Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #51
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Great tales, well told, Garguy. Thanks for sharing. Was hoping that we'd get the story of that beast in your avatar.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #52
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

I'll back in the DCNF this year. We had some good hunts last year. GarGuy, you'll have to let me buy you lunch at the cafe.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #53
q2xlman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lease in Frio county and anywhere I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yep I have pics but they are Kodiak instamatic.
Very good information and story!

As far as the pictures, take a picture of a picture.....
q2xlman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #54
Russ
Pope & Young

I wish we could feed at the public land where I hunt! I'd make a trip there twice a week!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #55
Matador
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge
I think this most every time I open up a garguy thread. Good read sir
Matador is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #56
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Ol Runner

There was a big wide 10 point with split brows that I hunted hard. His core area was a big weed field and he holed up in there every day. I started hunting him at 5.5 and sneaked around that field every way I could figure. I saw him a couple of times during season three years in a row but every time, he had me busted and was running straight away thus the name.

When he was either 9 or ten, I had hunted him all season again. this was the fifth year I had hunted this particular deer and figured he was 5.5 when I started. One rainy day in December, I decided to take my climbing stand and circle all the way around instead of coming in from the road. there was a skinny pine n the edge that I figured I could climb. I got there and climbed about 30ft up and pulled my gun up with me. I made a swing across the field with my binos and something white caught my attention. It was his throat patch. he was laying in the weeds about 100yds out looking directly at me. I eased the gun up and shot him right at the base of his skull. I would guess that he didn't want to give up his dry spot because he certainly had me pegged again. He was just a shadow of what he had been but I mounted him anyway! He had dropped back to a 9pt typical with only one split brow. He was still 20.5 inside and heavy though.

One more thing....When the gun went off a giant deer jumped up that I didn't know was there. HUGE 8pt with his right ear almost ripped off. I only had one tag left and ol Runner was down. The next year ..Nov 16th I killed that 8pt and he scored 154.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Ol Freaky

The place I lived at the time bordered National forest and they cut a huge clearcut behind my house and right up to my yard. The next summer there was a crazy bachelor group in that clearcut with 13 mature bucks. In late August, I invited a friend and we went back there to watch for them. They came in and one of them had crazy mass and appeared to be shedding velvet already. there were strips hanging off his massive rack everywhere. I watched him every day for the next couple of weeks and it soon became obvious that it wasn't strips of velvet but velvet covered drop tines! Seven of them! When the group was polished, they split up and he was gone.
I didn't see him again until Nov 29th. I was bowhunting behind a big green field less than a mile away from home. I walked up to an offset in the field and there he was eating wheat at 10am! Now he was on private property that belonged to an elderly fellow that had a terrible reputation for being a hermit and mean. That evening, I got my nerve up, grabbed a few packs of back strap and some of Moms jelly before heading to his house. I nocked on the door and he answered gruffly that he was coming. HUGE MAN! He asked what I wanted in no friendly way. I told him I was his neighbor down the road that had just moved there the year before and he invited me in. I gave him the jelly and asked if he liked deer meat before handing him the sliced backstrap.

Man his eyes lit up! Yes he did but hadn't had any in years because of a badly broken ankle that never healed well. Now that brought me to the subject of hunting his property. I told him he would never run out of deer meat if he let me hunt that green field behind his house. Now he thought a minute and said he didn't think there were any deer coming in there. I assured him they were but were using the lay of the land to stay out of sight. No problem!

I didn't have another day off until four days later on Dec 2nd. I walked in down the bottom of a creek and climbed a big sweetgum that gave me a view of the small pocket. Deer poured in. Three bucks and several does. Then another huge doe. All the other deer gave her room. heck even a nice 8pt gave her space. Biggest doe I have ever seen! She was 40yds and facing me when I took another look. I almost fainted. Two big bloody spots on her head! I stopped by the old mans house on the way out and told him what I saw. He said, Oh yeah, I found a big ol ugly horn out there this morning. It was his right side. 8 inch bases and 17 scoreable points. Ill shorten he rest of the story but a cousin found the other side and had them mounted. Scored 220 without spread.

I never saw him again. If he had kept his antlers one more day.....He was ancient and probably running out of gas. Shed Dec 2nd 1984.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #58
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Again, thanks for sharing these stories.

Sometimes all you gotta do is ask, and sometimes you need to take off work a day earlier!!!

Thanks again..
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #59
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I wish we could feed at the public land where I hunt! I'd make a trip there twice a week!
We cant feed DCNF anymore. If you can find a couple acres of private that border your thicket, it would be a golden spot.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #60
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
i generally dont have a lot to say, (here at least) but i opened this thread hoping it was a garguy thread. sir i would love to have a cold one and just listen to your stories. it seems you, not the dos equis man, are the most interesting man in the world... haha full of east tx knowledge
Quote:
You have no idea how true this statement is.

Steve and I met about 12 or so years ago at a skeet shoot. He had just started the GarGuy's videos and told me how to get one. He started calling us boys the 870 club poking innocent fun at our cheap shotguns.

Later I recognized the deer in his avatar here and shot him a PM saying I could tell him where he killed that deer and what season it was because I had been hunting him. We struck up PM conversations and later we exchanged numbers because he lives not terribly far from where my current lease is. I work 14/14 and my wife was hunting a lot while I was gone. Steve offered to help if she needed it.

Since then, more accurately over the past year, Steve and I have become good friends. He helped me trail up a fine E. Tx deer this year, and I did the same for him a few times. We've fished together, and recently dug up some arrowheads together.

To say Steve and his dad are interesting people would be a VAST understatement. He's without question one of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of shaking hands with. I have a level of respect for him that I can't really explain. Stories like the one told here will go on for days and days on end in his company.

Sometimes he'd tell one and you'll think, "that deer wasn't that big" or "I'm sure it didn't happen exactly like that" and then he'll produce pictures, video, or eye witness! Now, he could tell me he rode a unicorn and threw the head rope on a black panther while his dad caught the heels riding Bigfoot and I wouldn't question the story.

A finer friend I've never had, and a more interesting man I've never met.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #61
Stick-Launcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Thats why I'm here. I want to learn from some of the greats...

I've heard of spraying vanilla on corn but what kind? You also use it for cover scent?
Stick-Launcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #62
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Ol Freaky

The place I lived at the time bordered National forest and they cut a huge clearcut behind my house and right up to my yard. The next summer there was a crazy bachelor group in that clearcut with 13 mature bucks. In late August, I invited a friend and we went back there to watch for them. They came in and one of them had crazy mass and appeared to be shedding velvet already. there were strips hanging off his massive rack everywhere. I watched him every day for the next couple of weeks and it soon became obvious that it wasn't strips of velvet but velvet covered drop tines! Seven of them! When the group was polished, they split up and he was gone.

I didn't see him again until Nov 29th. I was bowhunting behind a big green field less than a mile away from home. I walked up to an offset in the field and there he was eating wheat at 10am! Now he was on private property that belonged to an elderly fellow that had a terrible reputation for being a hermit and mean. That evening, I got my nerve up, grabbed a few packs of back strap and some of Moms jelly before heading to his house. I nocked on the door and he answered gruffly that he was coming. HUGE MAN! He asked what I wanted in no friendly way. I told him I was his neighbor down the road that had just moved there the year before and he invited me in. I gave him the jelly and asked if he liked deer meat before handing him the sliced backstrap.

Man his eyes lit up! Yes he did but hadn't had any in years because of a badly broken ankle that never healed well. Now that brought me to the subject of hunting his property. I told him he would never run out of deer meat if he let me hunt that green field behind his house. Now he thought a minute and said he didn't think there were any deer coming in there. I assured him they were but were using the lay of the land to stay out of sight. No problem!

I didn't have another day off until four days later on Dec 2nd. I walked in down the bottom of a creek and climbed a big sweetgum that gave me a view of the small pocket. Deer poured in. Three bucks and several does. Then another huge doe. All the other deer gave her room. heck even a nice 8pt gave her space. Biggest doe I have ever seen! She was 40yds and facing me when I took another look. I almost fainted. Two big bloody spots on her head! I stopped by the old mans house on the way out and told him what I saw. He said, Oh yeah, I found a big ol ugly horn out there this morning. It was his right side. 8 inch bases and 17 scoreable points. Ill shorten he rest of the story but a cousin found the other side and had them mounted. Scored 220 without spread.

I never saw him again. If he had kept his antlers one more day.....He was ancient and probably running out of gas. Shed Dec 2nd 1984.
^^^ This deer's sheds with several of the drops broken.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #63
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Just got around to reading this and it reminded me of why I joined this group in the first place.
Thanks,
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #64
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Man, GarGuy these are great! Please continue.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #65
Devin
Administrator

Great reads, Steve.

Keep 'em coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #66
ABroussard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Nice reads! Thanks for sharing sir!
ABroussard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #67
gusman
Ten Point

Hunt In: /east texas

Good stuff and awesome read. .
gusman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #68
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Dang Jooger, don't pump me up too much. Im on a roll! Amazingly, the pic Jooger posted actually IS the freak I told yall about. Its a picture of a picture taken from below the mount and no where near does him justice.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #69
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Lucky 8

I had a spot rigged up fro dad(I do that a lot) and he was rifle hunting but I wanted to bow hunt. I looked like a cinch and I needed to stay close so I went with him and carried my bow. I was sitting at the truck listening for him to shoot when I remembered a whiteoak plot on a deep creek about 1.5 miles in the back of the property adjoining a terrible thicket. The wind was perfect for an approach and I decided to go check it out. I walked in and when I got close, I could smell bucks and hear acorns whacking the ground. I eased up too the first big whiteoak and saw two fresh rubs under it and the leaves all kicked up. To my left was a giant pine that was blown down by hurricane Ike and it had a big clay rootball.
I tucked in on the log with little cover but five minutes later I had a young buck sniffing for acorns. He crossed the deep creek and gave me a chance to breath when he got abut 40yds . Not for long. the mosquitoes were absolutely killing me. I hadn't come prepared to hunt and had nothing but a thin shirt on. About the time I couldn't stand it anymore, here comes five does. Ten yards and I cant move. I see movement to my right and there is a pretty nice deer working a scrape 20yds away but I cant even turn my head to look at him. He made the does nervous and they fed over to the next tree. The buck turned and walked back the way he came ..giving me the walking away shivers. Man he looked BIG!

I seized that opportunity to wipe a bunch of blood gorged skeeters off my arms and back. before hearing a deer coming at a fast crunch from the direction the big deer just went. I got turned and ready. He was a nice 6.5yr old 8pt but really not as big as I thought when he walked away. He was on a mission and I had watched the other deer go behind that big whiteoak before crossing the creek. He was right in step. When his head went behind the tree, I drew and his ribcage came out just as I was solid at anchor. I touched the release and heard the smack of a Muzzy striking home. He bolted forward and into the creek but didn't come out. I sat there a few seconds and then eased over to the creek bank. He was standing right in the bottom wobbeling side to side so I sent another straight down. He let out a snort unlike any I have ever heard a deer make before collapsing.

I slid down the bank and into the stream bed with him 20ft deep. He was about 125 but man he was a warhorse of a deer. I tried getting him up the bank and got about half way before both of us slid back to the bottom! Exhausted, I was standing there panting when I heard the same type snort/bellow I had heard earlier. I looked straight up and there was the BIG buck looking down at me from the top bank. My bow was laying about 6ft from him also on the top bank! He stood there and gave me the evil eye for a few seconds and then just stiff legged back out of sight. All I can figure is he heard my wounded deer bellow and us sliding down the bank and thought it was a buck fight in the creek.

I had to get help on that one. I like hunting closer to the road!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #70
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Silly Friend

A few years ago I had a friend from out of town show up for Thanksgiving. He was a hunter but didn't consider bringing hunting gear. Well all the talk was deer hunting so he wanted to go. I had an idea where we might see a good buck and sneaked into a tree line on the edge of a big cutover. He had my rifle with a vx3 50mm Leupold on it and I didn't even have my binos. He was watching the open to my right while I was zoned in on the edge of that thicket. That magic time arrived when there is still shooting light but its getting dark fast. Friend was ready to go and I told him to give it a few more minutes.Suddenly he was just standing there 65 yds on the edge with his head up. His dang neck was massive and it looked like his antlers came out of his neck.

My heart jumped in my throat as I whispered for him to shoot the deer. Unnamed friend raised the scope up and said in a conversational tone," Hes not a shooter". Whaaaaa? I can see hes a monster with the naked eye! I whisper, "Hes a whopper, shoot him". Once again in conversational tone Friend says," Yeah he has a big body but not much in the way of horns".

He heard that and went full alert. I said lemme see! and took the rifle. As soon as he was in the scope, I had no doubt. I just dropped the crosshairs to his chest and touched her off free hand. When I recovered from the recoil, he was scooting on his chest and then fell over. 20 inches inside, 39 inches of mass, 15 points with three broken off. He started cursing my mother.....

Last edited by GarGuy; 08-05-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #71
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Funny thing about that big typical 12pt Jooger speaks of(Actually a typical 13 but broke a g2). I had pics of that deer the year before right in the heaviest pressure, in my sanctuary but no other times. A friend got hundreds of pics of him about 3 miles away and was after him hot and heavy. I didn't know it at the time but Jooger was after him too. My friend and his family literally hunted him every day during Oct. He stopped getting pics and I told him that deer was about to show up in my secret sanctuary. He said call him if I started getting pics. 7 days later, I called him and let him take some pics on my tail gate.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #72
Str8 arrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens, Van Zandt, and Camp counties

Great stories
Str8 arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #73
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
Thats why I'm here. I want to learn from some of the greats...

I've heard of spraying vanilla on corn but what kind? You also use it for cover scent?
Any kind. Mix it rich. Great cover scent for covering where you walk to hand corn when sprayed on boots. No substitute for having the wind right though.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #74
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Since Jooger said all those nice things about me I guess I should apologize.....sorry steve..
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #75
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Heres one from this past season. Some of you know I have been hard after a giant 8pt I named CrippleHorn a few years ago. he is 7.5 this year (at least) and I believe he will score in the 150s as an 8pt. For the last two years he has been the most killable buck on my place yet this year have had heck getting an arrow in him. I have seen him numerous times and had him dead to rights at 20 yds one morning before it was light enough to be sure it was him. Of course when I checked the camera...it was. I have logged at least 100 hours on stand for him without a shot. I have put other folks on several of my other bucks including a really nice ten pt because I planned to hunt Cripple Horn.

Any way, Saturday evening I was sitting one of my stands overlooking a feeder and two long food plots with my 10yr old nephew holding a rifle. Just before dark, a big deer came in the food plot but Lil David wasn't comfortable shooting. I could tell it was a monster with great spread and height but couldn't figure out what deer he was. I could have shot him with the rifle but opted to sneak out and try again before church Sunday morning. About an hour after daylight Sunday, I looked out the side window to see a GIANT typical walking across the road. We scrambled to get on him but we were a second late. He was really wide and had a wall of tall tines. I don't have a single picture of this deer but I knew my neighbor did. I went visiting and sure enough...it was him.

After the hunt, I went and looked at the trail he traveled. it was well worn and lined with horn rubs as far as the eye could see. It was also the trail that old Cripple Horn had used when visiting another stand hundreds of yards away. It was a straight shot. Now this trail is a big buck dream. He avoided all three feeders yet had visual from 200yds away on each as well as the ends of the food plots. A quick look around revealed a setup from Heaven. A small clump of pines with branches to the ground and a well pump behind it to assure they wouldn't get behind me. I grabbed the only tent blind I had at home and set it up with amazing cover and a 30yd shot to where he was coming out of my sanctuary thicket as well as the trail continuing 8yds in front of the stand. With a North wind I could come in from the pump jack and have sound coverage as well as being totally out of sight. It was perfect! Monday I put out 50 lb of corn and got out. Yesterday it was all gone with new rubs all around so I put out another bag. I knew the Norther was coming and I could hardly sit still. I checked it this morning and it was cleaned up again. I corned her up and as soon as the wind switched, I was in.

Now the reason that tent blind was at home was because it was too short for me to draw my bow from so I picked up my brand new 10pt crossbow. It shoots unbelievably well. As the evening wore on I was covered in does eating corn. Finally, they just walked calmly away. A few second later caught a glimps of a deer to my left. It was a stud of an 8pt that is on the target list. 6.5 years old ,18 inches inside, long tines and sweeping beams. He walked down the trail 8yds from me and right to the corn. Now I really didn't want to put my tag on this deer and was argueing with myself about passing a deer like this. I finally decided if he started to leave of it got late, I would shoot him. Little did I know that was the least of my worries...

About 10 minutes of pure pleasure watching him and he looks past my stand, cowers a little and walks to the far edge of the corn. HA! Im on the edge of my seat when I hear a gentle burp,burp burp, coming down the trail. Here Ol Cripple Horn came! Over 100 hours this year for this moment and he looks bigger than I thought! He is 8yds broadside, looking at the other buck. safety is off, crosshairs low behind shoulder, squeeze....squeeze......squeeze..... the trigger comes all the way back without firing. He steps forward a few yards and now in my next window. I jiggle the safety, aim squeeze, limp trigger! He takes charge of a corn pile at 20yd and Is hogging it down while the big 8pt begs permission to eat which he grants. All the while Im doing everything in my power to get the crossbow working.

This goes on for about 10 more minutes when both bucks look toward the sanctuary. Ol Cripple Horn turns that direction and starts back eating. The other big 8 circles nervously. Then I see him coming. The giant typical from Sunday. He walks right out and nods at CH who barely notices and then takes over the other corn pile out my right window. He is a typical 6x6 with at least one g3 forking just above the beam. Probably 21 inside. Beams past his nose and then curl in and up. Looks like he is 180s even if I subtract 10 inches for adrenaline!

Broadside at 20yds, I decide to try again. Surely if I pull hard enough it will shoot. WRONG! This goes on with all three shooters there until it was black dark and the corn crunching continues. I text my wife and asked her to drive over there and run the deer off. 30 minutes later she hasn't shown up so I peek at my phone and see it says," Message failed". I make another feeble attempt at sending the text and when the phone lights up, those bucks left there sounding like they ripped half the brush down in my sanctuary.

Perfect ending to this hunt I guess. So much for the absolute best setup a guy could ever find. Its a dang good thing I don't drink right now!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #76
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

DUDE! Ya killin me.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #77
Stuck
Ten Point

OK I'll ask. Why didn't the crossbow fire? Bolt not seated?
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #78
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Best thread I've read in a while
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #79
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I've been throwing corn out behind my house and my bow lease down the road already. Looks like we will be talking a lot of deer hunting over the next few days while slinging dirt. Keep em coming!
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #80
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Dad Whacks An East Tx Monster!

What a morning! Dad and I got in early this morning and had several deer come by day break. We had a bunch of does at 20yds when they all threw their heads up and looked the way the two monsters had been coming. I had to lean way over to look but dad could see that direction well. I could make out three BIG deer coming.

Dad got his binos up and said,"ITS HIM!". Dad got his 280 Remington and put it on his shooting stick but Dad had on so many layers of clothes that he couldn't shoulder his gun! LOL. Did I mention it was cold this morning? I moved the gun back and we quietly unzipped his heavy coat. In the meantime, The big typical framed ten had sprinted to the corn at 20yds and pushed the does out. We carefully got the gun back in position on the inside of his coat and got him turned slightly to his right. Now there are a 6 deer at 20yds and I was a wreck.

Gun in position and deer quartering to us, I told him to shoot! That's when I noticed he wasn't even looking at the giant but had the scope on that old freak 8pt that I posted a picture of on another thread. The 8pt was back in the brush and I told dad to shoot that deer right now! He said that other deer is coming in! " I don't care! Shoot that deer!" He did! At the crack of the rifle the giant took a nose dive.

He is a main frame ten with four scorable kickers. Longest beam was 25 2/8. G2s both over 12 inches. Two mass measurements over 8 inches. I rough scored him at 176 4/8 but I think I cheated him a few inches on some of the judgement call measurements. I will score him again when the antlers are off the deer. Congrats DAD on your biggest buck to date!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #81
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
OK I'll ask. Why didn't the crossbow fire? Bolt not seated?
Cocked with the safety on and the anti dryfire was holding the string. Operator rookie mistake.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #82
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Any kind. Mix it rich. Great cover scent for covering where you walk to hand corn when sprayed on boots. No substitute for having the wind right though.
I have a tailgate feeder on my Polaris Ranger. Everytime I go to the lease I have certain areas that I corn before I leave. Especially the clear cut trails. I always pour a small bottle of vanilla in my feeder before I corn the trails to get them used to it. They evidently have become accustomed to it. Seems they expect it!
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #83
GarGuy
Pope & Young

The death of Cripple horn

Guys I have had a fun season and stuck to archery only all the way through. Yesterday, I filled my last tag with a 6.5 year old 8 pt that scored 153 7/8.

I know many of you pass bucks bigger than that on a daily basis but a free ranging deer that size in East Tx with archery gear is a challenge to me. For the past 7 years, I have committed to hunting a deer over 150 and all but two years have succeeded. I was thinking it wouldn't happen this year with making mistakes early on and then my number one deer getting killed by a neighbor.

Anyway, I had a huge 8 pt that Summered on one of my places but spent much of the rut a couple miles away in another county. Every year when the rut ended he would come home. I kept adding him up and getting low 50s but almost hated to hope he was that big but each time I saw him live, he was just stunning. I was pleased to start getting sporatic pics of him on his home turf a couple weeks ago in one of my sanctuaries. These spots have food plots and feeders but I have put off limits through out the season.Last Friday and Saturday, I got over 500 pics of him in my hand corn pile with a bachelor group of other nice deer and I knew he was home to stay so I started putting a plan together.

Yesterday evening the wind was perfect and I told my wife that this was the day. I could just feel it. I got in my ground blind in the sanctuary and was covered up in deer early. I had 13 does and one small buck in the corn and plot when I looked up and saw three bucks come in the food plot about 300yds out. One looked BIG!. About that time I looked out my left window and saw three bucks coming from the opposite direction and they looked big. I grabbed my binos and saw several nice bucks I recognized but not Ol Big. One deer was behind the rest and when he raised his head up , even at 300 yds there was no doubt and he headed toward my hand corn at 20-25yds. The other three bucks got to the corn pile and chased the does out before commencing to try to devour all 100lbs of corn! I knew Ol Big couldn't stand that and sure enough he was at 100yds and closing when 4 dang coyotes broke out into the food plot. Deer vanished in every direction! I was sick.

I probably had 20 minutes of shooting light left when deer started filing back to the corn. I looked through the binoculars at them and saw a deer come out way back at the end. He raised his head up and even in the low light the light colored mass on his head was obvious. This time he was alone and coming at a very fast walk. He never paused as he closed the 300yds to the hand corn.

23yds...turned broadside..pin perfect...WHACK! He blew out and I was just sitting there wondering if that really happened. I sat a few minutes and tried to settle my nerves before sneaking out to peek at the arrow. it was stuck in the ground behind where he was standing and the fletching was bright red. I picked it up and stuck it in the ground , then sneaked out and headed home figuring I would give him an hour. I was sitting on the couch talking to dad and was about to head back when I wiped my nose with my left hand and it STUNK! Oh GOD I know the smell of guts! Now I got physically ill! I called my BIL who has been on many blood trails with me and he said he was in Bryan but headed home. That's 2 hours. It was all I could do to say I would wait on him but I knew it was the right thing to do.

We got out there about 830pm and sure enough there was paunch contents that the arrow carried through even though there was bright blood on the fletching. We worked the trail I saw him enter on and had gone about 40yds when I found the first blood. Pink lung blood and I was excited. A few yards further and some nose blown blood with a sliver of lung tissue in it. Then the blood just quit. tiny flecks on hands and knees with smears on weeds. I called BBoswell shortly after smelling guts and now I was really considering pulling out till morning and bringing in the dog. We knew we weren't pushing the deer though and figured we would trail until we found his first bed. We spent 2 hours working 250yds when I saw a spot he had stopped and bled pretty good out both sides. He made a turn there and I back tracked a little in order to see which way he might have headed. I shined my light down the tunnel and said he could have gone through there. 5 yards away was a big old set of antlers sticking up out of the brush connected to a stone dead OL Big!! The whooping began!

Its been a long season but tag number five is on Ol Big! He is a clean 8pt with 35 plus inches of mass. 153 7/8
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #84
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Steve's dads East Texas brute...183 4/8's respectively.

Ol Cripple Horn 153 7/8's....big 8's just set me off.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #85
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Thanks for sharing garguy, I enjoyed the stories.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #86
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Wow! Always enjoy your thread but this one will get a man ready for deer season. Question I am firm believer in hand corn as well but it seems anymore the hogs find it as fast and turns into a hog spot and I loose interest. Do you think it effects the spot as much as I do or do you continue to hunt it? Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of baiting west Texas like I would like but it's usually a 50 or so before I leave on Sunday.
Once again love the reads.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #87
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
Thanks for sharing garguy, I enjoyed the stories.
I could do this for weeks. I am enjoying reliving a few of them.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #88
Clay243
Eight Point

Hunt In: Normangee, Troup

Garguy do you feed protien in your sanctuarys?
Clay243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #89
GarGuy
Pope & Young

OL Double Shot

Several years ago, a friend was at the house that builds custom guns. He was building a 22-250 and had just finished the bedding. We took it to the range and it was a one holer with his favorite load behind a sierra sp bt bullet. Man it was fun to shoot. Well that afternoon it was time to get in the thickets. He brought that 22-250 to me and said I should christen it for him. Reluctantly, I took it. I was sitting a ladder stand in..you guessed it...a bad thicket with American beauty berry waist high and three big postoaks on a little ridge 50yds away.
About 30 minutes before dark, I caught a glimpse of antlers. He raised his head again and man what a beautiful buck! Big mature 5.5 year old ten with long brows that looked 150ish. Now all I could see was the top line of his back and his neck. He had a beautiful double throat patch and I didn't want to ruin it so I looked for an opening to his ribcage. I found it and touched it off. He fell like a sack of taters. I just sat there as my friend was close and I knew he would have heard the shot. He got there right at dark and we walked over to the little ridge and he WASNT THERE! There was blood, meat, hair, and bone but the deer had drug himself down the back side of the hill. Easy trail as he was literally dragging is body. Then it ended. I spent four days looking for him. I knew for a fact that I had shot him high in the shoulder and was sick for weeks about him crawling off to die.

Two years later I was hunting with the same friend in another thicket a couple miles away. Just before dark a stud of a buck came crashing in and ran the rest of my deer out. Huge 10pt and a no brainer shooter so I rolled him up. When we rolled him over, he had a giant scar on his shoulder and a bunch of it was missing. Even a bunch of backstrap was gone and a hollow across his spine. Mt friend commented that he must have been hit by a truck. I agreed. I got him home and started caping him out since he had such a beautiful double throat patch cape and saw bullet fragments. I told my friend that the deer had been shot there with a small, high velocity bullet that had totally failed. He was the first to think of it...could that be the deer you shot two years ago? Nah...that was two miles away... I rolled his one good backstrap out and there was the jacket of the bullet. Nice little Seirra sp boat tail!

He was now 7.5 and scored 157 as a typical ten with 2 fliers off his G2s.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #90
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay243 View Post
Garguy do you feed protien in your sanctuarys?
No but I plant clover, wheat, rye, and honeysuckle.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #91
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

These were great. Thanks GarGuy
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #92
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
A few of Garguy's East Texas low fence deer.

We gots lots of stories to go boys!
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #93
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Great stories!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #94
txhoghunter2
Six Point

Hunt In: Northeast TX

Ever see the huge typical deer again?
txhoghunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #95
hopco.boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Wood Co., Rains Co.

Quote:
Daybreak on opening morning of gun season found me sitting in a homemade tent blind looking down a ten ft wide shooting lane that ended under a big whiteoak 50 yds away. I could see a little corn left from the 2 5 gallon buckets of corn I had poured out the evening before on the Davy Crockett national forest floor. The sound of an occational acorn falling transitioned to the sound of distant and not so distant gunshots. After all, I was hunting in the most highly pressured area of the DCNF intentionally. I was sitting only 35 yds inside the worst overgrown clearcut you can dream up with a small stream immediately in front of me and the only white oak for miles. I had cut this small opening in July when I realized there would be a whiteoak acorn crop.

The sounds of the wild became abundant as the morning progressed. An old log truck rattled past my hiding spot on the road 35yds behind me and truck doors slammed as hunters gave up early and headed for camp. A glimpse of antlers caught my attention at 852am. A decent 7pt walked boldly into the corn trail and started eating. Long before antler restrictions, this was a very legal deer yet I knew my hunt was just starting. He threw his head up and stared behind me and to my left. Shortly I could hear boots walking on the paved road and hunters talking as the walked past. The deer returned to eating.

By 945, the gunshots had ceased yet the road behind me had a steady stream of traffic. The 7pt bolted and in walked a nice 8pt followed by a small 6pt. Over the next 30 minutes 8 different bucks showed up to grab a bite of corn or acorns and established pecking orders with a bigger 8pt allowing most to eat. Suddenly every one of them looked North. The 8pts posture changed and he cowed down. I eased my rifle up and rolled the scope to 4 power just as a heavy horned 9pt walked in. 7 year old brute in the mid 140s and it didn't take me long to shoot him dead. 1032am and there was no way in heck I was going to be able to load this deer so I left him there and drove to a small store a few miles away where I knew hunters would be gathered and a big buck contest was going on.

There was a huge crowd there and maybe a dozen deer in the cooler. Almost all were does and 1.5 year old bucks. I walked up to a group of hunters and the entire conversation was about how poor the year was with only does at their feeders. The feeling was unanimous that the buck doe ratio was horrible. Now keep in mind that I had just seen 9 deer, all of which were buck and all but 3 were over 3 years old! I was going to ask for help but decided against it and went to get a friends help instead. I sure hated to show him that spot.

I have dozens of stories just like that one but told it because of the great thread about growing big deer but not being able to close the deal once they got smart and nocturnal. The truth is that heavily pressured and nocturnal deer are the EASIEST to pattern. If you can locate his core thicket, you can count on him being right there during shooting hours. This is what I was doing in the DCNF until they made it illegal to corn. Now I just do the same thing on thickets adjoining DCNF.

Getting in and out of these areas is another story but with the right setup, you can see that old nocturnal buck eating corn but not likely at your feeder.

Steve
Nice story. The store you describes reminds me of an old store that we used to eat breakfast at in Patroon. Hunters would gather and see if anything big had been put in the old ice cream truck cooler. Fond memories. We use to have 380 private acres right in the middle of the national forest down there.
hopco.boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #96
Bonesplitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty,Hardin,Uvalde, Leakey and Rebel's Honky Tonk

Awesome stories Steve! Thanks for sharing them with us. I am betting we could learn alot about these ole east Texas bruisers from you. And with good company like Johnny and Steve around I bet it would be a ball to sit around and chat with you boys!
Bonesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #97
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter2 View Post
Ever see the huge typical deer again?
Yep. That was Thursday. He was killed Saturday morning by a young lady.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #98
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

This thread has been a great read! Keep the stories coming.....
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #99
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Awesome stories!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #100
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Funny thing about that big typical 12pt Jooger speaks of(Actually a typical 13 but broke a g2). I had pics of that deer the year before right in the heaviest pressure, in my sanctuary but no other times. A friend got hundreds of pics of him about 3 miles away and was after him hot and heavy. I didn't know it at the time but Jooger was after him too. My friend and his family literally hunted him every day during Oct. He stopped getting pics and I told him that deer was about to show up in my secret sanctuary. He said call him if I started getting pics. 7 days later, I called him and let him take some pics on my tail gate.
I hunted him from daylight to dark every single day that I was off from Oct 5th to Dec 22nd. I work 14/14 so that is a lot of days! LOTS OF HOURS! I passed a giant 9pt 145ish at 20 yards on Halloween morning. I'd seen him on the 5th at 15 yards but it was too thick to shoot.

I lost 25lbs that year hunting that back! I'd get up at 4am, drive an hour. Sneak in about a 1/2mi. 1/2 of that I had to crawl because it was so thick! I'd have some bottled water and trail mix in my pack. I'd set til black dark and sneak back out, drive an hour home, drink 2 beers for supper, go to bed and do it again tomorrow. For 3 months! My mom thought I was on drugs because I looked so bad.

Maybe when Steve goes on to the white oak bottom in the sky he'll leave me those horns in his will lol! I've never hunted a deer so hard before or since. I learned more about E. Tx deer that year than I had in a lifetime of hunting there.