Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #51
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
Yep, you can put in for every hunt they offer if you like And so can anyone from any state for the exact same price

Pretty much just a raffle at this point.. Very similar to the Maine Moose Lottery
I do think it should cost out of state hunters more money to put in for the draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
You used to be only able to apply for one hunt in each category. They changed the rules a couple of years back. So you haven't been missing out for too long.
Looks like I need to put in for a few more draw hunts then. I mainly want to chase exotics.
bowhuntertex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #52
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Williamson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
Yup...it's a tuff draw. Reading from the senior guys that have been applying since it started my 6 points is nothing.
6 points is nothing, I've got double digit points in 4 categories and still haven't drawn a thing since the system went online 3 years ago.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #53
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
6 points is nothing, I've got double digit points in 4 categories and still haven't drawn a thing since the system went online 3 years ago.

That really sucks! So what is the meaning of having double digit points if you cannot even get drawn????? Somebody needs to re-write the draw program.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #54
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

It's easier to draw a good out of state tag then a average in state draw hunt. It's crazy, fewer permits and areas to hunt every year and fewer bow hunts especially. Longer drawing odds every year.
SolocamShooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #55
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
Awesome!! Game on!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2050z View Post
That really sucks! So what is the meaning of having double digit points if you cannot even get drawn????? Somebody needs to re-write the draw program.
I have double digit points in several categories but when there are 6-10 permits on a hunt and a couple of thousand (or more) people trying to draw, it doesn't mean much.
grizzman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #56
bossbowman
Ten Point

What also really hurts is they continue to reduce the # of hunts/permits/locations, looks like archery hunts went down to 4 days from 5 across the board, youth hunts went up from what it used to be but has just held steady the last few years. I don't buy tpwd not wanting to pay overtime for these hunts theory, just about all of them are during the week. If I didn't know any better I would think they are slowly trying to phase out the draw hunts completely.

WAY fewer permits offered now vs. 10 yrs ago. Archery permit #'s have gone up a few dozern the last couple years but nothing compared to what it used to be (mind you 100 of these permits are for Chaparral WMA this year), areas allowing for archery draw permits continues to get reduced every year.

TPWD Archery Deer
2005-979 permits, 21 areas
2007-666 permits, 18 areas
2008-641 permits, 20 areas
2009-667 permits, 21 areas
2010-805 permits, 21 areas
2011-712 permits, 20 areas
2012-559 permits, 15 areas
2013-476 permits, 16 areas
2014-363 permits, 16 areas
2015-275 permits, 16 areas
2016-304 permits, 17 areas
2017-338 permits, 15 areas
almost 70% decline in draw permits since 2005...

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-06-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #57
SCREAMINREELS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
What also really hurts is they continue to reduce the # of hunts/permits/locations, looks like archery hunts went down to 4 days from 5 across the board, youth hunts went up from what it used to be but has just held steady the last few years. I don't buy the not tpwd not wanting to pay overtime for these hunts theory, just about all of them are during the week. If I didn't know any better I would think they are slowly trying to phase out the draw hunts completely.

WAY fewer permits offered now vs. 10 yrs ago. Archery permit #'s have gone up a few dozern the last couple years but nothing compared to what it used to be (mind you 100 of these permits are for Chaparral WMA), areas allowing for archery draw permits continues to get reduced every year.

TPWD Archery Deer
2005-979 permits, 21 areas
2007-666 permits, 18 areas
2008-641 permits, 20 areas
2009-667 permits, 21 areas
2010-805 permits, 21 areas
2011-712 permits, 20 areas
2012-559 permits, 15 areas
2013-476 permits, 16 areas
2014-363 permits, 16 areas
2015-275 permits, 16 areas
2016-304 permits, 17 areas
2017-338 permits, 15 areas
almost 70% decline in draw permits since 2005...
That's sickening. How good are you at looking /posting number of applicants a year. I know it's going up as the number of permits goes down.

I'm still applying every year either way. In my early 30s. I'll get an exotic or mule deer draw before I'm on a walker...I hope.

I said I was drawn once in previous post. Was actually drawn twicd once private land doe permits and one public archery. I'm thrilled to get whitetail but crossing fingers for mule or exotic before I get too old. If I get to 40 points without a draw that would just stink
SCREAMINREELS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #58
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
That's sickening. How good are you at looking /posting number of applicants a year. I know it's going up as the number of permits goes down.
I have all the old draw hunt books, its 10 fold... in some case worse since they went online.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #59
cphillips
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas - Smith & Marion County

I drew lake Brownwood archery about 3 years ago I believe with 0 points and some of the guys that where there had been trying for years, so I'm with the rest of yall I don't think the system is very good, but either way I will continue to put in and hope for the best again.
cphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #60
Johnny44
Four Point

Its a money maker now for sure. Its really pitiful the small number of people that get a chance.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #61
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

My wife and I have been drawn before with 0 pref points, for chap javi hunt and at JD for a gator hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #62
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

I just put in for 28 hunts with my dad, 1st year doing it.
TXhoghunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #63
rcm719
Ten Point

Hunt In: outa random trees

Put in 10, anyone done the alligator management before?
rcm719 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #64
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm719 View Post

Never done the management hunt but have drawn gator tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #65
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Is there any strategy in applying for more or less hunts to increase your odds of getting picked? Last year was my first year to ever use the system so I had zero points. I applied for 9 hunts and got selected for 3 - beginner's luck??
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #66
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm719 View Post
I did it 2 years ago. It's a fun hunt, but very difficult due to the floating vegetation and the restriction to alligators 5 feet or less in length. This makes access to most of the lake impossible, and puts everybody in pretty much the same area. We got two gators out of a possible 9. Get your rest beforehand.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #67
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Is there any strategy in applying for more or less hunts to increase your odds of getting picked? Last year was my first year to ever use the system so I had zero points. I applied for 9 hunts and got selected for 3 - beginner's luck??
I see that as like winning the PowerBall...lol.

Been drawn for only one hunt in 8 years, but it was a good one to draw. Arch deer at the Chap, with only 2 points. Burnt all my good luck on one draw haha.
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #68
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
I just put in for 28 hunts with my dad, 1st year doing it.
That's a big part of why the new system is screwed. They need to go back to either 1 per category or 3 per category and put everyone on a level playing field. Of course it's all a money grab for the state so it's not likely.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #69
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
You got **** lucky and might not repeat that ever again.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #70
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
You got **** lucky and might not repeat that ever again.
Well that's disappointing, was hoping for a repeat this year! LOL!
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #71
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:

They're just baiting you in!
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #72
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

it is defintely a money grab now. we will never see it go back to the old system. i hunt out of state and no state that ive ever applied, except the new texas system, can you literally apply for every hunt in every category! i have been fortunate to draw a hand full of texas hunts over the years, some pretty good, but i think not limiting the number of hunts in a category a hunter can put in for, combined with the overall reduction in number of hunts available, will make my families trips to texas public hunts fewer and much less often. but i'll keep applying because there is always a chance.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #73
Felix40
Ten Point

I agree with everyone here that the system is garbage. I haven't applied for much since they started the new system. Anything that is decent is less than 2% chance of drawing and the stuff that has the best odds of drawing (10% is good now) isn't even worth showing up for.

Some changes I would like to see:
1. Make nonresidents pay more for each application like every other state. I'm talking 5-10 times as much which would be on par with other states.
2. Raise the cost to apply for residents to $10-$15 to make people think about what they are applying for instead of just randomly picking 25-30 hunts that look a little interesting to them.
3. Only let people apply for one hunt per category the way it used to be. This will obviously decrease the amount of money spent on applications but that could be offset by doing #1 and #2.
4. Require a credit card number to apply so that as soon as you are drawn your card is charged. This is how most other states do it and it would get rid of all the 2nd drawing garbage so the process would be streamlined.
5. Make the hunts longer! One week should be the bare minimum for everything. Some of these hunts are two days with one day being taken up mostly by orientation. Its not worth is to me to drive 8-10 hours then pay $80-$160 for basically an afternoon and a morning of hunting. I realize that these hunts give staff extra work. There is very little need to have staff on site for the entire hunt other than to check animals, which I feel should be the responsibility of the hunter to take their animals to the office to be checked. People hunt WMAs every day across the state without direct supervision.

Last edited by Felix40; 07-07-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #74
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post
I agree with everyone here that the system is garbage. I haven't applied for much since they started the new system. Anything that is decent is less than 2% chance of drawing and the stuff that has the best odds of drawing (10% is good now) isn't even worth showing up for.

1. Make nonresidents pay more for each application like every other state. I'm talking 5-10 times as much which would be on par with other states.
2. Raise the cost to apply for residents to $10-$15 to make people think about what they are applying for instead of just randomly picking 25-30 hunts that look a little interesting to them.
3. Only let people apply for one hunt per category the way it used to be. This will obviously decrease the amount of money spent on applications but that could be offset by doing #1 and #2.
4. Require a credit card number to apply so that as soon as you are drawn your card is charged. This is how most other states do it and it would get rid of all the 2nd drawing garbage so the process would be streamlined.
5. Make the hunts longer! One week should be the bare minimum for everything. Some of these hunts are two days with one day being taken up mostly by orientation. Its not worth is to me to drive 8-10 hours then pay $80-$160 for basically an afternoon and a morning of hunting. I realize that these hunts give staff extra work. There is very little need to have staff on site for the entire hunt other than to check animals, which I feel should be the responsibility of the hunter to take their animals to the office to be checked. People hunt WMAs every day across the state without direct supervision.
I agree 100% with this.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #75
Felix40
Ten Point

I went ahead and sent an email to the director of public hunting. I don't know that it will do any good but they need to hear how dissatisfied we are about the way they are managing hunts on OUR land. I had been pretty much silent up until now because I assumed they would be working on fixing problems for the first few years. Im pretty patient but its been several years and it seems like it gets worse every year. By now I had hoped they would have some kind of decent system in place.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #76
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:

That is about the best compromise I've seen, if more people would call and email tpwd and complain about the new system, maybe the ball could get rolling on some changes, there is a better way. I voiced my disgust of the unlimited applications per category to tpwd but I'm afraid it fell on deaf ears, they are blinded by all the more $$$ they're making.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-07-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #77
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

I blasted the new system in the feedback survey they sent out and I'm going to let them know again.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #78
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
I went ahead and sent an email to the director of public hunting. I don't know that it will do any good but they need to hear how dissatisfied we are about the way they are managing hunts on OUR land. I had been pretty much silent up until now because I assumed they would be working on fixing problems for the first few years. Im pretty patient but its been several years and it seems like it gets worse every year. By now I had hoped they would have some kind of decent system in place.
Will you please post up his contact info?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #79
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Here's the deal: It's a drawing, and the vast majority of the applicants aren't gonna get drawn. If folks complain about not being drawn for one reason or another, but they continue to send in their applications and money each year then there is no reason for TPWD to change much. The purpose of the system is not to provide hunting opportunities for everyone that would like to hunt. The purpose is to provide a means of killing enough animals off the state-owned lands to keep the game populations in balance while also providing some much-needed revenue for TPWD to continue to be able to manage all the wildlife resources for the state.

Rather than having a draw system to allow a few lucky folks the opportunity to hunt, they could choose to let TPWD employees go out and shoot all the deer that need to be taken off of every place each year and donate the meat to the needy. That would solve the game management issue, but it wouldn't provide any funding for TPWD. They'd have to go up on hunting license fees or something to make up for that.

There are valid criticisms of the current system, of course. Felix40's ideas are good, in my opinion. But, no matter how they set it up, the vast majority of the people who apply for hunts are not gonna get drawn. There are more people now than there used to be, but there is not more land to hunt on. There's nothing TPWD or anybody else can do about that. A few years ago, there were no private land drawings in the TPWD system. Now there are. Not many, but there are a few. Hopefully they'll be able to add more here and there. But it's hard to compete for private land hunting rights and keep it cost effective when landowners can get a lot of money in lease fees from individual and corporate hunters.

Texas is never going to be the best state for public land hunting, because there isn't a lot of public land to begin with here. But we have a ton of private land available to lease. I prefer that to public land hunting personally. Yes, it costs money. But having exclusive access is very nice. To me, it's a good trade off.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #80
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Quote:
I blasted the new system in the feedback survey they sent out and I'm going to let them know again.
So did I and everyone I know
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #81
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Here's the deal: It's a drawing, and the vast majority of the applicants aren't gonna get drawn. If folks complain about not being drawn for one reason or another, but they continue to send in their applications and money each year then there is no reason for TPWD to change much. The purpose of the system is not to provide hunting opportunities for everyone that would like to hunt. The purpose is to provide a means of killing enough animals off the state-owned lands to keep the game populations in balance while also providing some much-needed revenue for TPWD to continue to be able to manage all the wildlife resources for the state.

Rather than having a draw system to allow a few lucky folks the opportunity to hunt, they could choose to let TPWD employees go out and shoot all the deer that need to be taken off of every place each year and donate the meat to the needy. That would solve the game management issue, but it wouldn't provide any funding for TPWD. They'd have to go up on hunting license fees or something to make up for that.

There are valid criticisms of the current system, of course. Felix40's ideas are good, in my opinion. But, no matter how they set it up, the vast majority of the people who apply for hunts are not gonna get drawn. There are more people now than there used to be, but there is not more land to hunt on. There's nothing TPWD or anybody else can do about that. A few years ago, there were no private land drawings in the TPWD system. Now there are. Not many, but there are a few. Hopefully they'll be able to add more here and there. But it's hard to compete for private land hunting rights and keep it cost effective when landowners can get a lot of money in lease fees from individual and corporate hunters.

Texas is never going to be the best state for public land hunting, because there isn't a lot of public land to begin with here. But we have a ton of private land available to lease. I prefer that to public land hunting personally. Yes, it costs money. But having exclusive access is very nice. To me, it's a good trade off.
It's true that most hunting for some species in Texas takes place on private land, but there are exceptions like alligator, where the only way most people will ever get a chance to hunt them is through a public drawing. I think they should implement all of the above suggestions. I have hunted in several western states and Alaska, and I can tell you that they suck out of state hunters dry. Texas should reciprocate.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #82
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
It's true that most hunting for some species in Texas takes place on private land, but there are exceptions like alligator, where the only way most people will ever get a chance to hunt them is through a public drawing. I think they should implement all of the above suggestions. I have hunted in several western states and Alaska, and I can tell you that they suck out of state hunters dry. Texas should reciprocate.
I absolutely agree with that. We roll out the red carpet for out of state hunters here, and we get treated like crap when we want to go to other states, especially western states.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #83
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:

I don't think anybody expects to get drawn every year but the new system is rediculous. I wish I had saved the books over the years to post up the numbers. I know you've gotten lucky and had success through the system, other people are tired of it. The entire playing field needs to be leveled the way Felix posted. When you have one guy entering 28 times and another 3 or even 1 for whatever reason it screws over everybody once you multiply it by the number of all the people that do it. The drawing odds are through the roof in the wrong direction. It seems like everyone would be on board with being proactive and trying to get the system changed so they have a more reasonable chance at being drawn in the future. And they have the land and means to add a lot more hunts they just don't. There was a article in the paper here last season about how the USFS and TPWD were spot lighting and killing 100+ doe a year off the DCNF for research purposes. That's fine but why can't they incorporate that into a permit based deal where the hunter kills and donates the deer, gets the meat, and they get what they need for research. They don't because they don't want to manage it.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #84
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Non residents are always brought up in these discussions. How many NRs actually apply and/or draw these hunts. Are they really taking up that many permits it has to be a talking point or is it just something to complain about? Where are the numbers to see what resident/NR draw rates are?

Just curious...

If you guys really want to go there, the state should also designate a certain percentage of permits as NR only, just like other states. Can't draw those now....think about it. Odds are now even lower with fewer tags. Careful what you with for.

Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 07-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Bowhuntamistad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #85
Felix40
Ten Point

Quote:
Will you please post up his contact info?
I don't know if this is the guy who would care or be able to change anything but his title suggests that he might.

Justin Dreibelbis
Private Lands and Public Hunting Program Director
(512) 389-4395
justin.dreibelbis@tpwd.texas.gov

For those of you saying the system can't be made better, you are incorrect. We had a system before that limited the number of entries substantially. The odds then were around 10-30% for all of the hunts I used to apply for. Now those odds are around 1-6%. So its not just some theory that we have about making draw odds better. IT USED TO BE THAT WAY. I don't know about you but I prefer to apply for 4-5 hunts that I REALLY want and have a decent chance of drawing one every other year. Currently people are applying for anything and everything even if they don't really want it just because they want to increase their odds.

Anyway, I will leave it alone because its a sore subject for me. I am VERY happy that we have the small amount of public land we do in this state that doesn't require a draw or any kind of permit to hunt. Those places are worth more than almost any of these WMAs so I hope we can hold onto them.

Last edited by Felix40; 07-07-2017 at 12:34 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #86
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
I don't know if this is the guy who would care or be able to change anything but his title suggests that he might.

Justin Dreibelbis
Private Lands and Public Hunting Program Director
(512) 389-4395
justin.dreibelbis@tpwd.texas.gov

For those of you saying the system can't be made better, you are incorrect. We had a system before that limited the number of entries substantially. The odds then were around 10-30% for all of the hunts I used to apply for. Now those odds are around 1-6%. So its not just some theory that we have about making draw odds better. IT USED TO BE THAT WAY. I don't know about you but I prefer to apply for 4-5 hunts that I REALLY want and have a decent chance of drawing one every other year. Currently people are applying for anything and everything even if they don't really want it just because they want to increase their odds.

Anyway, I will leave it alone because its a sore subject for me. I am VERY happy that we have the small amount of public land we do in this state that doesn't require a draw or any kind of permit to hunt. Those places are worth more than almost any of these WMAs so I hope we can hold onto them.
The problem is people used to complain about paper applications because they were lazy. They were also complaining about only being able to apply for one area because they can't do math and figure it out. So easier to apply + unlimited apps= very very low chances of drawing. Paper applications will never happen again but we might be able to get one app per category back. Also consider that some of these areas are opportunity hunts. They don't necisarilly NEED animals to be killed. They are to increase public opportunity.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #87
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't think anybody expects to get drawn every year but the new system is rediculous. I wish I had saved the books over the years to post up the numbers. I know you've gotten lucky and had success through the system, other people are tired of it. The entire playing field needs to be leveled the way Felix posted. When you have one guy entering 28 times and another 3 or even 1 for whatever reason it screws over everybody once you multiply it by the number of all the people that do it. The drawing odds are through the roof in the wrong direction. It seems like everyone would be on board with being proactive and trying to get the system changed so they have a more reasonable chance at being drawn in the future. And they have the land and means to add a lot more hunts they just don't. There was a article in the paper here last season about how the USFS and TPWD were spot lighting and killing 100+ doe a year off the DCNF for research purposes. That's fine but why can't they incorporate that into a permit based deal where the hunter kills and donates the deer, gets the meat, and they get what they need for research. They don't because they don't want to manage it.
I've been entering the drawings since 1989, so I've drawn several hunts in almost 30 years of applying for everything in the book each year. But I've had several years along the way where I didn't draw anything at all. Some years it was only a doe/spike hunt or a turkey hunt or whatever. I got super lucky in drawing the bighorn.

Regardless of the details, it's luck of the draw. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. The more hunters there are applying, the more difficult it will be to get drawn. If one guy is entering 28 times and I'm only entering 3, that's not unfair. I could enter 28 times just like him if I wanted to. And if I did, some guy that just entered 1 might get drawn while I didn't. That's just the way it goes. If they returned to being able to just enter 1 drawing per category, the odds would still be lower now than they were years ago, because there are more people entering the drawings now than there used to be. There are more categories and more hunts than there were 10-20 years ago, but the number of applicants has increased a lot more. Population growth....
Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #88
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
I've been entering the drawings since 1989, so I've drawn several hunts in almost 30 years of applying for everything in the book each year. But I've had several years along the way where I didn't draw anything at all. Some years it was only a doe/spike hunt or a turkey hunt or whatever. I got super lucky in drawing the bighorn.

Regardless of the details, it's luck of the draw. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. The more hunters there are applying, the more difficult it will be to get drawn. If one guy is entering 28 times and I'm only entering 3, that's not unfair. I could enter 28 times just like him if I wanted to. And if I did, some guy that just entered 1 might get drawn while I didn't. That's just the way it goes. If they returned to being able to just enter 1 drawing per category, the odds would still be lower now than they were years ago, because there are more people entering the drawings now than there used to be. There are more categories and more hunts than there were 10-20 years ago, but the number of applicants has increased a lot more. Population growth....
It's not population growth. It's ease of application..
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #89
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
It's not population growth. It's ease of application..
Probably both, along with more awareness of the whole draw hunt system too. Even now, every year there are people who are just learning about the draw opportunities.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #90
grizzman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I absolutely agree with that. We roll out the red carpet for out of state hunters here, and we get treated like crap when we want to go to other states, especially western states.
That's my main rub. NR pay the same as Residents except for the actual license. Still cheap IMO compared to other states.

I agree with most of what Felix is saying. I can't complain much because I have drawn at least one hunt every year for the last six or seven years. Hope I can continue the streak.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #91
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
That's my main rub. NR pay the same as Residents except for the actual license. Still cheap IMO compared to other states.

I agree with most of what Felix is saying. I can't complain much because I have drawn at least one hunt every year for the last six or seven years. Hope I can continue the streak.
Texas could easily double the cost of non-resident licenses and still be comparable to what other western states charge.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #92
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzman View Post

I got skunked last year. This year I have a great lease with axis, and I'm going to Utah on an elk hunt. I really don't want to draw anything, other than the Grand Slam of course. I wish they'd give us the ability to buy points. I'll probably put in for the Chap and other hard-to-draw hunts in hopes of getting points rather than drawing. Usually I put in for hunts with good draw odds rather than the dream places. That's how I've been drawn so many times. It didn't work last year, but sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes we'll draw 2 or 3 in a year.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #93
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

I'm one that just learned of the draw hunts. This thread is discouraging to say the least. I will still try and apply. You can't get drawn if you don't try
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #94
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
I'm one that just learned of the draw hunts. This thread is discouraging to say the least. I will still try and apply. You can't get drawn if you don't try
These threads are the same every year, and people have been griping about the system way before the new computer system came around. There's always something to complain about. Buy your entries and hope for the best. Good luck to you!

Or, better yet.....

Stick it to the man by NOT sending in your $3/$10 entries. That's the only way you can really have any impact with your protest. Don't give them your money until they fix everything to your liking. They don't pay any attention to hate mail, but they'll notice when people quit sending in their application money.

I'll go ahead and send mine in though. Maybe my odds will be better if a bunch of folks boycott the drawings in protest.

Last edited by Shane; 07-07-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #95
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
There are more categories and more hunts than there were 10-20 years ago, but the number of applicants has increased a lot more. Population growth....
No there are not more hunts than 10 yrs ago, I have the old books to prove it, 20 yrs ago I have no clue. Not sure why your trying to defend the current system, its sucks and could be made better. Enought people scream and changes can happen, look at new mexico and their non-resident quota now, look a colorado and their true preference points system where the guys with the most points get picked first (not saying I want a true preference points system).

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-07-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #96
grizzman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I got skunked last year. This year I have a great lease with axis, and I'm going to Utah on an elk hunt. I really don't want to draw anything, other than the Grand Slam of course. I wish they'd give us the ability to buy points. I'll probably put in for the Chap and other hard-to-draw hunts in hopes of getting points rather than drawing. Usually I put in for hunts with good draw odds rather than the dream places. That's how I've been drawn so many times. It didn't work last year, but sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes we'll draw 2 or 3 in a year.
I don't even know if I still have a lease for this year. I can hunt on my BIL's land but I'm loath to do that since he made a big production out of it with my stepfather when he was alive.

I just found out that I got a 5% raise, so maybe I can talk my wife into letting me use a little money for a hunting trip.

I have put in for hunts with low and high draw odds and been drawn. Surprisingly enough though I can't seem to get drawn for Gun Antlerless.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #97
picklenav130
Nubbin' Buck

This will be my first time applying since I moved back to Texas last year. After reading this thread looks like it will be a pay and pray exercise. Followed by wash rinse repeat next year.
picklenav130 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #98
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:

That's not the case, it would be if everyone could apply for the same number of hunts which ain't happening. Some people can not apply for that many hunts due to reasons that are their business due to not having the time off work to apply for that many hunts or not having $200-300+ bucks to drop on app fees that will in all likelihood be wasted anyways, etc. whatever there reason may be how is it fair if they can only apply for 3 verses a number of ppl that apply for 20+. If they went back to the way they used to do it everyone would be entering the same number of apps and it would be even for everyone. Again, I know you like the system because you have had success with it but you are the exception rather than the norm. But it is luck of the draw but everyone wants to see better drawing odds not already long odds that get ****tier and ****tier every year.

And population growth don't have much to do with it this new system caters to the people that are too lazy to go to the effort to do their homework, fill out a postcard and mail in a check. And since in general people are lazy as **** more and more people are applying.

Last edited by SolocamShooter; 07-07-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #99
db@100
Eight Point

I had 20 points before I got drawn for the Chap the last time. Now i'm slowly working my point total back up. I hope to get drawn again before I'm 80.

I do wish that some of y'all that like to complain about it would stop applying so maybe I could get drawn again!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #100
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

I just donated $42.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top