No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was the one to use the last buck tag last year, and it was on a spike. But I did not know they only had a few buck tags.

A deer is a deer to a lot of bowhunters. If you do not have lots of time for hunting then you are better off shooting pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      I was the one to use the last buck tag last year, and it was on a spike. But I did not know they only had a few buck tags.

A deer is a deer to a lot of bowhunters. If you do not have lots of time for hunting then you are better off shooting pretty much anything.
      Well I guess you do not have any reason to kill a spike this year since you already have too many bucks on your other hunting spot per your other post. Lol!!

Looks like they are issuing 15 spike tags per Murray's email below:

I have 15 Buck tags and 80 Does for the Wildlife Management Area, 15 Spike tags and 75 Doe Tags for the Special Access Area. I have only handed out 12 Buck Tags and 12 Spike Tags along with 60 Doe Tags to Check In Stations. I will monitor the progress and try to let everybody know how things are going.
      Last edited by swampdonkey; 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Went out last night and this morning i could only hunt til 8am and then work could live without me. LOL No luck.

There is a dead deer or a gut pile real close to the Hike where it going thru the low spot in 11. Real strong odor.

Good luck everyone can't hunt until next month. (weekends)

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
          Well I guess you do not have any reason to kill a spike this year since you already have too many bucks on your other hunting spot per your other post. Lol!!

Looks like they are issuing 15 spike tags per Murray's email below:

I have 15 Buck tags and 80 Does for the Wildlife Management Area, 15 Spike tags and 75 Doe Tags for the Special Access Area. I have only handed out 12 Buck Tags and 12 Spike Tags along with 60 Doe Tags to Check In Stations. I will monitor the progress and try to let everybody know how things are going.

I would actually rather kill a spike versus a small legal 8 point. Why waste a good animal if I would not be proud of it? Would you rather me shoot the little legal 8 point and burn a tag or kill a spike?

And that other thread was not meant to be some sort of bragging thread. The biggest buck I saw was maybe 15.5" spread and would score maybe 110"

And I did not plan on shooting a spike BTW at G-town this year. And last year I probably would not have shot the one I did if I knew they only had a few buck tags.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            I would actually rather kill a spike versus a small legal 8 point. Why waste a good animal if I would not be proud of it? Would you rather me shoot the little legal 8 point and burn a tag or kill a spike?
            I do not want to get in a pissing contest by any means. It's just that there are some realy good deer on Lake GT if your willing to put in the time and effort. My avatar pic came off my trailcam on GT last week. And he is one several good bucks I have on camera out there. So you do not have to shoot a little legal 8 point, just put in your time and wait for a one you would be proud of. If you want to stock the freezer, whack as many doe's as needed. Just saying...

Comment

He looks very much like the buck I chased for 2 years. Ran with a crab claw 9. Never seen him on hoof. He was nocturnal come Oct. Good luck. He is getting old!

Comment

anyone have any luck?

Comment

How do you get to be able to hunt in this place?

Comment

Originally posted by trouttracker View Post
                    How do you get to be able to hunt in this place?
                    Trout it is by draw. Look back to June and there are some post on how it's done. You can also go to http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/georgetown/ and hunting to see info on it.

Comment

I went to the Lake today to see the water level from Russel park. Corps guys told me that half the buck tags are allready used for the year and all spikes in the general area. If you guys are chasing a buck you had better take off work and go as I don't think there will be any tags left by the end of October. I sure hope someone shot a few of the spikes I had in my yard. If this 7 point makes it to when the Corps tags are gone Im gonna let my wife or kid burn a regualr tag on him.

Comment

This is what I received via email at 10am this morning.

As of yesterday October 6 a total of 3 Spikes have been taken out of the Special Access Area and 8 Does have been taken from both areas. No bucks have been taken out of the Wildlife Management Area. I know some people are concerned about the morning check in hours. Will look into to see if can modify the hours. Because these are volunteers I can only require them to work 20Hrs a week. They are usually happy to check you in if they are at their site even if it is after their scheduled hours.

Comment

Buck, spike, or doe, really doesn't matter to me. It is hard to get a trophy buck which can be proud of on public land. It is not the hard work issue, it is a luck, like play lottery. I believe most public land hunters are hard workers. A buck which can be "easily" tagged by hard work won't be able to grow up to a trophy size. A trophy one does know how to play with hunters. I usually have some trophy size bucks visit my spot, but only one or two times may randomly show up during legal time in the whole season. Unfortunately, none of those times I was sitting on my stand. Most of time, actually all the times, I left they came in.
                          Public land deer hunting is for fun. Harvest a legal game is the high priority for me.

Comment

Did the lake rise much with that rain?

Comment

Z Razor 007 and I went out this morning. Didn't see anything.

I was wondering about the lake level myself.

Comment

Well, it looks like i got screwed out of hunting there again this year. I hate the politics of the COE. It seems like they would like someone who helps others hunters and donates his time and equipment to help their program. I feel that yall should enjoy what time yaqll have left out there, becouse the wat that they are running it, it will not last. I do not mean any malice to the hunters of this program but to the people running it into the ground. It is a shame to see what was a fine hunting program be destroyed by a few selfish people with a little athourity

Comment

Working...
                                X