Question for firefighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the test here in SA and did pretty well. I'm hoping to make it into the department. I have one main concern about the job. It is witnessing grizzly carnage, especially children. I have two little ones of my own and I think it might really bother me. For the firefighters reading this, I want to ask. How does it effect you? Is it something you grow accustomed to? Thanks guys.

I think you just kinda get used to it. My wife used to tell me I was numb to stuff like that. When it came to bad scenes involving young kids, it always made me hurt on the inside. You just have to remember that you are one of the few out there trying to help save/keep them alive. Hope you get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
      I think you just kinda get used to it. My wife used to tell me I was numb to stuff like that. When it came to bad scenes involving young kids, it always made me hurt on the inside. You just have to remember that you are one of the few out there trying to help save/keep them alive. Hope you get the job.

My dad was HFD for 30 years and he said the only stuff that bothered him was anything to do with kids.

He had 3 young sons at home when he was in suppression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess you do just grow accustomed to it. Different guys deal with it in different ways. I know early on in my career when my kids were young it bothered me more. Like was previously said, you have to remember you are the one with the desire, knowledge and training to help

Comment

The deal is it affects everyone differently. You have to talk to someone about it, it could be as simple as someone on your shift. The job isn't for everyone, but the only way to find that out is to do the job. For me, knowing that I've done everything I could to save the individual helps me, after most calls me and my partner talk about the call and what could have gone differently. In this career field, you can never start learning. The moment you say I know everything, is the moment you need to go and do something different.

Congratulations on the new job and welcome to the brotherhood. If you ever need anyone to talk to you are more than welcome to call or message me.

Comment

I was SAFD for 32 years and did see some grizzlie stuff but not a lot of "grizzlie" stuff. You focus so much on doing your job that it doesnt bother you much. By the way, what number are you on the list?

Comment

Kids use to not affect me until I had one. It will get to me for a few days and I move on. Sometimes u eill have things trigger the memories but for me I put the thoughts in be back of my mind and try to forget them till the next time. That's what works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some things you do get numb to others you don't. Each of us are different and we change over time as our lives change. Innocent kids are a universal tough one for everybody but like mentioned already you'll have to decide how your going to deal with things. Also, brandonsbird02 said there will be calls we go on that we will have "triggers" that remind us about those calls years later. I have a ghost of over 20 years ago that still pops up every once in a while. It doesn't "cripple" me or makes it to where I regret doing what I do but it is a memory I would rather not have but I can deal with it and continue.

Comment

Just retired after 28 years. Made it all the way to chief. As chief I had many new firefighters ask me tha same thing. Had some that took to drinking, some that just could not do it. Everyone reacts or copes differently. You will know, if it's not for you don't fight it. As a firefighter/ paramedic I didn't think there was much I hadn't seen. That was wrong , now I'm a RN in the ER. All I can say is that God had a plan for me and I can't fight it. Hope you all the best

Comment

Empathy verses Sympathy. It's not your time to grieve. Have compassion but leave it there. It will affect you, no getting around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put in 18 yrs. as a Volunteer, ( had more than enough Commission hours to challenge the test) and like bassmatt said, there are a few calls that haunt you. Mine is a 2 1/2 extrication on an adult male, who passed in my hands after we got him out.

Just remember, you rely on your training... To complete the call. Afterward's is when you think of it. Talk with your team if it affects you.

Just keep in mind, you didn't cause the problem, and take pride in the fact you were able to help solve the call.

Good luck in starting a new career. There is no greater calling than serving your community.

You can always reach out to the many on here who share your passion.

Comment

I don't think I've ever gotten used to it but really just kinda learned how to deal with it. Still have a good number of calls I'll never forget!

Comment

I have been doing it for 31 years now. If your asking questioning it now, especially if you have kid's you might want to rethink the career. I'm constantly having to watch my FF's, some can't cope with it and get out or is terminated, even had one guy get out and later took his own life. At least you are asking the question now, just think good and hard before making that leap. Guess you are still married if you got kids, talk with your wife and make sure she is good with it, it will put some hardship on the marriage at times. On bright side, it is great and rewarding career and I no regrets getting in the career. Good luck to ya.

Comment

73 hit the nail on the head. I remember every kid run over the last 26+ years that didn't end so well. I'm there to give it every chance but I/we didn't have anything to do with the situation. Your just the one who can make it better if at all possible...then you leave it there and know you and your crew did your all. Sometimes I'd like to choke the livin' chiat outta some peeps for their stupidity but again, your just the one who shows up and gives em their best chance at tomorrow. There's a buncha good stuff that happens that'll pump you up too. Never thought I'd deliver 8 babies either but you wake up the next day and your still feelin' purdangood!lol
                            As already stated, may not be for everybody but dam I'm glad I did it. Just have to have good coping skills and not let things eat you up. Carry on and best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                              Some things you do get numb to others you don't. Each of us are different and we change over time as our lives change. Innocent kids are a universal tough one for everybody but like mentioned already you'll have to decide how your going to deal with things. Also, brandonsbird02 said there will be calls we go on that we will have "triggers" that remind us about those calls years later. I have a ghost of over 20 years ago that still pops up every once in a while. It doesn't "cripple" me or makes it to where I regret doing what I do but it is a memory I would rather not have but I can deal with it and continue.
                              Probably couldn't have said it better. When I was first in and my kids were young, kids were hard. After my wife's brain surgery, a woman coming out of a seizure really tore me up. Like he said, it just depends on where you are at in life. The one thing to remember in those situations is that you are showing up to something you neither created or caused. You just do what you can to fix it. 9 out of 10 really bad calls, there is probably nothing you could have really done to change it. Every firefighter has his ghosts. Most of mine are from my earlier part of my career. The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone in those situations. Every firefighter on here would take a phone call in a second to let you vent or talk about a bad call. That you can guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                              X