X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cheap horse is my best horse

Comment

Update:

Well it has been a little over a month since we picked up "Dolly" (my wife wanted to name her that) . So far, she has been exceeding expectations. She is really good-natured and probably one of the calmest horses I have ever had. I took her to my nephew a little over a week ago for him to "break" or train her. He said she has been ridden before, carries her head well, and things are going well.

Comment

Is he using a bosal and martingale?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Is he using a bosal and martingale?
          If I understood him correctly, so far he used simply a rope halter . Not sure if he put a bit in her mouth yet, but he said for a bit, he will usually start with a snaffle bit (like a mule bit).

Comment

Just for educating purposes usually when you are starting a young colt you start with a side pull bridle as shown below. This is so you can really teach them flex their head without pulling on their mouth. That nose band raw hide will rub a sore spot if they don't yield to the pull but that sore spot will teach them quickly to give to the pressure and the sore spot will go away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sidepullbridle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	24498991

After they are giving in to the side pull and enough progress has been made then you move the Half Breed Bridle which has an attached snaffle bit but still has the nose rope. You can still pull on them but not as much as a true snaffle bit. Once the are yielding well to this you may then move to a true snaffle bit.

Good Luck, Ranchdog

Click image for larger version

Name:	halfbreedbridle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	24498992

Comment

Best horse I've ever known was named Dolly. My father bought her, for my mother's dad, in 1977. She was already broke, and right at 3. Over her 31 yrs, she gave rides to over 100 grandkids, & great grandkids, as well as numerous in-laws, on trails, in rodeos, and all over the Quachita Mts. Only accident ever, involved my cousin, and for whatever reason, she threw him. Broke both his arms when he hit the ground.
              Being 16 and having to be bathed and have your ***** wiped, hurt worse than than the broken arms, is the story he tells now.

Comment

Don't force anything on her and you'll be fine. As with anything else make it fun. When you start getting aggravated and she does too quit for the day and start over the next day. Patience,patience,patience. Lots of great videos on YouTube.

Comment

Update on Dolly

So far everything is going fine. My nephew is about to wrap up 30 days of riding and I got on her this morning. It has probably been about 20 years since I have been on a horse.(doesn't seem that long ). Man, time sure does fly. Anyway, she can be a little lazy, but she does stay calm. I think she will work out fine for what I will have her for. Had a pic of me on her, but had trouble uploading.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Sounds like things are going well!

Comment

Working...
                    X