No announcement yet.

What is your accuracy standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a hunter. Once I get 2-3 , 3-shot groups on a quarter. I am good to go accuracy wise then I start adding on 100 yards at a time and trying to become a better shot leaving the load and scope settings alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Depends on the application...
      ^^this
      and IME it's not usually the gun that is the limitation.

Comment

I usually don't stop till I have 3 shots touching.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          I honestly don't worry about it nearly as much as some folks. Since I don't have anywhere I'll shoot over 200 yards if it's around a 2'' group or less at 100 I go hunting. I know there's a lot of guys that talk about how accurate their rifles are and spend a bunch of time getting one hole groups but I've just never felt like I needed it in a hunting rifle. Not for my hunting anyway. Most of my rifles will shoot better than I can!!
          I could have posted this exactly. I have no interest in punching paper and I can generally hit what I want to up to 300 yards, but I seldom have shots that far. When I used to shoot prairie dogs I used a Savage Predator in 22-250 that will group in a ragged hole at 100. Deer rifles I can live with 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Comment

.5 MOA at 100 yards over 5 shots. If any of my rifles can't do that with my hand loads they won't hold a spot in my safe.

Comment

If you guys want to play with accuracy without "wasting a lot of powder", get you one of these high end PCP airguns... With the glass and software and technology they have now a days, it's like long range shooting but you can do it in your back yard and no one is even likely to hear you. I have a .22 cal. Kalibrgun Cricket that I bought after I had a .25 caliber for a while. After putting a Hawke scope on it and zeroing it in, I shot a white piece of paper at 30 yards with the .25 cal. then proceeded to shoot at that .25 cal. hole with the .22 cal. It was the 4th shot before the hole got any bigger. These things have amazing accuracy, and are the perfect tool to learn trigger control with. They have essentially no recoil so you can watch your shots. They are very accurate when tuned properly and it is about as much fun tuning and tweaking them as working up loads in a powder burner (used to do that too and still have all the stuff). I have doping software on my phone and laptop that is absolutely dead nutz that allows for unbelievable long range shots in the right conditions... They will teach you how to play the wind, mirage, parallax, everything long range shooters do and you can shoot all day for less than 20 bucks! 50 yard head shots on sparrows and turtles is a chip shot. My longest shot to date is 139 yards, a head shot on a turtle sitting on a log in the creek. Messin' round with one of these things will make you a better shot, and develop a confidence level that is hard to beat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4110.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	24501182

Name:	Vulcan-005.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	24501183

Name:	IMG_6222.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	24501184

Comment

.5 MOA or less.

Comment

Similar to Mike and Artos, I'm looking for sub MOA on a factory bolt gun, with handloads. Depends on the rifle, but usually I want .8 or better. I have a couple that shoot consistently in the .3s & .4s with my handloads; and I'm REAL pleased with them. Custom bolt gun better shoot sub .5 MOA with handloads and I'm really looking for something in the .2s-.3s for 3 shots. In reality, I feel like a custom bolt gun should shoot .5 for me with some good factory ammo. I don't own a bench rifle but I'd definitely want one that shoots .2 or better, if I did.

Now, gas guns I'm fine with a 1.25 moa group or smaller. I've never taken them seriously for shooting longer than a couple hundred yards. Recently, though, I got interested in working on getting more accuracy out of my ARs. I'm in the process of rebarreling a 18" LaRue .223 Wylde into a 20" 22 Nosler. I'm looking for .75moa out to a minimum of 300yds. We'll see if I can get there.

Do I need that kind of accuracy to kill a deer or a coyote or a hog? 99% of the time the answer is 'NO.' But it sure is nice to know that, under decent conditions, I can hit whatever I can see through my scope; whether it's 70yds or 700yds. Not just "hit" it but make an ethical shot that'll result in an easy find; without needing to put one of my dogs on it. I love getting paid to find other people's deer but there's no money in finding my own! Lol! More than anything, I just like the challenge of wringing as much accuracy as I can out of ANY rifle. And, I enjoy the challenge of pushing and improving my shooting skills. It's a (expensive) hobby that I enjoy. My wife, not so much! Lol! It's overkill for most people and, IMO, I don't think there's anything wrong with guys who dont seek that level of accuracy. It's not a competition. As long as people get out and shoot and enjoy themselves.....THAT'S what matters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love a gun that shoots pretty little cloverleafs but a gun that shoots in the same place every time you pull the trigger year after year is wonderful.

Comment

Most of mine I have shooting around a 1/2", my competition guns I shoot 5 shot groups. I am a little different on my hunting guns I don't worry so much about group size even though they all shoot under an inch. My concern is the first cold bore shot hitting where it is supposed too, then that the second shot will hit there also. realistically in hunting its that cold bore shot that counts.

Comment

"Only acurate rifles are interesting"

If a bolt gun cant do .5 moa with handloads its out.

I give an AR 1moa

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          Most of mine I have shooting around a 1/2", my competition guns I shoot 5 shot groups. I am a little different on my hunting guns I don't worry so much about group size even though they all shoot under an inch. My concern is the first cold bore shot hitting where it is supposed too, then that the second shot will hit there also. realistically in hunting its that cold bore shot that counts.

Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                            Similar to Mike and Artos, I'm looking for sub MOA on a factory bolt gun, with handloads. Depends on the rifle, but usually I want .8 or better. I have a couple that shoot consistently in the .3s & .4s with my handloads; and I'm REAL pleased with them. Custom bolt gun better shoot sub .5 MOA with handloads and I'm really looking for something in the .2s-.3s for 3 shots. In reality, I feel like a custom bolt gun should shoot .5 for me with some good factory ammo. I don't own a bench rifle but I'd definitely want one that shoots .2 or better, if I did.

Now, gas guns I'm fine with a 1.25 moa group or smaller. I've never taken them seriously for shooting longer than a couple hundred yards. Recently, though, I got interested in working on getting more accuracy out of my ARs. I'm in the process of rebarreling a 18" LaRue .223 Wylde into a 20" 22 Nosler. I'm looking for .75moa out to a minimum of 300yds. We'll see if I can get there.

Do I need that kind of accuracy to kill a deer or a coyote or a hog? 99% of the time the answer is 'NO.' But it sure is nice to know that, under decent conditions, I can hit whatever I can see through my scope; whether it's 70yds or 700yds. Not just "hit" it but make an ethical shot that'll result in an easy find; without needing to put one of my dogs on it. I love getting paid to find other people's deer but there's no money in finding my own! Lol! More than anything, I just like the challenge of wringing as much accuracy as I can out of ANY rifle. And, I enjoy the challenge of pushing and improving my shooting skills. It's a (expensive) hobby that I enjoy. My wife, not so much! Lol! It's overkill for most people and, IMO, I don't think there's anything wrong with guys who dont seek that level of accuracy. It's not a competition. As long as people get out and shoot and enjoy themselves.....THAT'S what matters!

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                            For powder-burners, this is where I'm at... I don't mess with it like I used to BC (Before Children), but it is a fun and rewarding process that an also be VERY frustrating too at the same time! I think that's why I like messin' round with those air guns... exact same thing... tiny little tweaks can tighten a group or can cause you to want to throw something and break things!

When I got my first AR, I was amazed at the accuracy they are capable of! I never thought a spaz-matic would shoot "accurately"... until I got my first really "NICE" AR. I built up an ARP 6.8 SPC II that gets into the high .2's and low .3's consistently with 5 shot groups and it has become my go to rifle for anything I need to shoot with a rifle... I was flabbergasted first time I took it out after the tune up...

Comment

That's just cool all the way around. How expensive is it to get into a decent set up? Not top of the line but something you won't get bored with or be upset about accuracy with either

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              If you guys want to play with accuracy without "wasting a lot of powder", get you one of these high end PCP airguns... With the glass and software and technology they have now a days, it's like long range shooting but you can do it in your back yard and no one is even likely to hear you. I have a .22 cal. Kalibrgun Cricket that I bought after I had a .25 caliber for a while. After putting a Hawke scope on it and zeroing it in, I shot a white piece of paper at 30 yards with the .25 cal. then proceeded to shoot at that .25 cal. hole with the .22 cal. It was the 4th shot before the hole got any bigger. These things have amazing accuracy, and are the perfect tool to learn trigger control with. They have essentially no recoil so you can watch your shots. They are very accurate when tuned properly and it is about as much fun tuning and tweaking them as working up loads in a powder burner (used to do that too and still have all the stuff). I have doping software on my phone and laptop that is absolutely dead nutz that allows for unbelievable long range shots in the right conditions... They will teach you how to play the wind, mirage, parallax, everything long range shooters do and you can shoot all day for less than 20 bucks! 50 yard head shots on sparrows and turtles is a chip shot. My longest shot to date is 139 yards, a head shot on a turtle sitting on a log in the creek. Messin' round with one of these things will make you a better shot, and develop a confidence level that is hard to beat.

[ATTACH]860280[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]860281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]860282[/ATTACH]

Comment

Acceptable accuracy for a gun I'm shooting paper with is a 5 shot clover leaf at 100 (it's big and heavy don't want to hunt with it. Mine now is a half moa gun and better when I can shoot well out to 300. I can shoot moa at 600 with it a good shooter would prob be half moa still
                                If I buy a target gun that doesn't shoot as good as that I'd feel like j just wasted money

Deer hunting I want to be below moa or right at it out to 300, I don't shoot consistent enough to feel good shooting much past that without bags etc.

If I can't stack 5 shots in a 1 inch bullseye at 100 after trying multiple factory ammo I'm not happy with the gun, reloading will shrink it up even more after that.

My dad's happy with minute of deer. He doesn't worry about how tight a group is on paper I outshoot him regularly but fact is he kills deer every year just as dead as I do and is a great shot when a deer steps out. He says anyone can shoot paper and it doesn't impress him it's harder to stay calm and do it right on an animal...and hes right about that too

Comment

Working...
                                X