Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Pool excavation Tomball

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pool. Wanting to eliminate the expensive pool company! Anyone on here know of a reputable pool digger? I'm aware of Azteca just looking for more options.

Thanks
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Swampa
Pope & Young

No one?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I used Owen's Custom Pools outta Ft. Worth....
They were excellent...
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
RatherBhuntin
Four Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Are you looking for just dig or get you through the gunite stage?
RatherBhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Two friends tried this. Didn't end up well for them. I thought about doing the same since I am in construction but decided against it and feel it was money well spent. If and when something goes wrong you only have yourself to look at to fix it. I would recommend getting some type of builders insurance in case you encounter a problem after all your subs are gone. Getting them to show back up to fix a mistake wont be easy.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
Two friends tried this. Didn't end up well for them. I thought about doing the same since I am in construction but decided against it and feel it was money well spent. If and when something goes wrong you only have yourself to look at to fix it. I would recommend getting some type of builders insurance in case you encounter a problem after all your subs are gone. Getting them to show back up to fix a mistake wont be easy.

What happened with your friends? My ears are open, but after getting quotes I think I can save around $30K. Even if something goes wrong I will have some wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBhuntin View Post
Are you looking for just dig or get you through the gunite stage?

I'm open, all or parts of it.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Melvin

Figure it out and I'll pay you $10k to build mine!
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
tps7742
Ten Point

Jaspermac
Pm sent
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
RatherBhuntin
Four Point

Hunt In: Sonora

I may be able to help you out.

PM sent
RatherBhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I have a buddy who did this and he didn't have anymore issues than what most people seem to have with pool builders. I will be doing the same this summer. We ate in magnolia so let me see if I can get his subs. I know he had one company that ended up doing alot of the work.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Quote:
I had a contractor build my pool. They smashed my driveway and busted my sprinkler system. Even though I hired a contractor I still ended up having to fix it myself. (Well the driveway part is still smashed actually.) Oh well.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I have a buddy who did this and he didn't have anymore issues than what most people seem to have with pool builders. I will be doing the same this summer. We ate in magnolia so let me see if I can get his subs. I know he had one company that ended up doing alot of the work.

Appreciated! I have a few contacts now, but not enough to get it done. I'm ready to move forward. Got. 811 scheduled and a plan in with the hoa. Hoping to get a jump start on the summer time rush.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
texasair
Six Point

I used to be a pool sub.
I can assure you that pool builders paid much less than we charged owner builders, Call it a volume discount.
I dont think that you save much over a fair price from a competent builder.

i did not, but I know several subs that cut a lot of corners working for owner builders, because they could.

Also, you have problems getting subs to comeback to correct mistakes or do warranty. Many will only come back if you have more jobs for them

Last edited by texasair; 02-13-2017 at 09:29 PM..
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #15
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
What happened with your friends? My ears are open, but after getting quotes I think I can save around $30K. Even if something goes wrong I will have some wiggle room.

Lol, $30,000!. I am in business....good luck on that. Also, when subs realize you are a homeowner, they jack the price. Plus, if they cause/have problems, they have no reason to go back. I look forward to your build

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Oh man with all the problems that come along with pools (even professionally built ones) I wouldn't dare build one without a pro doing all of it. Good luck however you decide to complete it
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Supreme Pools on Kuykendaul very good guys.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #18
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
Lol, $30,000!. I am in business....good luck on that. Also, when subs realize you are a homeowner, they jack the price. Plus, if they cause/have problems, they have no reason to go back. I look forward to your build

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's your markup? I've done a ton of research. I'll wait to post hard numbers. 700 sq ft, retention wall, pool/spa, variable pumps, flagstone/travertine, pebble sheen

Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #19
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Quote:
Appreciated! I have a few contacts now, but not enough to get it done. I'm ready to move forward. Got. 811 scheduled and a plan in with the hoa. Hoping to get a jump start on the summer time rush.

Where are you going to buy the pump, filter, cleaner, heater all the electronics and set them up so they work the way they are suppose to.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
8mpg
Eight Point

I support you man... I dont know how much you will actually save but if you do this, please post up some numbers. This really interests me.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #21
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
Where are you going to buy the pump, filter, cleaner, heater all the electronics and set them up so they work the way they are suppose to.

South Tx. One of my contacts has an account there. I can buy Jandy, pentair, or Hayward. He will order it through his account, I show up and buy it and pick it up.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #22
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Supreme Pools on Kuykendaul very good guys.

BJ has been over and quoted me. I can use the same guys that he and all the local builders like Regal, Prestige, Modern Method Gunite, etc

Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #23
texasair
Six Point

Also pool builders spread the risk over many pools
A little extra on each pool to cover catastrophic events that do happen.
An excavation mishap, cave in or floating pool happens to all builders every once in a while, They know how to handle it and budget for it.

You are not a priority customer so your hole will be open longer before gunite. No matter what they tell you, when a big storm is coming, you will be last on the list.

What will happen if your hole is open with forms set, steel and plumbing and electrical installed and we get a heavy rain or the 18 to 20" we got last April.

I have seen cave in's where the structure of the home was compromised.
I assure you when your insurance company finds out you were building your own pool, they will walk away.
What happens if you are the general contractor and a worker gets killed or severely injured?
See if you can get a real insurance certificate from a real insurance company (if the sub has one) listing you as the also insured for general liability and workers comp, It won't happen.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #24
Swampa
Pope & Young

You talk like this doesn't take place on a daily basis. Sure, there is a risk involved, but it's not the end of the world if something does go wrong. If so, I'll pay to repair it. If not I'm way ahead. Not sure what all the scare is about. I can use the same guys that the builder uses. What's the difference?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #25
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

honestly how hard is it?

Installing pumps and all that is electrical and plumbing. do your research on the gunite people. you cant go back and fix that easily.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #26
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

I don't go into 7-11 and tell the guy behind the counter how to run the Slurpee machine. Why? Because I don't know how to run it myself. I am not excavation and utilities and I wouldn't build a pool for myself. Why? Because I don't know how. All those subs that do it for the pool builders still require guidance. Do you know what they should be doing and how it should be done properly? What are you going to do when one of the pipe under the pool starts leaking? How will you fix it? How much will it cost?

I hope all goes well with your build but don't be surprised with the issues you encounter along the way. Please do a build along or update us with your progress.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #27
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasair View Post
An excavation mishap, cave in or floating pool happens to all builders every once in a while, They know how to handle it and budget for it.

You are not a priority customer so your hole will be open longer before gunite. No matter what they tell you, when a big storm is coming, you will be last on the list.

What will happen if your hole is open with forms set, steel and plumbing and electrical installed and we get a heavy rain or the 18 to 20" we got last April.

I assure you when your insurance company finds out you were building your own pool, they will walk away.
What happens if you are the general contractor and a worker gets killed or severely injured?
See if you can get a real insurance certificate from a real insurance company (if the sub has one) listing you as the also insured for general liability and workers comp, It won't happen.

He's doing the same thing a custom pool builder does. He's subbing out all the work and not paying a builder $40k to sit on their arse and point a finger.

Btw...texasair, do you build pools?
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #28
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't go into 7-11 and tell the guy behind the counter how to run the Slurpee machine. Why? Because I don't know how to run it myself. I am not excavation and utilities and I wouldn't build a pool for myself. Why? Because I don't know how. All those subs that do it for the pool builders still require guidance. Do you know what they should be doing and how it should be done properly? What are you going to do when one of the pipe under the pool starts leaking? How will you fix it? How much will it cost?

I hope all goes well with your build but don't be surprised with the issues you encounter along the way. Please do a build along or update us with your progress.

A top of the line builder is building one next to my house. I haven't seen a pool co guy out there more that 10 minutes. I promise, I've been keeping tabs on it too. Think about it, the same crews build all their pools, everyday. You think they don't know what they're doing?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #29
the-butcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: cushing,tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
Dont let it scare you. I set my whole pool up. Electronics pump heater blower aux pump. Wired in all the equipment and setup all the relays. It even works. Lol. Remote control and all. Saved me 2500 with my pool builder doing that part myself
the-butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #30
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasair View Post

I know you have sense enough to ignore most of the above nonsense ....

No, your insurance company won't 'walk away'

"Also insured" -- lol

And following -- I'm with you all the way!
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #31
texasair
Six Point

I am retired and do not build pools so I have no dog in this hunt.
I apologize for being so negative and wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Coby, contact Landrover. He contracted his own pool (Woodlands) and may be able to share some contractor contacts.

After the pool we had in Richmond, I really don't want another. Like all things my wife wants, she says she'll take care of the cleaning and such, that only lasted two weeks before I had to do it. In her defense, she has kept he promise taking care of the dog and the kid. After I got tired of taking care of the pool, which I was horrible at, I ended up hiring a company to come do it. I do not want another pool, but I'm sure, in the end, we'll have one in Fulshear. When that time comes, I will be building (or contracting) it out, myself as I cannot see spending that much again. We got a DEAL on our first pool ($32k), but I doubt we'd get that now.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #33
Tumbler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana and Texas

In
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #34
jer_james
Ten Point

I guess the only guys that build pools have done 100s of them and did everything themselves starting out. I wonder how they ever got to that first one?

Seriously a joke with some of the negativity in this thread.

Good luck to you Sir, All the best.

After getting our first 2 quotes, wish I had the free time and ability to try my hand at rounding it all up.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:

You are not going to save anywhere near 30K if you are building apples to apples, well unless you have several subs that are doing the work for cost. Most good pool contractors make 15-20 percent on a project. As one poster already said, good luck when things start to break, you will be the one to take care of it, and even if the subs provide a warranty good luck getting them back out, they work for builders who give them dozens of jobs, not just one. Also most of the subs are not going to give you builder pricing, i know that i rarely give a homeowner the same price that i give my builders. Good luck on the pool build.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #36
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

How much is the pool going to increase your property taxes?
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #37
muley4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rockies, West Texas, Panhandle

pretty cool concept. I'm really interested to see what you do end up saving in the long run.

We need to have our pool resurfaced in the next year or two. I have heard varying prices on what the cost is. I know that we were quoted almost double on pebble tec versus white gunite.
muley4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #38
Nike
Six Point

I'm a DIY kinda guy too. Own an excavator and run it for a living. Mostly septic work.

I've been wanting to dig a pool for some time now but like any first timer haven't taken the "risk" yet.

The wife and I have talked about buying a big prefabbed fiberglass pool and installing everything myself. Therefore if it fails I wouldn't be out near the $$$! Maybe turn it into a fancy stock tank. Lol
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
Swampa
Pope & Young

I'll post up my build and numbers for all the naysayers.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #40
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Coby, contact Landrover. He contracted his own pool (Woodlands) and may be able to share some contractor contacts.

After the pool we had in Richmond, I really don't want another. Like all things my wife wants, she says she'll take care of the cleaning and such, that only lasted two weeks before I had to do it. In her defense, she has kept he promise taking care of the dog and the kid. After I got tired of taking care of the pool, which I was horrible at, I ended up hiring a company to come do it. I do not want another pool, but I'm sure, in the end, we'll have one in Fulshear. When that time comes, I will be building (or contracting) it out, myself as I cannot see spending that much again. We got a DEAL on our first pool ($32k), but I doubt we'd get that now.
Thanks bud!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #41
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Let me know when it's ready, I'll come to the grand opening pool party.

Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #42
Swampa
Pope & Young

LOL! TBH pool party
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #43
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Rent a mini excavator and I'll bring the beer!
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #44
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
You are not going to save anywhere near 30K if you are building apples to apples, well unless you have several subs that are doing the work for cost. Most good pool contractors make 15-20 percent on a project. As one poster already said, good luck when things start to break, you will be the one to take care of it, and even if the subs provide a warranty good luck getting them back out, they work for builders who give them dozens of jobs, not just one. Also most of the subs are not going to give you builder pricing, i know that i rarely give a homeowner the same price that i give my builders. Good luck on the pool build.
^^^^This.

I grew up building pools and my family has been doing it since 1949. I don't do it anymore, but I am still a construction estimator. If you think you are saving that much either there is a hole in your bid or you are talking to the wrong contractors.

We only subbed gunite, plaster, and permit electrical or plumbing stuff, and I would think that most reputable pool contractors do it more or less the same. There were also some specialty stuff we subbed like cool deck, spray deck, etc.

That leaves alot of work for you to do yourself or find subs for.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #45
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Rent a mini excavator and I'll bring the beer!
You two digging up a backyard brings this to mind.

Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #46
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post

"Also insured" -- lol

Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #47
the-butcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post

"Also insured" -- lol

Im with you too. Get some builders insurance and learn as you go. If i would have had the time id have done my whole pool. I built my own house without a builder. Just a little american want to.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #48
the-butcher
Ten Point

Modern method gunite was who did my pebble sheen and i was impressed with their operation. Very professional.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #49
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-butcher View Post
Modern method gunite was who did my pebble sheen and i was impressed with their operation. Very professional.
Thanks!

I'm surprised at how many ppl think this is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong with the gunite, you think Aquatic Pools (whatever) sends a guy out to fix it? NO, they call the gunite company. The pool company coordinates and makes $$$$$. I'm completely sure that I can coordinate and save $$$$$$
Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #50
the-butcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm surprised at how many ppl think this is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong with the gunite, you think Aquatic Pools (whatever) sends a guy out to fix it? NO, they call the gunite company. The pool company coordinates and makes $$$$$. I'm completely sure that I can coordinate and save $$$$$$
Exactly. I put way more money into my house and i jumped in feet first. A pool is a hole in the ground with rebar and some gunite. Throw in a little plumbing some electrical and some stone -deck work. Like i said i wish id have had the time to build my whole pool.Good luck with the build. Ill be following.