Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #51
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
I will give you every bit of knowledge I have about hunting that area. I was on a lease for two years just North of Rule that bordered the Brazos. How many acres are you on with how many people and also how much wheat do you have available to hunt?
Just under 300. To the West is is DD Whitetails and Outfitters massive high fenced operation. And east is town. If anything is moving north or south they pretty much have to cross our place. No wheat. we have cotton on the west pasture and hay on the east. Mesquite through the strip in the middle and almost always water.
Attached Images

tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #52
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

They do crops on the field to the north east some times. I've seen corn in it once.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #53
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Biggest with a bow... 115" 8pt

Biggest ever 142" 10pt with a rifle while I was 37 weeks pregnant...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #54
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Biggest with a bow... 115" 8pt

Biggest ever 142" 10pt with a rifle while I was 37 weeks pregnant...
Good thing it wasn't a high recoil rifle...might have had a sooner than expected hunting buddy!
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #55
ateague11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hare, TX

My biggest buck todate is my avatar pic shot last year with my bow
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #56
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
as was mentioned above, you have to hunt in a place big deer live and are managed. a lot of small tracts with heavy hunting pressure is not a recipe to grow big deer either.
This. I hunt old mature bucks. They are extremely rare in those areas
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #57
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Running a 140.5" avg on <300ac with double digits neighbors..with a few having stands & feeders right up against the fence and open fields to shoot across that butt up against the place. If "big" deer is the goal, you just can't go pulling the trigger to make your situation worse. There's no such thing as a cull, with age, that may be a sacrificial lamb that allows another deer to survive season. Does? Better try not to disperse them...ROI, as far as feed/plots in relation to # of deer shot - don't bother trying to figure that up. Last year, one bachelor group of 4 had dang near 500" of horn between 3 deer and a post mature, 150 in his prime 8pt, anchoring the group. Could've shot every single one of them as quality deer (for the area) at some point over the past few years (6yrs ago on the old one), but that's why you roll the dice to try to produce something special. 1 remains after last season....but that one could make everything worthwhile.
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #58
howabouttheiris
Eight Point

I have never killed a big one. My son has shot 1 deer ever, a public land buck bigger than anything I have ever taken.

I have shot a good number, but 90% of my deer hunting success is on a property where I am helping by taking cull deer. I shoot old does and 6 pt 3.5+ y/o trashy bucks.
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #59
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy123 View Post
I guess I'm spoiled hunting here in northern Missouri my whole life. Around my area if a deer makes it to three years old he's usually at 130 or more. But I've hunted in the Hill country around lampassas several times and I have seen maybe one buck that was close to 130. It doesn't make it any less fun to me though I just like deer hunting.
I will be hunting in Scotland county the week of Halloween, I've been the last 2 years and it's been crazy warm, hoping we get some cold weather this year.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #60
Shoreman
Eight Point

Hunt In: CO; KS; MD

Never killed a buck that scored over 120 ... have hit 2 that would have been wall hangers but lost them both. Haven't killed a buck since 2007 and hoping to break that this year in KS. To each his own on the antlers and score.
Shoreman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #61
Passthrough
Pope & Young

#1-Have to be hunting where big deer exist. If your hunting where big deer live and can never kill one....you need to rethink what your doing.
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #62
sbushee
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

This will be my 35th hunting season. Biggest to date is a 133" 10pt I got with my bow in 2012 in San Saba.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #63
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

When I first started up hunting in the 90s, I was on a lease in Jim Hogg county. Saw some big deer and passed on some that were probably 150ish. I didn't want to get kicked off the place for shooting immature deer cuz I was too green. I can't afford the place now and just hunt public mostly for meat.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #64
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I have killed mature deer, big deer and big mature deer...just their head gear is lacking, so to speak.
Sounds like mine. I'm finally on a lease that can can get some trophy racks. Been watching a three grow up for the last 3 years and giving them all the protein they want. Hope one comes this year! Last year at 4 1/2 they were hard to hold back on but luckily the ones that need culling came out first. By the time I saw the them all I had left we're doe tags.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #65
Native Texan
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Mature bucks under hunting pressure are an entirely different animal. They have had a few years to learn the game, and know how to be practically invisible to hunters using common tactics. Rarely will they visit feeders, especially in daylight hours, and usually when they do it's to check for does downwind. The best feeders to hunt are the ones Mother Nature provides...oaks dropping acorns. They have to eat, so put in long hours on the stand where they feed. You can also improve your odds by learning to read the tracks of certain bucks, and focusing your time hunting scrapes with those tracks. If you are hunting just morning and evening they learn your pattern quickly. Try hunting the middle of the day and you will be surprised by the deer you see. Don't get into a routine of hunting the same stand all the time...switch to different areas depending on wind and deer movement. Don't limit your stand locations to permanent ones...sometimes just a chair or stool in the brush will put you in the right position for a shot. Be as scent free as possible...wear knee high rubber boots and don't brush up against vegetation. Your best chance at a mature buck is the first time you hunt a stand...after that the odds go down as he catches on to your game plan. Scout for them during the off season so you will know their travel corridors when it's time to hunt. A mature pressured deer with a bow is one of the sports greatest challenges, but when you are successful you can truly be proud of your accomplishment.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #66
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County and Denton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
Just under 300. To the West is is DD Whitetails and Outfitters massive high fenced operation. And east is town. If anything is moving north or south they pretty much have to cross our place. No wheat. we have cotton on the west pasture and hay on the east. Mesquite through the strip in the middle and almost always water.
Where do you enter the property and also do y'all camp on this property?
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top