Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Blitz
Spike

Default Ozonics

Ok. I know right from the start that I will get some saying "waste of money" and others saying "this thing works" and yet others saying I'm not sure but it's a boat load of cash to spend to try out.

That being said, I do have the cash to buy one. I hunt only public land because I can't afford a lease. My question is this. Would I be better served to buy this or perhaps some trail cameras? I don't currently own either. I have taken scent control serious this year. I won't be taking my coffee with me to the stand. I plan on storing my hunting clothes in vacuum bags and I even purchased some rubber boots. I use a tree climber (summit) which I love. I would enjoy some feedback. Thanks
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
the dirty one
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin area

I am on the Ozonics train, I love it and I know it works for me. I would purchase the ozonics before cameras, the cameras will probly end up stolen on public land. That's my 2 cents. Sometimes you can get the HR200 on the green screen for 200 bucks.
the dirty one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I own both cameras and an ozonics.

I think I would buy some cameras w/locks before I bought an ozonics if I was in your situation.

No sense in owning an ozonics if you are hunting in an area with no deer. There would be nothing to smell you.....
ballgame is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Blitz
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame View Post

I think I would buy some cameras w/locks before I bought an ozonics if I was in your situation.

No sense in owning an ozonics if you are hunting in an area with no deer. There would be nothing to smell you.....
That is hilarious
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

IMO Ozonics works great in blinds but not near as good in a open stand like you will hunting but I haven't tried their new more powerful one they have out now. If I were you I would get game camera's first.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Ok. I know right from the start that I will get some saying "waste of money" and others saying "this thing works" and yet others saying I'm not sure but it's a boat load of cash to spend to try out.

That being said, I do have the cash to buy one. I hunt only public land because I can't afford a lease. My question is this. Would I be better served to buy this or perhaps some trail cameras? I don't currently own either. I have taken scent control serious this year. I won't be taking my coffee with me to the stand. I plan on storing my hunting clothes in vacuum bags and I even purchased some rubber boots. I use a tree climber (summit) which I love. I would enjoy some feedback. Thanks
Blitz, I have a couple cameras I can send you so you don't have to choose. Pm me your address and when I'm at the lease in a couple weeks I'll pull them and send them to you.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
GeauxPreaux
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

If you hunt on public land I don't know if i would trust leaving a camera where anyone will have access to it, locked, chained or boxed. I've had some stolen on private land. As far as the Ozonics goes, I'm on the so called "Train" as well. I hunt south of Sonora and the deer do not pattern very well and the wind seems to swirl...a lot. They seem to pop up from all directions. The price is a tad bit on the high side but to me its well worth its weight in gold if it means you can get that much closer to Mr. Big. There will be negative nancies that say,"well if you play the wind right, you shouldn't have any issues". I say, if the technology is there, take advantage.
GeauxPreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Blitz
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
Blitz, I have a couple cameras I can send you so you don't have to choose. Pm me your address and when I'm at the lease in a couple weeks I'll pull them and send them to you.
LOL. I can't send any PM's until I have atleast 15 posts. Unfortunetly the growing pains of a noob in here.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Get to posting!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Blitz
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
Get to posting!
I know right!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

LOL...you haven't been on here long if you haven't witnessed someone getting their post count up! The same guy wil be the last poster on most of the posts on the whole first page with one word responses!
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
LOL...you haven't been on here long if you haven't witnessed someone getting their post count up! The same guy wil be the last poster on most of the posts on the whole first page with one word responses!
Yep.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
LOL. I can't send any PM's until I have atleast 15 posts. Unfortunetly the growing pains of a noob in here.
Get to posting
Attached Images

bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

When a hog and a coyote comes in downwind you know the Ozonics works. Had that happen to me last year, which was the first year for using Ozonics. I was skeptical too, in fact my wife bought it for me and I never used it for four years. Didn't take long for me to board the train once I used it. Never used it in the open yet, but I will be this year.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Grady_jones
Six Point

Hunt In: sutton county

Love ozonics but you need trail cameras more
Grady_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

To me, learning to read sign is more important than a trail cam. Trial cams only cover one station, and in a limited direction. Learning to read sign will tell you where to place them so you might can see what is currently visiting that sight. Learning what is currently being eaten, what will be eaten later, how fresh deer dung is, how fresh tracks are, what a bedding sight looks like, current water supply, how to tell the difference between what hogs, dillos, deer, and squirrels do under a tree with lots of leaves on the ground when you see push or kick marks or the leaves turned over, ect. will tell you a lot more. It won't give specifics on what deer is there. But could give you an idea of how many. And bucks are gonna go where the does are come the rut anyway.

I don't have an Ozonics. But do take great care in scent control, unless I'm gun hunting. I still practice scent control then too. But just don't take it as seriously. I wouldn't mind trying an Ozonics. But just don't get to the woods like I used to when I was younger due to limitations. And it's one more thing I'd have to pack in with my back condition.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow, will travel
Default Ozonics

I don't use an ozonics, but I do use an Ozone unit in a sealed tote with my hunting clothes before I get to my hunting area. Does it work considering I hike and sweat my tail off on the way in? Probably not.

I've tried scent killing sprays, Nose Jammer, all sorts of stuff. None of it is fool proof, and I don't think Ozone is either. I just play the wind, on both ACCESS routes and stand location. Here's an interesting link.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...g-sniffing-dog

TG's point is great. Because if you can't find sign, trail cams are worthless... unless you like hogs or other woodland critters on film . Whatever cam you choose to invest in, I'd suggest making sure you can lock it up, and that it's cheap. Walmart has a 6mp Tasco for $24 I've had decent luck with, and I take a tree step to hang it out of reach to lock it as well.

One other thing to mention, and you may well know this but the first year I ran a camera I got super excited. I'd take corn out each weekend and swap the SD card.

Come opening weekend, NONE of those bucks stayed within the area after the bachelor groups broke up, and to make things even worse, I put pressure on those deer by leaving scent everywhere each time I checked the cam.

Trail cameras can help, but checking them too frequently can let that buck know he's being hunted before you want him to know it too.

Last edited by Kirby86; 08-05-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Blitz
Spike

I think im gonna pull the trigger on the ozonics. Not sure if i will get the hr 200 or 300. I know I will buy the extra battery. I will buy cameras as well later. Probably for right after season ends so I can do a true off season scout.

Anything I should know before buying ozonics machine? Accessories?
Old 08-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
GeauxPreaux
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I think im gonna pull the trigger on the ozonics. Not sure if i will get the hr 200 or 300. I know I will buy the extra battery. I will buy cameras as well later. Probably for right after season ends so I can do a true off season scout.

Anything I should know before buying ozonics machine? Accessories?
I believe the only thing that the Ozonics comes with is 1 6HR battery and a screw in style mount. I just purchased 2 8HR XL batteries and an extra charger and will be looking into getting the ground blind mount.

The directions that come with the unit recommend charging in Storage Mode during the offseason. I forgot to do this and now the battery wont even charge.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
GeauxPreaux
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
I don't use an ozonics, but I do use an Ozone unit in a sealed tote with my hunting clothes before I get to my hunting area. Does it work considering I hike and sweat my tail off on the way in? Probably not.

I've tried scent killing sprays, Nose Jammer, all sorts of stuff. None of it is fool proof, and I don't think Ozone is either. I just play the wind, on both ACCESS routes and stand location. Here's an interesting link.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...g-sniffing-dog

TG's point is great. Because if you can't find sign, trail cams are worthless... unless you like hogs or other woodland critters on film . Whatever cam you choose to invest in, I'd suggest making sure you can lock it up, and that it's cheap. Walmart has a 6mp Tasco for $24 I've had decent luck with, and I take a tree step to hang it out of reach to lock it as well.

One other thing to mention, and you may well know this but the first year I ran a camera I got super excited. I'd take corn out each weekend and swap the SD card.

Come opening weekend, NONE of those bucks stayed within the area after the bachelor groups broke up, and to make things even worse, I put pressure on those deer by leaving scent everywhere each time I checked the cam.

Trail cameras can help, but checking them too frequently can let that buck know he's being hunted before you want him to know it too.
Interesting read Kirby. I have noticed that the deer seem to know that something isn't quite right but never go on full alert. i've been busted more by downwind deer from my movement than from scent.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
Blitz
Spike

I know the wind is huge (now I do).

Last year my stand was facing south and the wind was a south wind during archery season. Seen plenty of deer.

During rifle season when I went back, wind was from the north and I didn't see anything.

This year, I decided to educate myself on why (lol). Now I know what it means to hunt the wind.

That being said, my goal is increase my percentages to fill the freezer. Once I get good at killing deer, I might then choose to make it more challenging. For now, I will take all the help I can get.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
Blitz
Spike

Well. I made the plunge. Picked up a HR200 (Cabelas had them on sale for $300). I picked up the XL battery as well. Hopefully in a few months, I won't need to depend on what others are saying about Ozonics. I will be able to tell you myself.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #23
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Look forward to hearing the results. Please let us know how it works out for you.
Ispdnxs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame View Post

I agree with this. Plus, hunting in the forest you can get high enough to get you above the scent line.

I'm an ozonics fan but like Rob said, it's at it's best in a blind. Not what you'll likely be doing.

I Have a Moultrie TC that I'd sell you for $50 shipped. It's the smaller unit that runs on 8 AA batteries. I have 3 and they've been great little camera's for me. I could even be talked into selling you 2 of them as I'm using a Covert now. I'll also include a 4GB chip.

You could search around on here and get a used Ozonics and possibly have both before season starts.

Now get to posting so you can PM.

OOPs...didn't see your last post about picking up an ozonics. Good choice and even better choice on the XL Battery. My offer still stands if you're interested in the camera.

Last edited by Slick8; 08-20-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
topher5999
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche CO. and Public Land

I have owned several, is it the end all be all? No, it is a tool that can help in scent control. Worth the money?maybe depending on situation and setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
topher5999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top