

Thanks yall!
        After posting I did some searching and was able to find the other threads on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
          Thanks yall!
          After posting I did some searching and was able to find the other threads on it.
          I stay in the Franklin area during the week and might go scout 607 to see if it's worth hunting this year. I am hunting on a MLD in the same area but only get to hunt it 3-4 weeks on a draw basis. 607 might be the answer to kill the rest of my time during the evenings after work.

Comment

Drove past entrance off 7 this afternoon. Saw couple bucks hitting acorns on wooded edge of private land bordering wma.

Comment

I was out there after squirrels back in March, and had a nubbin buck come walking right up to me, had a dog collar around it’s neck. Somebody’s pet that they dumped out there, but didn’t bother to take the collar off. Poor thing would have been choking to death with his neck swelling this fall, but I got the collar off. The little buck was completely unafraid, if he’s still kicking around out there he’ll be like shooting fish in a barrel for somebody this year. He was following me around while I squirrel-hunted, just right in my hip pocket, looking for a handout. I tried to scare him off by shooting into the ground between us, and he didn’t even flinch at the shots.

Comment

Should have left the collar on or just loosened it, seen this before with a bandana on tame deer. I guess they are usually abandoned fawns that people raised.

Comment

Been looking at hunting there for years. About an hour from waco I think, Just never had time to do it.

Comment

Hunted there a few times in college and saw a lot of deer. Also killed a monster boar out there. I would hunt it now before gun season comes around. Way too many people out there with guns on weekends.

Comment

Does anyone know how much water is out there right now? My usual spots are completely flooded on another property, and I was thinking of heading out that way.

Comment

I was there the beginning of the month but it's soaked too. Didn't see anything

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by birdsongty1 View Post
                          I was there the beginning of the month but it's soaked too. Didn't see anything

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
                          10-4. Thanks bud!

Comment

Past couple days

My buddy and I have been out there the last few days hunting from the pipeline road and have seen a few doe and a couple nice bucks the low land is still wet but nothing like Waco where I've been hunting most of this season. We were able to stalk in on a nice 8point but by the time we got within range it was just too dark to take a responsible shot. I went out this morning and forgot that this weekend is the Youth hunt. There were a lot of orange shirts out from both entrances and there was minimal movement. I sat from 30 min before light till noon and only saw one doe moving next to the fence line.

From what I have noticed hunting Waco and now here people don't walk very far from the beaten trail. IF you were to walk or explore rather into an area away further than most people's comfort you can find really nice areas with low pressured deer. I applied this to Waco and pulled a nice 12 point with a split main beam on the right side. Public land is for all of us so get out and enjoy what little land TX has to offer. You may just find yourself in my tracks shooting the biggest buck of your life on public land.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Comment

I'm going to try and hit the very last day of the archery season tomorrow evening. My expectations aren't very high, so we'll see if I get extremely lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X