Kayak Fishing Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak Fishing Trip

So me and some buddies are trying to plan a kayak fishing trip. 3-4 days max around the middle of March. Lodging will either be a hotel/motel or in a tent. I was thinking Devil's River but that is a haul for my friends in Houston. I've seen several people do good in the West Bay of Galveston and also near Port O'conner. What say the Green Screen? Can anyone vouch for an awesome experience doing the same thing? Also any advice of places to stay away from would be great too.

Thanks

Me and some friends twice a year go to Matagorda. There is an LCRA park there you can camp at or primitive camp in an area known as 3 mile cut. There are several kayak launching spots and the fishing can be really good. When you want to take a break from the kayak the surf fishing can be fun. If you stay at the LCRA park they have water/electricity and I shower/bathrooms. There are also two lighted fishing docks.

Comment

Go to Port Aransas and hit the Lighthouse Lakes kayak trail! Easy to launch from, miles upon miles of protected - CLEAR - waters there. And you will catch fish!

Comment

Yes sir. and if you look on that map north on 2031 you see kind of a y looking water way that takes you into the bay. That is one of several launch spots. Rawlings Bait shop is near there. You can see the various channels that take you to the bay.

Comment

We kayaked the Sabine River. There are nice sandbars for camping. We did a 2 day trip north of Beaumont but you could start further north to make it a longer trip.

We tried to plan a kayak trip from Port O'Connor to Matagorda Island but the weather has gotten us both times. The weather in March is often windy so you could always plan a trip to Matagorda Island then do a river if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Comment

I like that Idea Ken. I'm intrigued by the Matagorda area. Been fishing the flats off Port O'conner on several occasions and had success. Just trying to find something different.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
              Go to Port Aransas and hit the Lighthouse Lakes kayak trail! Easy to launch from, miles upon miles of protected - CLEAR - waters there. And you will catch fish!
              Did you fish the lakes that were inland or the bays mainly? And what's your definition of 'protected?'

Comment

Mustang Island SP is nice and there is decent camping on the beach. Easy access for yak's on the bay side.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                  Yea, go to AP, you can fish a different type of place every day in a 30 minute drive. Shallows to reefs to deep sea,

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                    Yea, go to AP, you can fish a different type of place every day in a 30 minute drive. Shallows to reefs to deep sea,
                    Ok, I'm going to look more into this one. Thanks guys

Comment

If y'all don't mind tent like you said I'd just figure out salt or fresh then wouldn't pick a spot until week before (or atleast have a backup spot) of y'all chose one now. Fish where the weather's good Incase something blows through.. I'm a Matagorda fan as well. But devil's river is a bucket list trip. Not many places can compare to the views from pics I've seen. I've never done it but will for salt id hit pins.

Comment

Originally posted by DTH View Post
                        Ok, I'm going to look more into this one. Thanks guys
                        We've camped Shamrock cove and Bird Island Basin as well as Yarborough pass which is down PINS and on the Laguna side. The down side to tent camping is leaving your yaks and gear if you want to go out for a night on the town. Shamrock had been known to have some problems with auto break ins.

There has to be some kind of cabin rental down there somewhere. A hot shower and A/C are worth the extra money. And not having to break camp and getting your camping stuff all sandy is something to think about.

Yarborough was great because there was no one else there. We never even say another boat. Good times. Fish during the morning and nap at mid day, fish in the evening. Cook fish, build a fire, drink some crown, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                          If y'all don't mind tent like you said I'd just figure out salt or fresh then wouldn't pick a spot until week before (or atleast have a backup spot) of y'all chose one now. Fish where the weather's good Incase something blows through.. I'm a Matagorda fan as well. But devil's river is a bucket list trip. Not many places can compare to the views from pics I've seen. I've never done it but will for salt id hit pins.
                          One nice thing about a kayak trip. You generally don't have to make arrangements ahead of time and your packing list is almost the same no matter where you go. Allows you to make a last minute call based on weather.

Comment

Working...
                          X