Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys
Default seizure policy Texas

what are the rules if you have 2 seizures in about 6 months apart? one doctor at recovery told me I could not drive for 6 weeks. does a neurologist submit a form to the state that clears me? does a hospital call the state and inform them? all new to me. Thanks
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Bowtech38
Ten Point

I work with a guy that had that happen, took a doc to say he could drive again
Bowtech38 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

With the health care privacy acts how does the state even know?
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
Lostacresranch
Six Point

What caused the seizures, how severe were they, what meds are involved? Also, what dr? Did he report you for some reason? Did you give him permission to release your info? Is this workmans comp?
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

this will be my second one. first was feb. 6 meds are mild. I don't know if this was reported to the state.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan sandlin View Post
what are the rules if you have 2 seizures in about 6 months apart? one doctor at recovery told me I could not drive for 6 weeks. does a neurologist submit a form to the state that clears me? does a hospital call the state and inform them? all new to me. Thanks
Has DPS suspended or sought to suspend your driving privileges?

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #7
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Take this as opinion, but if you're having seizures, do you feel you should be driving? I know driving is almost a necessity to make a living- but is it worth your life or someone else's if it happens while driving?

Don't know all the regulations on it, but as LE we can submit a form to DPS for a medical advisory board to be convened. A hearing is held to determine if the license is suspended. Have done a few over the past 20+ years, and always feel a little guilt when I do knowing the impact it may have on this person's life- but also weigh it against the effect it could have on others lives.

Fortunately I've never experienced seizures, or had anyone close to me that did, but after seeing people who do have them in the middle of a seizure, and the total loss of control in some cases, I hope I would make the right decisions if I were in that position. Lots of options available- family, friends, uber, etc. Lives can be at stake, and that's a moral burden to bare if the worst happens.

Good luck, and prayers for your health.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

I have started anti-seizure med last week. and I don't want to hurt anyone if it takes place behind the wheel. but setting here is driving me crazy.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Take this as opinion, but if you're having seizures, do you feel you should be driving? I know driving is almost a necessity to make a living- but is it worth your life or someone else's if it happens while driving?

Don't know all the regulations on it, but as LE we can submit a form to DPS for a medical advisory board to be convened. A hearing is held to determine if the license is suspended. Have done a few over the past 20+ years, and always feel a little guilt when I do knowing the impact it may have on this person's life- but also weigh it against the effect it could have on others lives.

Fortunately I've never experienced seizures, or had anyone close to me that did, but after seeing people who do have them in the middle of a seizure, and the total loss of control in some cases, I hope I would make the right decisions if I were in that position. Lots of options available- family, friends, uber, etc. Lives can be at stake, and that's a moral burden to bare if the worst happens.

Good luck, and prayers for your health.

Yep as a retired Leo I submitted several people to the MAB for either diminished mental faculties or some type of medical issue it is hard to tell someone that but if they hit your family or run you over only other person loses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
big papa
Ten Point

There is no obligation in The State of Texas for a physician to notify DPS of your seizures but the can. Texas Law requires you to be seizure free for 3 months before driving. Most states require 6 months. So in Texas you get lucky in that aspect. If you need more information, just PM me.
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

I know that I will wait to drive until the meds are working. not going to steal from others. that will be the same if one takes place when behind the wheel.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
Rich...
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lamar Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
There is no obligation in The State of Texas for a physician to notify DPS of your seizures but the can. Texas Law requires you to be seizure free for 3 months before driving. Most states require 6 months. So in Texas you get lucky in that aspect. If you need more information, just PM me.
That's interesting. My neurologist told me texas required 6 months.
Rich... is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
WTucker
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin County

My wife's neurologist told her the law was 6 months without a seizure.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
That's interesting. My neurologist told me texas required 6 months.
My d-i-l has seizure disorder. some years ago it was a 1-yr grounding based on the doc's assessment of likelihood of recurrence. It is now 6 months.
dustoffer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
Hawgdog374
Four Point

Not everyone will report to DPS. But if you have a accident after the doctor tells you not to drive, the civil side will bankrupt you beyond belief. Not worth losing everything you have worked for all of your life. Besides that how would you feel by having a accident and killing someone and having to live with that.
Hawgdog374 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

the doctor told me 6 WEEKS!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #17
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgdog374 View Post
Not everyone will report to DPS. But if you have a accident after the doctor tells you not to drive, the civil side will bankrupt you beyond belief. Not worth losing everything you have worked for all of your life. Besides that how would you feel by having a accident and killing someone and having to live with that.
This is particularly true when you have posed the question in an open forum with your given name as your screen name. Best of luck/wishes with your health and be very careful for the sake of all--including yourself.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

I've got epilepsy. My dr has always told me the law required 6 months seizure free. Are you seeing a neurologist? Or just a GP? What medicine did they put you on? It should be in therapeutic levels pretty quickly.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

I can't say how the whole procedure works but did have two different friends that had unexplained seizures, doc told them no driving, about 2 weeks later they received a notice of suspension of do from dps, after 6 months or so their license was reinstated, second friend had 2 seizures after reinstatement, his license was suspended for 2 years after that but has had no further seizures and is now back to driving legally.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

This sounds like a great example of government over reach.
12RingKing is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
big papa
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
Yep as a retired Leo I submitted several people to the MAB for either diminished mental faculties or some type of medical issue it is hard to tell someone that but if they hit your family or run you over only other person loses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not retired but I have had to do the same as you several times. It always makes me feel crappy. You are right. It is certainly better to do that considering the possible other outcomes.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #22
big papa
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
I've got epilepsy. My dr has always told me the law required 6 months seizure free. Are you seeing a neurologist? Or just a GP? What medicine did they put you on? It should be in therapeutic levels pretty quickly.
Until a couple of years ago Texas was a 6 month statement. But a few years ago (no very many) it changed to a 3 month state.