Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

We have 175 acres... family land. The neighbor to our south and west is high fencing his 1,000 acre place. That's fine… It's his right to do so. We actually have two issues…
    1) when he does this we will be "high fenced" on three sides
    2) he is asking us to split the costs! He says it's the "neighborly thing to do".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about doing our fair share. Over the years, we have done roadwork, replaced fencing, etc. our other neighbors have always helped out.

I think this is different… The current low fence is in need of repair in some places, But it's keeping our cows in with no problems. we plan to replace it in the next two years.

I told him we will replace the low fence with a new low fence and he can help us pay for that if he wants, but we will not contribute any money towards a high fence...

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's funny. Tell him "No Thanks"

Comment

Seems fair to me

Comment

His obligation if that's what HE CHOOSES, not yours.

Comment

Uh
          Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

nope, tell him you'll pay half of the lower part of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by 3R_RANCH View Post
              we will replace the low fence with a new low fence and he can help us pay for that if he wants, but we will not contribute any money towards a high fence...
              X2 with what you said. anything more is his desire, not a need, and he can foot the bill for that.

Comment

I agree with you, I wouldn't help for a cent of a high fence. He isn't being neighborly by fencing your native deer in away from you, so why should you pay for his fence??

Typically high fences are set-back into the property so there is a brush strip to maintain on the outside. Thus, they aren't on the property boundary, and even more reason for you not to split the bill. I would tell him to hit the road if it were me.

Comment

Nope. You will be helping him secure his hunting area and then you will only be able to see the deer through the fence. He wants a high fence then he can pay for it himself.

Comment

Tell him the neighborly thing to do is watch him spend his money!

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                      Yea maybe 20% of the cost.............

Comment

I would offer to contribute half the cost of a low fence.

Comment

Just tell him you don't believe in high fences. Most of TBH will back you up.

Comment

What a jerk. Tell him no thanks but you'll split the cost of three-strand barb wire.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                              I like this better

Comment

Working...
                              X