Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can
Default Never killed a big deer

So with my last thread of not seeing big deer on cams. I guess my next question is this. Who here has never killed a big deer or a mature deer? I am the number on on the list here. I grew up hunting but i got my dad in to it and basically we've probably been doing something wrong as neither of us has ever killed anything big or mature in close to 20 years of hunting (-5 while in the Marine Corps). So 15 years or solid effort i believe
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige

What do you think is big? 130",150",300"? Everyone's opinion of big is different.

if you wanna kill a 150" deer you gotta hunt where there is 150" deer. All just depends on where your at
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
11B
Spike

Hunt In: Lamar County and anywhere else I can

Hell I've never even killed one. This will be my third season hunting. Good luck this year! And by never killed one I mean I have ZERO kills. Deer are definitely outsmarting me haha
11B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
tward1604
Four Point

I'd be happy with any solid mature deer. Having probably never killed a deer that came near 100" id be thrilled with a 130" deer
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cayuga, Childress, the Mountains

as was mentioned above, you have to hunt in a place big deer live and are managed. a lot of small tracts with heavy hunting pressure is not a recipe to grow big deer either.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

To kill big deer you got to hunt where they live, and then sit on your hands and watch them get big
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Forget about killing big deer and focus on hunting smart, in good areas and taking care of details and the big deer will follow.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
PublicLandFreaks
Four Point

Hunt In: Cuero,Public land

Quote:
Forget about killing big deer and focus on hunting smart, in good areas and taking care of details and the big deer will follow.
This
PublicLandFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
sharpshooter1
Six Point

Hunt In: The South Texas brush

Depends on what your definition of big is. I've never killed a buck scoring over 140. I've also never actually scored any of the bucks that I've killed. Scored em for family and friends but never one of mine. I just don't care what it scores to tell ya the truth. Been hunting since I was 8 yrs old and I'm 32 now. For the first 3/4 of my hunting career I hunted horns. Bigger young bucks never stood a chance. But now I only try and shoot mature bucks. No matter how big. And the places I hunt definitely aren't known for having "big" mature bucks.
sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
jheflinland
Nubbin' Buck

If you are not somewhere that has a pretty good management program and the acreage to support it, your chances of killing a 130 are pretty slim. Like once in a lifetime type of deal. Someone already mentioned.. you have to be where the big deer are. I've been hunting for 20 years and have seen less than 10 deer in all that time in the wild that would score over 130, and I've hunted plenty of properties that held those type of deer.

It is tough. You can dang sure find them a little easier if you can put in a lot of time and hunt the weather though.

And for the record, I've only killed 2 over 130.
jheflinland is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I've only killed one that barely missed 130" and I've killed bunches around 120". Only hunting East Tx, monsters are hard to come by.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Deafishunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Abbott

I have hunted for 16 years. And only killed 4 bucks, Not one was over 130.

But I have seen plenty of mature and big bucks. Just always see them during bad weather like high winds causing the tower blind to move a lot, or they never gave me a shot opportunity.
Deafishunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

111 6 point. I kill only does now hunted for over 50 years. haint found a way yet to cook horns.
wow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
To kill big deer you got to hunt where they live, and then sit on your hands and watch them get big
Shoot the first buck that walks out and then when you are field-dressing it and the bigger one walks out----let the small bucks walk.
dustoffer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I agree with this, but would also add that "big" is relative and may not ever happen where you are, but mature definitely can, and that's where its at for me.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I agree with this, but would also add that "big" is relative and may not ever happen where you are, but mature definitely can, and that's where its at for me.
Yes big is relative to location but mature is mature.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Never killed a buck, last year the only ones I had come in were young. I would have been happy with them but knew that it was best to let them go another year
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #18
DoubleGG
Spike

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. & Leon Co.

East Texas hunting for 20+also and never anything big. But love every minute of it. One day I'll be in the right spot at the right time
DoubleGG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #19
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I've bow hunted the last 15 years and have never killed what I would call a true mature trophy buck. Ive only killed 5 deer and the best one I've shot is the one in my avatar(was a decent 10 point before breaking a beam off).
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I've deer hunted for a long time (25+years) and have not shot many bucks. I don't hunt where big bucks are common and I'm not going to shoot a buck unless it is old. I'm fine filling my doe tags - if I stay after it long enough maybe a random trophy will come strolling by.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

First deer I killed was high 130's. Haven't killed one that big since. But now, I hunt for the meat.

I like Mr. Jerp above am perfectly happy killing does if that is what presents the opportunity.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

You will get a ton of answers like, big deer bont just happen. It takes years of strict management practice which I completely agree with. But if you enjoy hunting I wouldn't worry about big deer. Just keep on keeping on, and eventually a mature deer will work it's way to you. What's important is that you and your dad have something you still can do together. Your days coming, who knows might be this year. Good luck.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #23
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Killing a big buck is no different than killing a old mature doe. Getting the deer killed isn't the hard part.

The hard part is finding and getting on a place that has the potential to have big deer, and passing young deer to allow the deer to get old enough to become mature.

Most guys don't want to hear it but killing big deer is a money game. If you don't have the money you won't do it consistently.

That said big is relative to your location. If you get a deer that gets you excited and get him killed that's a big deer to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #24
JayKen86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county, Washington county

My biggest buck to date is a 110" 8 point I killed with my bow last year. I'm also not in an area known for just a lot of big bucks. We have seen quite an improvement on our lease in the number of bucks since we got on 3 years ago, out of 5 members on 600 acres we've killed 4 bucks total in the three years we've been on the place. Take off 10 does a year. We're trying to get all members to agree to not shooting any bucks for the next two years to add another years "age class" to our buck herd. As of now the oldest deer we are seeing on camera are 4 year olds. It sucks going into the season knowing you will not be killing a buck this year but will do nothing but help in the long run. I guess I can still hope for a draw hunt....
JayKen86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #25
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I had been hunting for about 30 years before I killed my first mature buck. He had a nice rack and 11 points but no where near 100
txtradesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #26
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
You will get a ton of answers like, big deer bont just happen. It takes years of strict management practice which I completely agree with. But if you enjoy hunting I wouldn't worry about big deer. Just keep on keeping on, and eventually a mature deer will work it's way to you. What's important is that you and your dad have something you still can do together. Your days coming, who knows might be this year. Good luck.

Or, depending on location, it requires years of essentially doing absolutely nothing and giving deer a refuge until one piques your interest.
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
Hoss163
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

You have to hunt where big deer live to shoot big deer that's the bottom line .. Sure you might get lucky and kill one on a place that has never produced a big deer but your playing the odds and the odds are usually always against the hunters.. I hunted on a high fence ranch for a couple of seasons the place had been high fenced for like 10 years he left all the deer on this place and he thought he was going to grow some native giants guess what I never saw a buck on that place in 3 years on camera are anything that scored over 130" and we are talking about 6 and 7 year old bucks you saw a lot of 115 to 125 that where mature deer that's just as big as they could get it's no different then a human your body gets maxed out on size naturally some people are just bigger then others it's in the genes!! Why you think Midwest bucks are always bigger then native Texas deer it's genetics and what is in the soils up there and what they have to eat naturally!! But the number one key is age of the deer you can't expect every 3 year old to score 150 in a natural environment even with supplemental feeding heck most 6 year olds don't get 150 in a lot of places!!
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Can't kill 150 if you kill him at 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
forced-2-work
Four Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

Everywhere in the state will have different quality deer. It all depends on where you hunt. My thoughts are if you know the quality of the deer in your area and you see one that is "good/big" for that area and it gets you excited then it's a shooter. Remember hunting is about a lot more than shooting big deer! The biggest i have ever shoot was maybe a 130, but i just enjoy being the woods!
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #30
1RutNBuc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Franklin

I hunt Grayson County. Rumor has it that big deer live here. Hunted here for the last 16 years with a grand total of 21 years with a bow! Killed my first deer this past fall at the H......he's on my wall and I smile everyday when thinking it took the "H" to get me a deer! Point is, like stated above, you have to hunt where big deer are.....and be lucky at the right time!
1RutNBuc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #31
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Ive never killed a buck.. i hunt way back in the public land. If im going to drag it out, its got to be the biggest buck ive seen in my life. If the freezers empty ill drag a doe out, but not a immature buck.
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #32
justin81
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Valle TX

I've never bagged a big impressive buck. In fact I usually end up with only doe, but I want the meat so im not picky.

I did catch this guy on my cam last week though. "biggest" one i've ever caught on cam, hoping he walks by this year. That would make my day for sure.

justin81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #33
SanSaba007
Four Point

143 is my biggest to date.
SanSaba007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #34
Kmiles84
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Finding big deer means a lot of scouting and preparing ahead of time. You need to understand where the deer feed, bed, and travel. Smart to have multiple setups in same area and hunting each with the right wind. Knowing when the rut starts and being out there as much as possible as that might be your best window of opportunity. I haven't killed monsters by any means (144 is my best), it have several in the 130's. All of my bigger bucks have been taken during the rut and by rattling them in.
Kmiles84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
BrandonA
Pope & Young

My ex's great uncle once told me that if you never killed a big deer then change what you're doing. This old ******* killed many south Texas monsters. He said if you you keep hunting the way your hunting then you will keep killing what your killing. Didn't like the old man but he was right.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #36
GarGuy
Pope & Young

In my opinion, its all about age. Hunting mature bucks is nothing like hunting young bucks. At least thats the way it is in east tx. Read this thread when you are really bored. Some good info in it.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...pressured+deer
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #37
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

Never killed a 120's but I killed a real old guy who was in decline. Rifle. This year I can feel it. Going to get my first Bow Buck.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #38
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

What county do you hunt in? I thought here in Wharton county, was where the smallest bucks take up residence. Killing deer over 100 inches here is very doable every year, but you would be hard pressed to find one over 120.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #39
lakefork
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS, AR

I'm glad to be able to say that I am not qualified to answer your question. lol. I've been fortunate to be able to hunt in areas where big deer reside.
lakefork is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #40
tward1604
Four Point

Well my primary place is in Stonewall county Just outside of Aspermont. There's big deer. There was another guy hunting the property that might have been a major factor bringing everyone he knew out to hunt. But he killed big deer every year. The biggest i saw him kill was 156" I've seen a giant non typical chasing a yearling buck outta the pasture and justr never got a shot. I think the advise about changing what i'm doing is a good place to start. But there lies the problem, WHERE to start. I've hunted the feeders I've hunted the field. tried grunts bleats rattlin deer pee his and hers. Hell I've even done all the above when folks say its peak runt. Still no deer. ALSO I will say that a mature deer means more to me than a young deer with alot of bone. And i darn sure don't have the money to pay for big deer.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #41
Jscott1112
Nubbin' Buck

Largest ever shot was just under 130. It's family land and they just aren't going to be bigger than that. I focus on keeping the Doe around and seeing what the rut brings in.
Jscott1112 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #42
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

My biggest is about 112" but that's ok he's big to me.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #43
Dandy123
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

I guess I'm spoiled hunting here in northern Missouri my whole life. Around my area if a deer makes it to three years old he's usually at 130 or more. But I've hunted in the Hill country around lampassas several times and I have seen maybe one buck that was close to 130. It doesn't make it any less fun to me though I just like deer hunting.
Dandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #44
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiles84 View Post
Finding big deer means a lot of scouting and preparing ahead of time. You need to understand where the deer feed, bed, and travel. Smart to have multiple setups in same area and hunting each with the right wind. Knowing when the rut starts and being out there as much as possible as that might be your best window of opportunity. I haven't killed monsters by any means (144 is my best), it have several in the 130's. All of my bigger bucks have been taken during the rut and by rattling them in.
Yes all that helps but I don't care what you do, if there are no big bucks in your area, you will never find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
Well my primary place is in Stonewall county Just outside of Aspermont. There's big deer. There was another guy hunting the property that might have been a major factor bringing everyone he knew out to hunt. But he killed big deer every year. The biggest i saw him kill was 156" I've seen a giant non typical chasing a yearling buck outta the pasture and justr never got a shot. I think the advise about changing what i'm doing is a good place to start. But there lies the problem, WHERE to start. I've hunted the feeders I've hunted the field. tried grunts bleats rattlin deer pee his and hers. Hell I've even done all the above when folks say its peak runt. Still no deer. ALSO I will say that a mature deer means more to me than a young deer with alot of bone. And i darn sure don't have the money to pay for big deer.
At first I was just thinking you were hunting a area that had no big deer but after reading the above that obviously isn't the case.

First thing I would do is get 4-5 game camera's and put them out on trails, if you have more trail cams that is great, use them also. Let them run for about 3 weeks and check them, if you don't get any good deer pics, move them and wait 3 weeks and check them again. Continue to do this until you find a good deer. Try to get into these area's with as little impact on the area as possible. Walk your fence lines and look for spots the deer are crossing, look for spots that the fence is lower and can easily be jumped or a spot they can easily go under. Deer will generally pic the easiest spot to cross. One of the best spots I found on my place for a camera was on fence crossing that a tree broke the top strand. The deer loved crossing in that spot. If you have any interior fencing that has a open gate or open section on it, that is another great spot because it's a pinch point for the animals. Yes a deer can jump a low fence with no problem but when they are in their normal travels, they prefer not to if they have a choice.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #45
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Like they said you have to hunt where they roam, and I don't lol.

I've killed 5 mature bucks, ranging from 107" - 121"
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #46
tward1604
Four Point

I'll have to get the cams back out there. Seems like all the information online (other than here) and in magazines is for midwest deer with tall trees and green all the time doesn't apply here...unless i am missing something
Old 08-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #47
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County and Denton County

Quote:
I'll have to get the cams back out there. Seems like all the information online (other than here) and in magazines is for midwest deer with tall trees and green all the time doesn't apply here...unless i am missing something
I will give you every bit of knowledge I have about hunting that area. I was on a lease for two years just North of Rule that bordered the Brazos. How many acres are you on with how many people and also how much wheat do you have available to hunt?
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #48
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Quote:

First, Use hand corn and a bunch of cameras. This will help you locate where the deer are normally traveling.

I'm not sure about your area, but where I hunt in east texas you need to locate the deer first and hunt that area rather than throw up a feeder and try to attract them to you.

My best spot right now actually has a feeder hanging from a limb, but other feeders 500 yards away will have no deer activity. It's because that spot I'm hunting I hunt it because it's a heavily used traffic area and I just put a feeder up off to the side of it. So the deer are already coming through now they just stop and come through more often.

Try to get away from the feeder hunting and get more on their trails coming and going to the feeder and you'll catch him slip up once coming by. Hand corn and trails work best.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

I have killed mature deer, big deer and big mature deer...just their head gear is lacking, so to speak.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #50
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
No you are right. Midwest and STx boys have a gross amount of trophy/big deer therefore their info prevails.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top