Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #101
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Since Jooger said all those nice things about me I guess I should apologize.....sorry steve..
Touché lol
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #102
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
I hunted him from daylight to dark every single day that I was off from Oct 5th to Dec 22nd. I work 14/14 so that is a lot of days! LOTS OF HOURS! I passed a giant 9pt 145ish at 20 yards on Halloween morning. I'd seen him on the 5th at 15 yards but it was too thick to shoot.

I lost 25lbs that year hunting that back! I'd get up at 4am, drive an hour. Sneak in about a 1/2mi. 1/2 of that I had to crawl because it was so thick! I'd have some bottled water and trail mix in my pack. I'd set til black dark and sneak back out, drive an hour home, drink 2 beers for supper, go to bed and do it again tomorrow. For 3 months! My mom thought I was on drugs because I looked so bad.

Maybe when Steve goes on to the white oak bottom in the sky he'll leave me those horns in his will lol! I've never hunted a deer so hard before or since. I learned more about E. Tx deer that year than I had in a lifetime of hunting there.
I remember the live thread you had going...
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #103
Falling
Six Point

nevermind. ~~
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #104
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

These stories just keep getting better and better.

That's a nice 'full circle' story on Ol Double Shot. Very cool you were able to knock him down with that same friend in company.

Was there any 'damage' to either side of his horns from the spine/bullet injury?

My dad's first buck he shot (at age 40) was an 8pt but one side looked like it belonged on a yearling deer. One of the old men in camp said 'I bet he has been shot before or injured'

Sure enough, when we cleaned him, about 3/4 of his spine was gone right above his shoulder blades, and only the bottom 1/4 was connected. We deduced that somebody must have skipped a bullet right over him
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #105
nick05
Eight Point

Hunt In: ETX, DCNF

Awsome hunts! Cant wait to get back to the DCNF!!!
nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #106
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Nope. He was perfect. He came in like a bull too! I have seen deer that had a broke leg, have a goofy antler though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
These stories just keep getting better and better.

That's a nice 'full circle' story on Ol Double Shot. Very cool you were able to knock him down with that same friend in company.

Was there any 'damage' to either side of his horns from the spine/bullet injury?

My dad's first buck he shot (at age 40) was an 8pt but one side looked like it belonged on a yearling deer. One of the old men in camp said 'I bet he has been shot before or injured'

Sure enough, when we cleaned him, about 3/4 of his spine was gone right above his shoulder blades, and only the bottom 1/4 was connected. We deduced that somebody must have skipped a bullet right over him
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #107
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Youre not serious are you? Wow!

It's east TX! Spot lights and road beers . Just kidding. Is that really your bone pile?

Just read some this to my 5 year old. She said more daddy. Haha your tbh post became abed time story for a kid you never met. keep em coming.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #108
Clay243
Eight Point

Hunt In: Normangee, Troup

I've got one in East Texas I've been chasing for 2 years with this one being my third. I'm going to have to change something up because I think he has me patterned. It seems we have been playing cat and mouse. I've seen him three times in person. Last season I could have shot him with the 270 but couldn't bring my self to do it. Hopefully this year is the year. The first thing I may try is slipping into my stand around 9 am and sitting until 3-4. I get a lot of pics of him mid day. I have sat late waiting on him but I think he is close when I get in the stand and on those days he never moves. This thread has me ready for season.
Clay243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #109
GarGuy
Pope & Young

The lost Ten

When I killed the ten in my avatar, the next week I had his ghost on camera. Another ten just like him. I believe they were twin brothers and when I looked back at pics I realized I had both on camera before and thought they were the same deer. Never had both there at the same time. I was tagged out and knew the deer I killed was 5.5 so I couldnt wait for the next year. Well I watched him all summer and he was bigger. Definitely in the 160s. AS bow season got here I had three studs on the hit list including the big ten.

After bowhunting him hard I finally had him dead to rights! The only problem was, he showed up with all three of my target deer! I shot the 8pt instead. He scored 152 2/8 and is posted earlier in this thread. I knew I made the right choice regardless of score. I started letting my daughter hunt him. I would go sit for hogs and he would roll in. Bring my daughter back the next day... nothing. I did that for a month. Finally , Dec 30th, he walked right out on my daughter at 25yds at 4pm! Problem was, he had shed his left antler. We watched him almost an hour.

The next year at 7.5, he was bigger! I hate to say what he would score but he was 22 inside, beams in the 27 inch range and good mass. All his tines were long. I knew this was the deer I was committed to for the year and didn't even make a hitlist. I started hunting him archery only and had a couple of really close calls. he ran a doe past me and I got him stopped at 36yds. I was full draw but he was alert and I just didn't do it.

In November, when the outside pressure was on, he showed up right where I expected. in the thicket I killed his brother in. A couple days later conditions were perfect and I was getting 100 pics a day of him in my corn pile. I got in there about 115pm and at 320, he came walking in without a care in the World. He stopped to work the exact same scrape I shot my avatar buck in. He was relaxed and I put the pin just below dead center and cut it loose. WHACK! he folded in his tracks with about half an arrow sticking out slightly higher than I meant to hit and I guess I caught the bottom of his spine. He lay on his side with his stomach toward me and and a couple minutes later was still able to raise his head. I figured I better finish him so I calmed my shakes and shot him again. The arrow hit him just above the sternum and im sure the ground stopped it as only half the fletching and noc were sticking out.

He scrambled forward and to my surprise, got his feet under him and crashed into the briar patch. I was shaking head to toe and called several folks to let them know I had killed him. I sat in the stand and waited for a friend and Dad to get there. The second arrow was about ten yards down the trail and had lung blood the entire length. He made it 40yds to a small creek and that's where we lost him. I spent five days in that thicket. I worked it in grid with a gps and machete. You cant picture a worse youpon and greenbriar mess with 2ft visibility. I never found that deer. Any half way dog would have got him. sadly, it wasn't legal at the time to use one.

That was four years ago and IM sick at my stomach to this day about that deer. I had logged over 100 hours already that year after him besides the years before. There is no logical explaination for that one.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #110
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
It's east TX! Spot lights and road beers . Just kidding. Is that really your bone pile?

Just read some this to my 5 year old. She said more daddy. Haha your tbh post became abed time story for a kid you never met. keep em coming.
That's the ones in the corner minus my mounts.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #111
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Great story GarGuy
Booner Sooner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #112
Dreamer1
Ten Point

I've really enjoyed reliving these hunts with you this evening.
I too have the same question regarding Hogs in your thickets.
How are you not overrun with hogs in these spots, or do you continue to hunt them anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Wow! Always enjoy your thread but this one will get a man ready for deer season. Question I am firm believer in hand corn as well but it seems anymore the hogs find it as fast and turns into a hog spot and I loose interest. Do you think it effects the spot as much as I do or do you continue to hunt it?
Dreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #113
BIG IRON
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Quote:
Lucky 8

I had a spot rigged up fro dad(I do that a lot) and he was rifle hunting but I wanted to bow hunt. I looked like a cinch and I needed to stay close so I went with him and carried my bow. I was sitting at the truck listening for him to shoot when I remembered a whiteoak plot on a deep creek about 1.5 miles in the back of the property adjoining a terrible thicket. The wind was perfect for an approach and I decided to go check it out. I walked in and when I got close, I could smell bucks and hear acorns whacking the ground. I eased up too the first big whiteoak and saw two fresh rubs under it and the leaves all kicked up. To my left was a giant pine that was blown down by hurricane Ike and it had a big clay rootball.
I tucked in on the log with little cover but five minutes later I had a young buck sniffing for acorns. He crossed the deep creek and gave me a chance to breath when he got abut 40yds . Not for long. the mosquitoes were absolutely killing me. I hadn't come prepared to hunt and had nothing but a thin shirt on. About the time I couldn't stand it anymore, here comes five does. Ten yards and I cant move. I see movement to my right and there is a pretty nice deer working a scrape 20yds away but I cant even turn my head to look at him. He made the does nervous and they fed over to the next tree. The buck turned and walked back the way he came ..giving me the walking away shivers. Man he looked BIG!

I seized that opportunity to wipe a bunch of blood gorged skeeters off my arms and back. before hearing a deer coming at a fast crunch from the direction the big deer just went. I got turned and ready. He was a nice 6.5yr old 8pt but really not as big as I thought when he walked away. He was on a mission and I had watched the other deer go behind that big whiteoak before crossing the creek. He was right in step. When his head went behind the tree, I drew and his ribcage came out just as I was solid at anchor. I touched the release and heard the smack of a Muzzy striking home. He bolted forward and into the creek but didn't come out. I sat there a few seconds and then eased over to the creek bank. He was standing right in the bottom wobbeling side to side so I sent another straight down. He let out a snort unlike any I have ever heard a deer make before collapsing.

I slid down the bank and into the stream bed with him 20ft deep. He was about 125 but man he was a warhorse of a deer. I tried getting him up the bank and got about half way before both of us slid back to the bottom! Exhausted, I was standing there panting when I heard the same type snort/bellow I had heard earlier. I looked straight up and there was the BIG buck looking down at me from the top bank. My bow was laying about 6ft from him also on the top bank! He stood there and gave me the evil eye for a few seconds and then just stiff legged back out of sight. All I can figure is he heard my wounded deer bellow and us sliding down the bank and thought it was a buck fight in the creek.

I had to get help on that one. I like hunting closer to the road!
This is my favorite one so far
BIG IRON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #114
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
The lost Ten

When I killed the ten in my avatar, the next week I had his ghost on camera. Another ten just like him. I believe they were twin brothers and when I looked back at pics I realized I had both on camera before and thought they were the same deer. Never had both there at the same time. I was tagged out and knew the deer I killed was 5.5 so I couldnt wait for the next year. Well I watched him all summer and he was bigger. Definitely in the 160s. AS bow season got here I had three studs on the hit list including the big ten.

After bowhunting him hard I finally had him dead to rights! The only problem was, he showed up with all three of my target deer! I shot the 8pt instead. He scored 152 2/8 and is posted earlier in this thread. I knew I made the right choice regardless of score. I started letting my daughter hunt him. I would go sit for hogs and he would roll in. Bring my daughter back the next day... nothing. I did that for a month. Finally , Dec 30th, he walked right out on my daughter at 25yds at 4pm! Problem was, he had shed his left antler. We watched him almost an hour.

The next year at 7.5, he was bigger! I hate to say what he would score but he was 22 inside, beams in the 27 inch range and good mass. All his tines were long. I knew this was the deer I was committed to for the year and didn't even make a hitlist. I started hunting him archery only and had a couple of really close calls. he ran a doe past me and I got him stopped at 36yds. I was full draw but he was alert and I just didn't do it.

In November, when the outside pressure was on, he showed up right where I expected. in the thicket I killed his brother in. A couple days later conditions were perfect and I was getting 100 pics a day of him in my corn pile. I got in there about 115pm and at 320, he came walking in without a care in the World. He stopped to work the exact same scrape I shot my avatar buck in. He was relaxed and I put the pin just below dead center and cut it loose. WHACK! he folded in his tracks with about half an arrow sticking out slightly higher than I meant to hit and I guess I caught the bottom of his spine. He lay on his side with his stomach toward me and and a couple minutes later was still able to raise his head. I figured I better finish him so I calmed my shakes and shot him again. The arrow hit him just above the sternum and im sure the ground stopped it as only half the fletching and noc were sticking out.

He scrambled forward and to my surprise, got his feet under him and crashed into the briar patch. I was shaking head to toe and called several folks to let them know I had killed him. I sat in the stand and waited for a friend and Dad to get there. The second arrow was about ten yards down the trail and had lung blood the entire length. He made it 40yds to a small creek and that's where we lost him. I spent five days in that thicket. I worked it in grid with a gps and machete. You cant picture a worse youpon and greenbriar mess with 2ft visibility. I never found that deer. Any half way dog would have got him. sadly, it wasn't legal at the time to use one.

That was four years ago and IM sick at my stomach to this day about that deer. I had logged over 100 hours already that year after him besides the years before. There is no logical explaination for that one.
Ugh. That SUCKS.

Other than that one this has been a GREAT thread.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #115
Keith
Administrator

Awesome stories, you need to write a book on how to kill huge, smart, east Texas bucks.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #116
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
That's the ones in the corner minus my mounts.
I really don't know what to say.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #117
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Steve, tell the one about you and Sam corralling that 10pt that layed down and his from you. That's a good one!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #118
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria

Steve as always...... AMAZING STORY!!!! Thanks for sharing
Big Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #119
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Steve, tell the one about you and Sam corralling that 10pt that layed down and his from you. That's a good one!!!
Ill tell it soon. Gotta go dig arrowheads now.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #120
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Man if this thread doesn't get you pumped up for the approaching season, NOTHING WILL!!!
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #121
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ill tell it soon. Gotta go dig arrowheads now.
Find something awesome!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #122
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom II View Post
Man if this thread doesn't get you pumped up for the approaching season, NOTHING WILL!!!
Agreed!!

Each one of these stories is worthy of having a short movie made for it!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #123
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

You may be a good hunter and arrowhead hunter, but you are also a great story teller. I've enjoyed. Are all these national forest deer? We back up to the keechi creek wma, and have never laid eyes or have pictures of anything better than about 140. 1500 acres of bottom land must have a few. We have 500 acres and about 400 of it is open pasture. Thoughts/ideas? We just started food plots last year but floods cut that short. Hogs and cows seem to be our biggest obstacle. If it weren't for those I would plant as much corn and forage as I could afford
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #124
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
You may be a good hunter and arrowhead hunter, but you are also a great story teller. I've enjoyed. Are all these national forest deer? We back up to the keechi creek wma, and have never laid eyes or have pictures of anything better than about 140. 1500 acres of bottom land must have a few. We have 500 acres and about 400 of it is open pasture. Thoughts/ideas? We just started food plots last year but floods cut that short. Hogs and cows seem to be our biggest obstacle. If it weren't for those I would plant as much corn and forage as I could afford
That sounds like a gold mine! I would make a 50 acre sanctuary in the woods. I would fence ground For food plts with hog wire. Every deer I mentioned were either on DCNF or property immediately adjoining it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #125
GarGuy
Pope & Young

The Impossible Buck

Several years ago, there was a big clearcut in the DCNF. Right in the middle of it was the intersection of two streams and a marshy spot about 5 acres that was too wet for the bulldozer when they pushed it. Now the tree tops in that spot over grew with black berry briars and made an impossible mess. There was a sandy road n one side and every morning there would be tracks from two big bucks headed in. Right after dark there would be tracks crossing headed out.

There was no doubt those two bucks were laid up in there so I started making a plan. Right on the edge was one big postoak that didn't get pushed. I sneaked in there and it was loaded with acorns. It had a bunch of low hanging branches on the thicket side and there was a scrape under every limb. I quietly hung a locon about 30ft high and spent the evening. Just as it was too dark to shot, he came out and started working scrapes under me. As soon as he left I got out with plans to be there at 5am the next morning. Sure enough, just before shooting light, he came back in. The mere I looked straight down at him, the bigger he looked!

That evening, Oct 15, he showed just a bit earlier. He was working a scrape almost directly under me but facing me. No problem, I would just shoot him between the shoulders. As I drew, he heard something and looked straight up at me! Now I literally had to shot between hiss antlers to hit his ribcage. I let fly and heard the smack before he wheeled and left. When I climed down, my arrow was sticking in the ground at a crazy angle abut a foot behing where the deers back legs were. There was bright blood but mostly fat on the arrow and only a couple drops down the trail. The more we looked the bigger that deer was in my mind!

Both sets of tracks continued to cross daily and My BIL and I decided we were going to kill those deer with a rifle. I told Sam to walk around to the back and I would bust it wide open. He HAD to get a shot. Well I was standing in a freshly bulldozed clearcut watching Sam walk to his position. Just as he got to the corner, I saw a buck come out the front side and head straight for me. Sam was directly in the line of fire walking the other direction so I just froze. When the deer got about 40yds from me , he saw me. At this point, he did the LAST thing I would have expected. HE LAID DOWN!!!!! There was an old oak log laying there that couldn't have been more than 18 inches tall and he hit the ground right behind it. I side stepped a few yards, flipped the safety and started walking up on the log. Im talking clean white sand and about 10ft of log was all that was out there.

I was wanting to yell "PULL" when I got 10yds and still couldn't see hair. He finally jumped up and I shot him as soon as his spine cleared the log. I don't think I even looked through the scope. The crazy thing was, he had turned completely around and was headed the opposite direction from when he lay down. Sam Started walking back my way and asked what I shot for. He was flabbergasted to see that buck laying out in the bald open like that. He asked if it was the monster I shot with my bow and I told him it was a nice deer but definitely not the monster I had shot in Oct. When we turned him over, The Brodhead scar was obvious. I had hit him exactly between the shoulders on the tall fins above the spine. The arrow deflected down his back strap and exited the top of his ham. It even cut through a couple of ribs. One month to the day later and he was mostly healed up. Not quite the giant I had been describing. 120ish 6year old 8pt.
There is a little more to this story as we came back for the other buck. Ill tell it later.

Last edited by GarGuy; 08-07-2014 at 11:50 PM..
Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #126
manwitaplan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
The Impossible Buck

Several years ago, there was a big clearcut in the DCNF. Right in the middle of it was the intersection of two streams and a marshy spot about 5 acres that was too wet for the bulldozer when they pushed it. Now the tree tops in that spot over grew with black berry briars and made an impossible mess. There was a sandy road n one side and every morning there would be tracks from two big bucks headed in. Right after dark there would be tracks crossing headed out.

There was no doubt those two bucks were laid up in there so I started making a plan. Right on the edge was one big postoak that didn't get pushed. I sneaked in there and it was loaded with acorns. It had a bunch of low hanging branches on the thicket side and there was a scrape under every limb. I quietly hung a locon about 30ft high and spent the evening. Just as it was too dark to shot, he came out and started working scrapes under me. As soon as he left I got out with plans to be there at 5am the next morning. Sure enough, just before shooting light, he came back in. The mere I looked straight down at him, the bigger he looked!

That evening, Oct 15, he showed just a bit earlier. He was working a scrape almost directly under me but facing me. No problem, I would just shoot him between the shoulders. As I drew, he heard something and looked straight up at me! Now I literally had to shot between hiss antlers to hit his ribcage. I let fly and heard the smack before he wheeled and left. When I climed down, my arrow was sticking in the ground at a crazy angle abut a foot behing where the deers back legs were. There was bright blood but mostly fat on the arrow and only a couple drops down the trail. The more we looked the bigger that deer was in my mind!

Both sets of tracks continued to cross daily and My BIL and I decided we were going to kill those deer with a rifle. I told Sam to walk around to the back and I would bust it wide open. He HAD to get a shot. Well I was standing in a freshly bulldozed clearcut watching Sam walk to his position. Just as he got to the corner, I saw a buck come out the front side and head straight for me. Sam was directly in the line of fire walking the other direction so I just froze. When the deer got about 40yds from me , he saw me. At this point, he did the LAST thing I would have expected. HE LAID DOWN!!!!! There was an old oak log laying there that couldn't have been more than 18 inches tall and he hit the ground right behind it. I side stepped a few yards, flipped the safety and started walking up on the log. Im talking clean white sand and about 10ft of log was all that was out there.

I was wanting to yell "PULL" when I got 10yds and still couldn't see hair. He finally jumped up and I shot him as soon as his spine cleared the log. I don't think I even looked through the scope. The crazy thing was, he had turned completely around and was headed the opposite direction from when he lay down. Sam Started walking back my way and asked what I shot for. He was flabbergasted to see that buck laying out in the bald open like that. He asked if it was the monster I shot with my bow and I told him it was a nice deer but definitely not the monster I had shot in Oct. When we turned him over, The Brodhead scar was obvious. I had hit him exactly between the shoulders on the tall fins above the spine. The arrow deflected down his back strap and exited the top of his ham. It even cut through a couple of ribs. One month to the day later and he was mostly healed up. Not quite the giant I had been describing. 120ish 6year old 8pt.
There is a little more to this story as we came back for the other buck. Ill tell it later.

This was my favorite so far.

2014 Thread of the year.

Keep them coming and thanks for sharing.
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #127
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

As always, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories keep em coming!
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #128
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
The Impossible Buck

I like them all, but I REALLY like this one! Hell, tell it again Steve lol
Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #129
Bumpy
Ten Point

Thread makes me want to start hand Corning ASAP.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #130
bigmike585
Ten Point

Good reading material here.

Appreciate the thread.
bigmike585 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #131
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
That sounds like a gold mine! I would make a 50 acre sanctuary in the woods. I would fence ground For food plts with hog wire. Every deer I mentioned were either on DCNF or property immediately adjoining it.
The entire wma is a sanctuary. We hope to plant enough this year to draw the big deer out. Can't fence it due to floods. It will make your fence disappear
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #132
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county

These are awesome stories. I thank you sir for educating a young/ new east texas hunter. I just moved here a year ago. All I have ever know was west texas hunting. I really do appreciate you spilling knowledge to everyone.
Pineywoodkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #133
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Impossible Buck continued.

Now that I had killed the smaller of the two, we decided all it would take to kill the other was to totally surround the thicket and send three drivers through it. We took 11 standers and me and two more drivers down there. Sure enough, there were his super fresh tracks going in. WE got everyone in place and started in. About half way(it was only 200yds deep) a deer jumped up within feet of me. I yelled here he comes and started shooting a pistol into the ground. We HAD HIM! As I got closer to the edge, no one had shot and my other two drivers were closing in. I was trying to figure how he got out of there without being shot and was talking to the stander 15yds away when he jumped up again between us. He jumped the creek and I shot three shots into the ground again to make sure he came out. NOTHING!

I took a few steps to my left where he jumped the creek and the dang deer had laid down in a three ft deep little creek! He bolted past me at feet but I wouldn't shoot for safety reasons. Now this thicket was BAD! I was bleeding all over from the briars and my other drivers were finished. We swapped them out for two of the others and regrouped. Same game. I think every driver had contact with that deer but he wouldnt come out. We did it five times and eventually left that sucker in there.

I promise you, if it had been dry enough, I would have set that thicket on fire!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #134
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

The impossible buck reminds me of when I hunted between Del Rio and Rock springs. One of our stands was on a high ridge and you could see about 2 miles across a valley that the neighbors day hunted. There were some monster bucks that hung out in that mesquite flat with does and every time the jeep would cruise down the lease roads the bucks would lay down the does would run and the hunters would pop shots at the does. When the jeep left the bucks would get back up and go about their normal routine. Watched them do this for years and never seen anyone kill any of the deer in that flat.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #135
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Missing the easy ones

I had a lock on in a huge white oak for many years(probably still there) and the chain grew into the tree so I couldn't take it down. The tree was in the fence line of a major highway right of way but across the fence was 300 or so acres of bad stuff. I could literally watch trucks zoom by behind me while bucks ate in front of me. The spot was perfect in every way. the fence was so over grown that it couldn't be crossed even by a deer I that spot and the tree leaned across the fence so virtually all the acorns fell in the thicket. In the summer, I did minimal clearing under the tree on the thicket side. Now this spot was magic as I could hand corn under the tree to supplement the acorns. I could easily get in and out because of the screen provided by the fence row and the truck noise covering any sound I made walking in. I had no fear of deer getting down wind either because of the road as a back drop. I arrowed a huge number of deer there but ill get to the story.

I was working overnights and had to be at work at 7pm but the evening was perfect with a fresh Norther blowing so I grabbed my bow, Put my coveralls on over my work clothes and headed out. Early in the afternoon, I saw a deer working in. To my surprise, he was a mature 8pt with both brows missing so I guess he was a six. He came in just like they always doo in their lair..without a care in the World. He walked right under me and started eating corn and acorns at about 6yds from the base of my tree and facing away. I was 25ft high and he was giving me every angle a guy could want. When he came in I stood up and got ready but I saw he was a 6, I sat back down. now I was watching him and started thinking that it was early enough that I could have him dressed before work as he was about 18 inside and clearly mature.

I heard a truck coming and easily drew as it roared past. He was totally relaxed quartering away at 6yds. It doesn't get easier so I dropped the pin to the left side of his spine and let it go. Weird noise and I almost dropped my bow. If it hadn't been for the wrist strap it would have fallen. The deer jumped and then looked back. He stopped behind some branches and just stood there. I stood up and looked but I couldn't see any blood on him. he started to come back to the corn but eventually thought better of it and walked away. I looked down and saw my arrow about 2 feet infront of where his head was. that would have meant I missed my point of aim by at least 6ft at 6 yds!!!!!

I drew my bow several times and it was fine. I got an arrow and shot a leaf on the ground...drilled it. I sat back down and replayed the events. that's when I saw it. big muscadine vine right below my stand with a shiny barkless spot on it. The stand was set up for a standing shot. When I drew I had to lean over and drop the bow way down to shoot that close. The bottom cam must have been right against that vine and when I shot, that is what almost kicked the bow out of my hand. Its bowhunting...I already had him cleaned and on ice!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #136
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Double Drop Surprise. A few years ago, I had a fellow that I somewhat owed a favor ask me if I would help him put his wife on a deer. Anything legal would do. He said she was a great shot and would hunt hard. I really figured he was just using his wife to get me to put him on one but I played along. I agreed and invited them between Christmas and new years. Late season is one of the best time to hunt pressured deer in those thickets. I had a ground blind in one of my good spots that I hadn't hunted all year and I corned it up for her and I put him in another spot....where he could see a long way and watch does LOL.

I had to work But marked a trail and got them set up for the next day. They agreed that if they shot anything in the evening that they would just come back to my house and wait o me as they didn't know the woods. When I got home just at dark, they were there. She said she had shot at a buck but should have waited longer. She said she saw a bachelor group coming through the brush and the first one in was legal width so she shot him at 30yds. She had a shooting stick and was positive the scope was perfect. She said he looked like a 6pt and a HUGE deer was right behind him but she didn't know it until she shot. Her husband said he looked but didn't see any sign of a hit.

We ate supper and she kept saying she was sure of the shot so I got my light and said we were going back. Her man kept saying he was sure she missed. As I walked in she showed me where the deer came out and where he was standing. her husband headed over there ahead of me recklessly stomping through. I not so politely asked him to stop right where he was. I took about three steps and there was Hair, bone , and lungs blown on the ground that he had just walked past. Easy 40yd trail and I saw a white belly. He had driven his right antler into the ground but the left one looked pretty good! I walked up and picked that 6pts head up.... He was a 6pt all right! 6 on his left not counting the 5 inch drop tine and 5 on his right not counting the matching drop!

She and I had a pretty good celebration over her 6pt being a typical 11pt with double drops!!!!!! Oddly, her husband didn't seem all that well pleased when she said hers would be the largest one on their wall!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #137
jooger17
Pope & Young

I cringed reading the part where that water head walked ahead of you lol.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #138
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I cringed reading the part where that water head walked ahead of you lol.
Yeah....Remember he had already determined she missed before they came back to my house.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #139
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Wow... Awesome stories! Keep em coming! Can I come spend a couple hours picking your brain? I could probably learn a TON from you!
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #140
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

Gar Guy u may have changed the way I hunt not sure I could keep up the pace u do but there is a massive 8 caught on camera coming and going out of some of the thickest stuff u can think of. I though it was to thick to go into but maybe not. Crawling into that stuff, I always worried about the snakes I might come across. like the stories
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #141
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

great thread
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #142
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom II View Post
you SHO right about that
Jesus is Coming is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #143
setx bowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin Co.

Awesome thread!
setx bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #144
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.

Last edited by GarGuy; 08-10-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #145
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer farmer View Post
Gar Guy u may have changed the way I hunt not sure I could keep up the pace u do but there is a massive 8 caught on camera coming and going out of some of the thickest stuff u can think of. I though it was to thick to go into but maybe not. Crawling into that stuff, I always worried about the snakes I might come across. like the stories
Don't go in. Get right on the down wind edge.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #146
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:
Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.
This is cool!
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #147
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

Good cause I did not want to go in his mass is really big. only pictures going in at dark or coming out at dark
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #148
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any chance that boys first name might have been Cody from over around Apple Springs?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #149
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any chance that boys first name might have been Cody from over around Apple Springs?
That might be it. He was from over that way.

Edit...The more I think about it the more Cody sounds right.

Last edited by GarGuy; 08-10-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #150
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
That might be it. He was from over that way.

Edit...The more I think about it the more Cody sounds right.
The Cody Pyle I know is dark headed. Don't know much about what he looked like as a 6 year old kid.

If it's the same guy, he lives in New Mexico now and has a very successful oil field construction company. Started out with a dozer contracting out, now he builds locations and lease roads. He worked for my dad for a little while. Dang good hand to hear dad tell it.