Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #51
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Now we are going to need before, during and after pics!

I'll also be sure and tell the boys you are going to put in a rather large water slide!
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #52
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-butcher View Post
Exactly. I put way more money into my house and i jumped in feet first. A pool is a hole in the ground with rebar and some gunite. Throw in a little plumbing some electrical and some stone -deck work. Like i said i wish id have had the time to build my whole pool.Good luck with the build. Ill be following.

Thanks! Also to the guys with Pm's, I'll respond soon. Cooking dinner for my wife tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #53
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Thanks!

I'm surprised at how many ppl think this is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong with the gunite, you think Aquatic Pools (whatever) sends a guy out to fix it? NO, they call the gunite company. The pool company coordinates and makes $$$$$. I'm completely sure that I can coordinate and save $$$$$$
As stated earlier, you probably will not get contractor pricing, expect to pay 10-30 % more from most subs, unless they are not busy and need the work,if they are not busy that should be a red flag as well because it is booming out there, also the subs are not going to put you at the top of their list when you have a problem, they will be too busy catering to their builders that give them numerous jobs, the subs refer owner/builders as one hit wonders. I am not trying to talk you out of it, I am sure you can build your own pool, I just do not see a great savings, thats all, good luck with it and post some pics.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #54
TexasBob
Ten Point

I'm following, and planning to do the same. Hoping to start fall 2017 for some extra savings. For those against this did you build one yourself with horrible results? Also, i don't see how even saving 20-30% is insignificant. That's easily 18-20k on a pool. Significant chunk of coin in my world.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #55
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I'm following, and planning to do the same. Hoping to start fall 2017 for some extra savings. For those against this did you build one yourself with horrible results? Also, i don't see how even saving 20-30% is insignificant. That's easily 18-20k on a pool. Significant chunk of coin in my world.

You are not going to save 20-30 percent unless the subs give you contractor pricing, most will not because if their builders find out they may get canned. You still have design cost, permits plus your time over seeing the project, I am telling you, I have been in this business since 1984, if you build a 70K dollar pool I would be very surprised if you saved 7K, then you have to put up with the mistakes you made and also worry about getting subs back out to fix things. It all sounds good but there just is not that much profit in a pool, these builders do numbers so they do ok when they build 40-80 pools a year, now there are some builders who do really high end pools, they make some money on those but we are talking 150K and up. Maybe the Houston market is different but the two operations I own in Dallas / Fort Worth and Austin / San antonio are that way, good luck to all you owner builders, hope it works out well for you.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #56
TexasBob
Ten Point

Please don't think I'm being argumentative but I can't make this all add up. How would a pool company know what a sub charged me or even that they did the work? Based on the offices, showrooms, and jacked up F250s I see around here the pool companies make a dam sight more than $7k a pool.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #57
muley4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rockies, West Texas, Panhandle

Quote:
Please don't think I'm being argumentative but I can't make this all add up. How would a pool company know what a sub charged me or even that they did the work? Based on the offices, showrooms, and jacked up F250s I see around here the pool companies make a dam sight more than $7k a pool.

I'm with you on this one. Let's use a roofing contractor for example. Let's say the free estimate comes in at $15k. What is the percentage of labor and material cost that is estimated into that $15k? I realize that insurance and other cost are absorbed in to the quote but based on the trucks that drive into the neighborhoods to give out free estimates I highly doubt the contractors are hurting and not making 10% or so they claim in profit.
muley4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #58
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:

The pool contractor is not going to know what you are getting charged.

But every trade subcontractor on the planet knows that working direct for a homeowner is a pain in the *** that will cost them money. Also, there is no volume in it. So, they charge more.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #59
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Hunt In: None - focusing on other things (daughter's apartment and lab retriever training)

After 100 days of pain and agony with Blue Bonnet Custom Pools out of Waller I cut them the final check. I would strongly suggest NOT using them if you go the conventional route. We had issues with the contractor in every phase of the build. Amazing how he was never on site for important things like the dig, gunite, concrete deck, plumbing, or pebbletech. Not to mention his part time crews using the neighbors as their personal toilet.

Modern Method did our pebbletech, I didn't have any problems with them - only that the contractor forgot to get them the final plans that had a spa. I paid the extra on this since the contractor blamed the extra charge on me making the pool a couple inches deeper.

Finally gave up on the punch list and fixed things myself.
Bill's Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #60
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
The pool contractor is not going to know what you are getting charged.

But every trade subcontractor on the planet knows that working direct for a homeowner is a pain in the *** that will cost them money. Also, there is no volume in it. So, they charge more.
Not if you pay cash and don't need a receipt. Let's face it. If the subs can do a solid cash job on the side for the OP then he can get a good deal out of them. He's gonna save some cash being the contractor for this project just like I saved cash by being the contractor on a couple of my houses. Building pools and houses can't be that hard, I've seen some of the people that do it.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #61
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Got one word for ya. Fiberglass! At least take a look at them. I have owned other pools and the fiberglass pool we have now is the best so far, easy to take care of and fast to install.
Attached Images

Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #62
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Not if you pay cash and don't need a receipt. Let's face it. If the subs can do a solid cash job on the side for the OP then he can get a good deal out of them. He's gonna save some cash being the contractor for this project just like I saved cash by being the contractor on a couple of my houses. Building pools and houses can't be that hard, I've seen some of the people that do it.
There are alot of people that can do it, but there aren't very many that can do it right.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #63
dbruce624
Nubbin' Buck

I am a pool contractor. And I will be the first to say that this Industry is full of snake and good for nothing contractors who never stand by there work. With that said my recommendation is don't try for the cheapest thing out there or you will spend a fortune to fix. 30,000 may seem like a lot now but if some one has to come and fix structure you could easy double that and still have to play to refinish it. Good luck
dbruce624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #64
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley4x4 View Post
I'm with you on this one. Let's use a roofing contractor for example. Let's say the free estimate comes in at $15k. What is the percentage of labor and material cost that is estimated into that $15k? I realize that insurance and other cost are absorbed in to the quote but based on the trucks that drive into the neighborhoods to give out free estimates I highly doubt the contractors are hurting and not making 10% or so they claim in profit.
It's 40-50% for roofing contractors.

Is it wrong to wish one of them would come on and argue the numbers with me?
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #65
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
It's 40-50% for roofing contractors.

Is it wrong to wish one of them would come on and argue the numbers with me?
Does that include overhead and profit ?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #66
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

My buddy did exactly what your proposing and he saved exactly what your estimating. I don't know if the folks on here who say you won't save that much are including their overhead or what but in the end he saved 30k on a 100 pool.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #67
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
My buddy did exactly what your proposing and he saved exactly what your estimating. I don't know if the folks on here who say you won't save that much are including their overhead or what but in the end he saved 30k on a 100 pool.
I believe the op said 30 K on a 70 K pool, hell if he can do that i will just sell them, let him build them, we split 30 K a pool, I pretty much know i could probably sell 40-50 a year, hell that is 750 K in my pocket for doing nothing but selling it, no overhead or headaches, sounds great to me, when do we start ? All bs aside, yes you could save a little money by building your own, there are several things that can bite you in the butt, and your time is not free, at least mine is not, i could be out making money doing what I know in stead of something that i do not know anything about. The pool building business is extremely competitive, more seem to go broke than make it in the business, you would think that with those profit margins more of them would survive.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #68
Swampa
Pope & Young

Default Pool excavation Tomball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
I believe the op said 30 K on a 70 K pool, hell if he can do that i will just sell them, let him build them, we split 30 K a pool, I pretty much know i could probably sell 40-50 a year, hell that is 750 K in my pocket for doing nothing but selling it, no overhead or headaches, sounds great to me, when do we start ? All bs aside, yes you could save a little money by building your own, there are several things that can bite you in the butt, and your time is not free, at least mine is not, i could be out making money doing what I know in stead of something that i do not know anything about. The pool building business is extremely competitive, more seem to go broke than make it in the business, you would think that with those profit margins more of them would survive.

I believe the original thread was asking if anyone had a contact for a pool excavator. No, I'm sure it was. You've regurgitated your opinion enough. I'll be sure to follow up with what takes place. Pics and numbers when it's done. I've gotten two more quotes from builders since starting this thread. $73 and $77k

Last edited by Swampa; 02-15-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #69
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Following. Not for information, but affirmation this time.
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #70
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Following. Not for information, but affirmation.
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #71
grassmaster
Eight Point

I cant help you much with the pool but I can get you block or natural stone for your retention wall. I'm up in magnolia. Shoot me a PM and we can get together on what you want, cost and installers if you need them. I can swing a wholesale discount for you on any of the stone products including the coping, waterfall and decking if you want natural stone or pavers
grassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #72
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
I cant help you much with the pool but I can get you block or natural stone for your retention wall. I'm up in magnolia. Shoot me a PM and we can get together on what you want, cost and installers if you need them. I can swing a wholesale discount for you on any of the stone products including the coping, waterfall and decking if you want natural stone or pavers
Now this is a little more green screenish.
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #73
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pool. Wanting to eliminate the expensive pool company! Anyone on here know of a reputable pool digger? I'm aware of Azteca just looking for more options.

Thanks
you get the beer and I'll bring a couple of shovels and we can make it a month long dig party ?
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #74
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
No offense Sir, but if you do it yourself, it's not saving a little money, it's saving a lot of money.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #75
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

I been in the pool business since 1984, have worked on an estimated 30,000 swimming pools, I have most of my own crews to build a pool, I have my own concrete trucks, dump trucks, excavators, concrete crews, rock crews, plaster crews, and a sales staff, i think the op said he could save 30K in post number 6 , maybe i am nuts or one dumb arse but I thought that is what i read, if not then i apologize.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #76
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
I believe the original thread was asking if anyone had a contact for a pool excavator. No, I'm sure it was. You've regurgitated your opinion enough. I'll be sure to follow up with what takes place. Pics and numbers when it's done. I've gotten two more quotes from builders since starting this thread. $73 and $77k

Well good luck to you, i believe your post number 6 said 30 K in savings, if you can do that then you could make a fortune in the pool business. I hope it all goes well for you.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #77
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

We tried to go straight to the contractor for resurfacing our pool. Price was higher than going through a pool builder using the same contractor.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #78
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We tried to go straight to the contractor for resurfacing our pool. Price was higher than going through a pool builder using the same contractor.
Imagine that
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #79
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post

Did you shop around for other contractors?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #80
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Did you shop around for other contractors?

2 of the 3 that are certified.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #81
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Well good luck to you, i believe your post number 6 said 30 K in savings, if you can do that then you could make a fortune in the pool business. I hope it all goes well for you.

Lol, he did. That is why I laughed. I have been in business since 81', owner since 92'. I wish you the best of luck on your build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #82
Swampa
Pope & Young

Moving forward pretty soon. Waiting on the hoa to approve my plans. I've got quotes from excavation, rebar, gunite, and plaster. Meeting with the plumber/elec tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #83
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Are you going to put a Cowboys Star in the bottom of the pool?
You're welcome!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #84
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Are you going to put a Cowboys Star in the bottom of the pool?
You're welcome!!!

You know, I just might!!! Thanks for that idea, hadn't thought about it

Old 04-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #85
Swampa
Pope & Young

Bringing this back up!

Got HOA approval. We're digging next Saturday. I'll post pics and add that the numbers are crazy. A lot has taken place. Pm me if interested and thanks to the guys who offered help. A dream has come a reality!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #86
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

post pics.

and the numbers.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #87
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Good luck with the build.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #88
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Our last house had a pool that was built by the homeowner. As far as how it was built, I couldn't tell any difference in quality than any other pool. It was 15yrs old, and although the repairs were becoming more frequent, it was still in great condition.

When we went to build our pool at our new house, we learned a lot. For me, and my own personal risk tolerance, the pool builder provides several key things:

1. Leverage with the subs. Yes, the builder is charging a markup, but the volume of work they provide to their subs gives them leverage in making sure the sub does the job right and stands behind their work. As a single project builder, the sub only stands to lose one job with your project. But if they mess up and lose work from a builder, that could cause them to go out of business.

2. Coordination and timing. Builders have control over the jobs their subs have and the order they do them. As a single project, you get fit in, and the timing between stages won't necessarily be as seamless.

You can certainly do it yourself, just be meticulous in selecting your subs. Require proof of insurance from each sub, use a written contract for each sub, and demand a written release of lien upon payment. You might consider writing a contract template for each sub that addresses these things, and use their project scope as an attachment to the contract.

Good luck with it! I did a live build post last year that will give you an idea of the steps, timing, and equipment. Glad to help with questions if you need.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #89
RR 314
Ten Point

Following. Not in the market for another concrete pond, but am looking forward to the math.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #90
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

A family friend of ours did this. No problems but they don't have much land so they had to pay to remove the dirt.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #91
IbeHuntn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Live oak County

This thread was started a long time ago, why no pics... wonder why how it all turned out

IbeHuntn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #92
Swampa
Pope & Young

All my subs work together on a daily basis. They have all been at my house a few times to go over my plans and we drank beer for a few hours. The deck, coping, tile, plaster sub is going to be here for the gunite shoot to make sure they get the dimensions right for him. 2 of them are in my neighborhood on a daily basis for other pools, they stop by every time. I'm having no issue with coordination and to Rod's question......it's sickening! 30+
Old 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #93
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

If we don't end up having plans next Saturday I'm coming over to watch this debacle!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #94
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeHuntn View Post
This thread was started a long time ago, why no pics... wonder why how it all turned out

It was started a month and a half ago.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #95
ownels
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Good luck and in for the outcome
ownels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #96
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

In for the final results and numbers!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #97
BIGCHEEZ01
Four Point

Hunt In: deep south texas

following
BIGCHEEZ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #98
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unknown

I thought about the same thing, but ended up going with a reputable pool company that had been in business a long time. It actually didn't cost much more than I originally planned to spend and I got a lifetime warranty on the gunite.

I saw someone talked about a fiberglass. There is also a company that makes custom liners. You build the pool out of cinder block and lay that foam concrete mix in the bottom. The put in the custom liner. All instruction online. Always wanted to try putting one of those in. Looks good and cheap. Like a above ground pool, but in the ground.

Last edited by crawdaddct; 04-06-2017 at 03:14 PM..
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #99
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

In to watch this play out.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #100
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Starting this Saturday?
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top