Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #101
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I still could with mature deer.... Not 150", but 120-130" 3-4 year old and older.

3-4 yo old "mature" deer?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #102
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
I love hunting the piney woods. I have been leasing our property for 7 years and always kill a deer or 2 every year. Always have a couple 130's and a 150 or two running around. Yes it is harder hunting, some people like it and some don't. There are no deer in East Texas
A friend of mime showed me a pic of that deer in the second picture.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #103
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
West Texas proud here for 10 years.

To me...a deer lease is about so much more than inches or lbs..... but West Texas has a nice amount of both. The entire experience is what I look for.

I like seeing deer... even if I don't trip my release all year on a "monster". I enjoy watching deer as much as I enjoy shooting them. I don't hunt to watch birds (turkeys are OK.) Seeing deer is fun ...killing several deer a year is even more fun..

I love the people out west. They are a friendly bunch and laid back as a whole. The egos are checked at the gate.

I like the large leases and low members counts. I like leases where the deer herd health/numbers are more important than keeping the cost of the lease fee down. 7 hunters on 2400 acres of oak and mesquite is so much enjoyable than 25 folks on 800 acres of pines with 10 white oak trees. Less folks equals less problems and more deer for everybody.

I love the dry heat.... I also love the dry crisp mornings during winter. I love the lack of mosquitos and bugs in general. Rats and mice are also rare at our place.

I like all my **** to be there when I arrive at the lease. I like being able to leave stuff at my lease and know it's going to be there when I drive up. Hauling back what I have at my lease each trip would be a major PITA. Replacing it all because some methhead stole it would be even more of a PITA.

I like not having pictures of poachers and hog doggers. I like not having my hunt ruined by the guy on his 5 acres next door practicing for World War 3.

I love the smell of burning mesquite and ribeyes searing over it.

I hate..... the drive. .. especially on Sunday.

I hate 105 deg workdays in the summer.

I hated the 2010-2011 drought

My loves and likes far outweigh my hates though....

Did I say I love seeing deer?
How often do you get to go and how long is your drive?
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #104
EastTx
Ten Point

If you can find a big lease in a proven county in East Tx with an existing management plan that uses age restrictions for buck harvest, I would choose East Tx. Check TBGA records and narrow it to a list of counties that consistently produce big deer then start your lease search. More than likely it will be a timber company lease that meets that criteria. If it's just a "deer lease" in East Tx and you have never hunted here, I have a feeling you will be disappointed for all the reasons listed. There are some good private "deer leases" here, but it would be hard to find one of those places going in blind. If you can't find a property that meets those qualifications in East Tx then I say go West.
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 AM   #105
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTx View Post
If you can find a big lease in a proven county in East Tx with an existing management plan that uses age restrictions for buck harvest, I would choose East Tx. Check TBGA records and narrow it to a list of counties that consistently produce big deer then start your lease search. More than likely it will be a timber company lease that meets that criteria. If it's just a "deer lease" in East Tx and you have never hunted here, I have a feeling you will be disappointed for all the reasons listed. There are some good private "deer leases" here, but it would be hard to find one of those places going in blind. If you can't find a property that meets those qualifications in East Tx then I say go West.

That's just about the best answer I've seen posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #106
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:

Great answer.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #107
BuckBass79
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

To me...a deer lease is about so much more than inches or lbs..... but West Texas has a nice amount of both. The entire experience is what I look for.

I like seeing deer... even if I don't trip my release all year on a "monster". I enjoy watching deer as much as I enjoy shooting them. I don't hunt to watch birds (turkeys are OK.) Seeing deer is fun ...killing several deer a year is even more fun..

I love the people out west. They are a friendly bunch and laid back as a whole. The egos are checked at the gate.

I like the large leases and low members counts. I like leases where the deer herd health/numbers are more important than keeping the cost of the lease fee down. 7 hunters on 2400 acres of oak and mesquite is so much enjoyable than 25 folks on 800 acres of pines with 10 white oak trees. Less folks equals less problems and more deer for everybody.

I love the dry heat.... I also love the dry crisp mornings during winter. I love the lack of mosquitos and bugs in general. Rats and mice are also rare at our place.

I like all my **** to be there when I arrive at the lease. I like being able to leave stuff at my lease and know it's going to be there when I drive up. Hauling back what I have at my lease each trip would be a major PITA. Replacing it all because some methhead stole it would be even more of a PITA.

I like not having pictures of poachers and hog doggers. I like not having my hunt ruined by the guy on his 5 acres next door practicing for World War 3.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a winner.
BuckBass79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #108
Filletem
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Quote:
I'm glad you posted this pretty much what I wanted to say I just didn't feel like typing it out.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #109
Filletem
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
I have hunted both and I have to say if you enjoy seeing deer just about ever time you go out then go west. If you enjoy fighting skeeters, seeing one deer a month maybe and it not being big enough to make it legal then hunt east. Yes there are places in ET that have more deer but most of those are taken. Yes I know there are big deer in ET too but if you go WT in the right areas you get the big bonus of exotics. Which you can hunt year round, taste better, and most have a lot more meat on them than a whitetail in TX ever dreamed of having. Also you can legally kill those pesky rattle snakes in WT. I live in Waller county and we are in the post oak savanna looking area, no pine trees, and we have a decent deer herd around the house but that mostly because not many folks hunt them. Growing up around there we rarely seen any deer. We got a place in Leaky and WOW we would see deer everyday. So its up to what you can afford or preference but for the shear fun of seeing lots of animals Id go west. Mason and Brady area have some good sized bucks and a few exotics running around plus turkeys. I sat on day and had 21 deer at my stand and only 3 were does. Of the bucks 6 were 4yrs old or older. You just do see that in ET getting on a lease.
I wish you would change your avatar, Every time I start reading a thread and your post pop up I get side tracked on that avatar and lose my place.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #110
sbushee
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

I've never hunted ETX but have heard lots of horror stories about poaching and trespassing. I love the west and big open country. Harvesting a deer is just a bonus and not necessary for a wonderful outdoor experience.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #111
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Quote:
If a person lives in ETX and can't find that inETX, chances are pretty good they need to change friends.
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #112
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
If a person lives in ETX and can't find that inETX, chances are pretty good they need to change friends.
True. there are more and more quality places in east tx. Honestly, the deer are getting easier to kill as well. Prices are going up but a quality deer lease in East tx is very doable if you want to drop the cash.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #113
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
Or just knock on the right doors.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #114
cj_sandman
Spike

Hunt In: WTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
What are you calling west tx ???
San Saba, so maybe technically more western Central TX?
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #115
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

If someone hunting west pays $1,100 a year for full access on a 1,000 acre property with 8 other hunters and thinks it's better than my 55 minute drive ETX lease, let's compare WT harvest pictures.

I can guarantee I'll win this bet.

Did I mention I drive 55 minutes?

You guys bashing east, stay where you are. All this "no deer" hunting is a lot of fun!
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #116
cj_sandman
Spike

Hunt In: WTX

Quote:

This is pretty spot on how I feel

Thank you for all the responses, you guys have provided a great deal of information. I think I would like to make sure I see deer every time I go out. Not seeing deer isn't going to "ruin the experience" for me per se, but right now I've got two young kids who aren't old enough to hunt yet, and so my number of opportunities to go are pretty limited. Currently, I am in it for the meat as opposed to trophies. After reading all the responses, I get the feeling that I want to hunt central/west right now, and may be interested in hunting east later on when I have more time.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #117
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
If someone hunting west pays $1,100 a year for full access on a 1,000 acre property with 8 other hunters and thinks it's better than my 55 minute drive ETX lease, let's compare WT harvest pictures.

You guys bashing east, stay where you are. All this "no deer" hunting is a lot of fun!
I went back and read the thread again and not picking up any bashing? I don't get the one is better than the other that's just silly and does not make sense. As several have mentioned they are different and I don't think anyone can dispute that.
Sounds like you have a nice place enjoy it. Living in DFW either way is 3-4 hours for me. The place I currently hunt is actually 5 hours but I think it's one of coolest places in Texas so that where I go.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #118
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post

Agreed. Let them stay after those pencil racked grey hounds
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #119
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
I've been saying for years, the only thing wrong with East Texas is the East Texans. So before the people from East Texas pile on for saying that, I'm an East Texan.

I finally got fed up with all the poaching, theft and trespassing. It was a constant battle. If you weren't there enough, people started to think you were gone and they'd treat the place like their own.

I love being able to hunt a place that I don't EVER have to worry about.
This is what keeps me from even considering a lease in East Texas. Just way too many of these types of stories on here every year out of East Texas. I'd rather pay double and drive twice as far if I had to in order to avoid that kind of mess.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #120
wloftis
Six Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

Personal preference...basically all depends on what you like in a hunting lease.

Any "bashing" or "comparing"....starting to sound like some are wanting to "compare shoe/hand size".

OP, good luck on your decision making, and best of luck to all this hunting season. Come on Sept. 30th!
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #121
Wiley64
Four Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg TX

I've hunted both my whole life. In my opinion, west Texas has far more deer and it's not as muddy or buggy. No brainer.
Wiley64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #122
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I live east of DFW and would love to have a good east Texas lease within 2 hours of the house. Like someone (from east Tx) said, you have to find the right setup in the right county with the right people and then east Tx. can be incredible. Since I don't have that hookup, I drive 3.5 hours to San Saba where 6 of us hunt on 1,000 acres and see plenty of game. It's really not a hard call. And besides, there are no deer in east Texas.

Having said all of that, I would be all over a good east Texas lease if I had the opportunity.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #123
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
This is what keeps me from even considering a lease in East Texas. Just way too many of these types of stories on here every year out of East Texas. I'd rather pay double and drive twice as far if I had to in order to avoid that kind of mess.
I really think that is more of a population and small acreage issue. A LOT fewer people west of 35 than east of it.
BrianL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #124
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
I really think that is more of a population and small acreage issue. A LOT fewer people west of 35 than east of it.

That's part of it, but in my experience it's changing of the times. My entire youth was spent hunting and fishing on someone else's property. We knew our neighbors, knew where their stands were, and stayed out of their way. No one cared, they hunted our property, we hunted theirs. If we got "caught" one of 2 things happened. We either discussed where each other had been hunting and what we'd been seeing, or the stern "get your *** on your side of the fence and if I catch you back over here I'll tell your Daddy." talk would go down. Typically the latter never happened.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #125
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.
Default West Texas for me...

Hunted north of Van Horn for close to 30 years, just outside of Mertzon for a coupe years in addition to Van Horn and now I hunt in Val Verde and Terrell County. I just love it out there. The scenery is great, sundowns and sunrises can be spectacular, it snows occasionally, and of course there's lots of critters.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #126
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

If I had my choice it would be a large, highly managed, highly secure(no trespassers) lease in deep East Texas.. Im not sure that even exists..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #127
Mo 7777
Spike

Hunt In: cass co

I've hunted in East Texas all of my life. I have seen some phenomenal deer come out of the thick, piney woods. Due to the heavy timber and thickets, East Texas is an area that requires skill to hunt in. You could have a record book buck that very few have seen, but not be able to get a shot at it due to the brush, which could be very frustrating. It has happened to many hunters that are familiar with the great, piney woods.
Mo 7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #128
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cayuga, Childress, the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
If I had my choice it would be a large, highly managed, highly secure(no trespassers) lease in deep East Texas.. Im not sure that even exists..
It does. Jack brittingham owns it. Yes he put a fence up, but they are native genetics.

That being said, I would choose west Texas due to the diversity of game species available in addition to the deer.
texas shag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #129
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
That's part of it, but in my experience it's changing of the times. My entire youth was spent hunting and fishing on someone else's property. We knew our neighbors, knew where their stands were, and stayed out of their way. No one cared, they hunted our property, we hunted theirs. If we got "caught" one of 2 things happened. We either discussed where each other had been hunting and what we'd been seeing, or the stern "get your *** on your side of the fence and if I catch you back over here I'll tell your Daddy." talk would go down. Typically the latter never happened.

I grew up in Fannin County and had access to 1000s and 1000s of acres. All from just asking. However there weren't any deer to speak of around this part of the state. As deer started getting plentiful, access started going away I guess. Back in my day going hunting meant dove, duck, squirrel, coon, rabbit, yotes .....and that mountain lion the old timers said they saw in the bottom. I hunted that dang lion for several years . Wonder if that old man really saw one, or just enjoyed watching me try and kill a ghost. I had fun either way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by BrianL; 08-15-2017 at 07:51 PM..
BrianL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #130
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
It does. Jack brittingham owns it. Yes he put a fence up, but they are native genetics.

That being said, I would choose west Texas due to the diversity of game species available in addition to the deer.
Yes I'm aware of Jacks ranch but I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
I've hunted ST, WT, the panhandle and old Mexico but those true wild, Giants from east Texas is what I would really like to chase..

Second to that would be the Panhandle. Gray or surrounding counties.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #131
Fork Man
Spike

Hunt In: North Texas

East Texas. Got to find the right property. Nothing like chasing big bucks and on the lake after big bass the same day. Found it 7 years ago, ain't giving it up....

BC deer by , on Flickr
BJ deer by , on Flickr
get-attachment (7) by , on Flickr
untitled by , on Flickr
Kaden deer 3 by , on Flickr
untitled (3) by , on Flickr
Fork Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #132
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I grew hunting North East Texas and as a kid it sucked...still own land there; and yes hunting all over East Texas is better than 30 years ago, lot more deer. We were just happy to see deer back then. I also have been on a timber lease in South East Texas; it was cheap, fun to ride atv's on, and I killed lot of small deer and hogs. Fun for the price. The muddy roads from the logging trucks get old, trespassers all the time on camera, but it was only a hour away!. But After hunting the Hill Country and farther west, I prefer it any day. Love the chance for exotics, see more deer to keep you interested, beautiful terrain. I use to not mind the drive at all, actually enjoyed the silence while sipping coffee. But now with kids, long commutes just suck...So I am now hunting Centerville, which is still close, lots of deer, but not true East Texas.
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #133
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Being from West Texas and living in East Texas for 20 years. A lot of people ask me whats the biggest difference between East and West Texas.

I answer :

When you're driving down the highway in West Texas people give you the index finger wave

In East Texas when driving down the highway they give you the middle finger wave

And the humidity really does suck
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #134
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

Not to mention incredible dove hunting and the quail are starting to return. You ain't getting that in East TX

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #135
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

For me it would be WT, but that's because I like to see a lot deer and be able to ride around hunting!
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #136
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
I grew up in Fannin County and had access to 1000s and 1000s of acres. All from just asking. However there weren't any deer to speak of around this part of the state. As deer started getting plentiful, access started going away I guess. Back in my day going hunting meant dove, duck, squirrel, coon, rabbit, yotes .....and that mountain lion the old timers said they saw in the bottom. I hunted that dang lion for several years . Wonder if that old man really saw one, or just enjoyed watching me try and kill a ghost. I had fun either way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If there were as many lions as there were stories there's absolutely no way there'd be a single deer left in E. Tx lol

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #137
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I'm aware of Jacks ranch but I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
I've hunted ST, WT, the panhandle and old Mexico but those true wild, Giants from east Texas is what I would really like to chase..

They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them in any way on social media. I know of about 4 off the top of my head and had to pass on an opportunity at 2 of them this year. The dues were around $5k, but essentially if you shoot anything under 150" you're burning your tag.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #138
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

For a $20k/yr donation to a foundation you can have access to a pretty good place on the Neches....or so I've heard.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #139
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Being from West Texas and living in East Texas for 20 years. A lot of people ask me whats the biggest difference between East and West Texas.

I answer :

When you're driving down the highway in West Texas people give you the index finger wave

In East Texas when driving down the highway they give you the middle finger wave

And the humidity really does suck

If I lived in all that mosquito-infested humidity, I might be a little cranky too.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #140
jetboysixx
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason County

Last year I hunted all season in east TX - didn't see a single deer. This year my second sit in my stand in west TX, I counted 18 deer.

jetboysixx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #141
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Honestly, the deer are getting easier to kill as well.
Send those deer North.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #142
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Quote:

If I lived in all that mosquito-infested humidity, I might be a little cranky too.
Ppl elsewhere pay to go to a sauna..we get it for free.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #143
AggieArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Mason County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboysixx View Post
Last year I hunted all season in east TX - didn't see a single deer. This year my second sit in my stand in west TX, I counted 18 deer.

Where in Mason county are you? We may be neighbors!
AggieArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #144
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Quote:
East Texas proud here for 20 years.

To me...a deer lease is about so much more than inches or lbs..... but East Texas has a nice amount of both. The entire experience is what I look for.

I like seeing deer... even if I don't trip my release all year on a "monster". I enjoy watching deer as much as I enjoy shooting them. I don't hunt to watch birds (crows are OK.) Seeing deer is fun ...killing several deer a year is even more fun..

I love the people in the east. They are a friendly bunch and laid back as a whole. The egos are checked at the gate.

I like the large leases and low members counts. I like leases where the deer herd health/numbers are more important than keeping the cost of the lease fee down. 7 hunters on 800 acres of pines with 10 white oak trees can be just as enjoyable as 7 hunters on 2400 acres of oak and mesquite. It's thick out here.

I love the humidity, it makes me tougher.... I also love the dry crisp mornings during winter. I love the of mosquitos and bugs in general, it reminds me we are in rugged country. Rats and mice are everywhere but I can handle it.

I like all my **** to be there when I arrive at the lease. I like being able to leave stuff at my lease and know it's going to be there when I drive up. Hauling back what I have at my lease each trip would be a major PITA. Replacing it all because some methhead stole it would be even more of a PITA. Thank God, I've never had that problem and I'm pretty close to methhead central.

I love the smell of burning charcoal and ribeyes searing over it.

I love..... the drive. .. especially on Sunday when I can get back to my wife and son by lunchtime with a deer in the bed of my truck.

I love 105 deg workdays in the summer, we drink more beer because of it.

We all hated the droughts.

Fify

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 08-15-2017 at 11:16 PM..
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #145
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county
Default East TX vs. West TX leases

After hunting a big ranch out west, I'll tell you right now that I would start chasing ducks on the coast full time again If the only place I had to hunt was East Texas.

shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #146
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

They exist alright but you won't find it advertised in the TBH classifieds or craigslist. You just about have to be born into them or know the right people.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #147
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

I just bought 640 acres. Never even considered looking at East Texas. West Texas is where its at.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #148
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them in any way on social media. I know of about 4 off the top of my head and had to pass on an opportunity at 2 of them this year. The dues were around $5k, but essentially if you shoot anything under 150" you're burning your tag.

There are a couple in houston Co. One of them turned out a low fence 278 inch deer a couple years ago.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #149
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
There are a couple in houston Co. One of them turned out a low fence 278 inch deer a couple years ago.
You won't find pictures of those deer hanging in the office at Stubbs, or on the TBGA website.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #150
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
Quote:
They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
They exist alright but you won't find it advertised in the TBH classifieds or craigslist. You just about have to be born into them or know the right people.
All true.
I know some places, quite a few actually, that are not Timber company land at all or a big hunting club. And the deer taken off these places will never be seen posted on the internet. I was talking to a guy that hunts one of these places a year or so ago about it and he had a friend that wanted to get his "foot in the door" to hunt where he was hunting. He told him somebody would have to die before they brought in another hunter.
Then, there's another friend that I go see every now and then, and behind his house is a storage shed. After he kills a buck and gets it cleaned, he cuts the horns off the skull and throws it on top of the roof of that shed. Everybody else would probably have them deer hangin on a wall in the house!!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top