What is your accuracy standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your accuracy standard?

We all have different views on what we call "super accurate", but I was wondering what everyone's acceptable standard is. Is it 1.5 MOA, 1 MOA, 3/4 MOA, etc?

For me personally I won't stop load development until I get the rifle to shoot under 1 MOA, preferably 3/4 - 1/2 MOA depending on application. I don't have anything in an AR platform so this is the standard for all of my bolt guns. So far I don't have anything in my safe that wont stay under 1 MOA with a few of them holding 1/2-3/4 MOA.

Just curious!

0.5 MOA at 200

Comment

1 moa

Comment

For a bone stock factory rifle, 1MOA.

For a custom rifle 1/2 MOA or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I honestly don't worry about it nearly as much as some folks. Since I don't have anywhere I'll shoot over 200 yards if it's around a 2'' group or less at 100 I go hunting. I know there's a lot of guys that talk about how accurate their rifles are and spend a bunch of time getting one hole groups but I've just never felt like I needed it in a hunting rifle. Not for my hunting anyway. Most of my rifles will shoot better than I can!!

Comment

if it won't do less than 1 moa it isn't worth keeping,,, hand loads can do a lot for a rifle, most of the time I can get them under 1/2 moa,,,, the newest one I worked on was a Mossburg mpv .223 stock gun doing .225,,, it's a keeper

Comment

.5 moa

Comment

Does "minute of pig vitals" count?...lol

Seriously, I'd like to see 1/2 MOA or better, but like others have said, most of my rifles can do better than I am capable of. I'm working on that too, though. Id really like to be better. The thing that creates accuracy, or the lack thereof, is usually the nut behind the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by T_Sebastian View Post

Seriously, I'd like to see 1/2 MOA or better, but like others have said, most of my rifles can do better than I am capable of. I'm working on that too, though. Id really like to be better. The thing that creates accuracy, or the lack thereof, is usually the nut behind the stock.

This.

I'm happy with 1 MOA for hunting purposes but I'm going to spend the rest of the year trying to hone the craft of long range shooting and learning how to create shooting solutions. Got a new 6.5 Creedmoor on the way to start my journey.

Comment

All my guns shoot better than me, but when I do my part, the groups look like this (including my SBR's and AR's).

Comment

It greatly depends on the gun and purpose. A levergun like my 30/30 with A peep sight, 1 is great 1.5 is more than acceptable and 2 is still fine. A peep sighted ar I want 1.5 or better. A scoped ar or bolt gun I want 1 or better. Anything smaller than those is fine, but for my purposes struggling to squeeze that last .5 or .25 out of a gun is a waste of time and powder.

Comment

1.5 give or take at a hondo

Comment

Depends on the application...

Bench Rest Target Guns need to be at least consistent in the .2's & under using wind flags.

Like Mike, I want custom guns to be at least 1/2" & factory a little under MOA is acceptable.

For my .22's, they need to be a ragged hole at 50yds or minute of quail noggin.

I haven't really got a standard on lever / open sight guns.

Comment

Originally posted by T_Sebastian View Post

I was thinking "minute of deer". My rifles will hold 1" or less three shot groups at 100 yds if I do my part. Most places I hunt, I rarely have a 100 yard shot. If I'm expecting to shoot out to 300 yards, I take my Sako L691 in 300 Wby. It will hold three shots inside .5" consistently.

Comment

I won't keep any rifle that can't shoot .5 with handloads @100yds.
                              This is after I have tweaked the trigger and put a piece of glass on it that I know will hold zero and done any other due diligence needed be it barrel floating, stock bedding and sometimes but not often adding pressure under the barrel in certain places to adjust the harmonics.
                              I have a couple that shoot in the .2's. I wish they all did.

Comment

Working...
                              X