Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography

Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties
Default Which lens to buy?

Alright,
I'm looking at buying a lens I'll use mainly for landscapes and just general use. I plan on using it mainly when I'm walking around the ranch and taking pictures of grasses, prescribed burning, landscape shots, and some night photography. There are a lot of really good lenses out there, at the moment though I don't want to drop a ton of money on one. I've mainly been looking at the canon 50mm 1.8 and the canon 24mm 2.8. Leaning towards the 24mm because I shoot a 70d and a 24mm is really going to be closer 38mm. There are some great lenses at the $500 range, but I'd rather spend half of that.
Let me know your opinions of the two lenses listed, or another price friendly lens I'm missing. I currently use my kit 18-55mm lens and want a better piece of glass. Thanks!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 that I use on my 7D. It's a nice lens, especially for the price. It will cover the range you're looking for, I imagine.

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm...ma+17+50+canon

Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Puncher51
Eight Point

[quote=Shane;12215196]I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 that I use on my 7D. It's a nice lens, especially for the price. It will cover the range you're looking for, I imagine.

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm...ma+17+50+canon

Thanks for the reply Shane! I wasn't quite wanting to spend that much right now, but that looks like a great lens. I really want something that will be a good all around lens. Couple that one with my 150-600 and I should be good.

Any other recommendations or ideas?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Shane
Pope & Young

There are some on eBay for $250 - $275.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Bill M
Pope & Young

I have this lens I bought on ebay and it's been great. Had it 3 years now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-Zoom-...0AAOSwe7BWzI2j
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Puncher51
Eight Point

I haven't been on eBay and years, that is a heck of a savings though. Looks like I'm going to have to sign back up!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Puncher51
Eight Point

Alrighty guys, I need some more recommendations for lenses. Or just your personal opinion on which fits my situation better. I'm looking for a new lens for Astrophotography and landscapes. I've been shooting lately with my Canon 24mm, but I need something wider for some of the shots I have in mind. At first I was looking at the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 as Shane recommended above. It looks like a great lens. Only problem is I don't know if it is quite wide enough to buy. Then I did a lot of searching and found the Tokina 11-16 and the Rokinon 14mm 2.8. The Rokinon is cheaper, but the Tokina has pretty awesome reviews from the TBH crowd. What is yalls opinion? Any other lenses I should look at? The price of the Tokina has me concerned, but I'm ready to spend the money if it's worth it.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

You want something wide for landscape. I recently went to an ultra wide and love it but that might be a bit too much for what you are looking for. An example of what 10.5mm gets you. Its 180 degrees so you have to literally be right on top of it.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=lens
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Puncher51
Eight Point

Wow, that's extremely wide! Cools shots!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
FriscoAg
Six Point

I have a Canon 10-18mm that I like. Check out the reviews section on BH website for sample pics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_5_6_is.html
FriscoAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Bill M
Pope & Young

Kegan one thing to consider on the Sigma is it is an aps-c lens and if you ever go full frame it won't work on the FF body. Vignette big time. I ran into this situation and worked around it until I sold the lenses. IMO a lens for your stated purpose wouldn't need to be an IS lens.

You might take a look at this one or see about a used one. This one is on my radar especially since a wide angle isn't a priority lens for me.

Lots of guys here do like the Tokina. Looking at it at B&H reveals it is also for aps-c sensors.

Good luck with what you decide.

Edit: FriscoAg posted one I was going to look into until I figured out it wasn't for FF bodies.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Bill M
Pope & Young

Well it was hidden (translated I didn't read far enough down) but the one I recommended is aps-c also.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #13
Shane
Pope & Young

I have a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 that I like a lot. The 11-16mm f/2.8 Is probably what I'd buy today if I was looking for a wide zoom for landscape. I rarely go above 16mm when I have my 12-24 lens on my camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
Puncher51
Eight Point

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Keep them coming please! I'd really like to stay close to the f2.8 if possible. Anything higher than that worries me, even though I read all the way up to f4 is ok. If any of y'all have any experiences with the higher aperatures im interested in hearing yalls results with astrophotography.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Keep them coming please! I'd really like to stay close to the f2.8 if possible. Anything higher than that worries me, even though I read all the way up to f4 is ok. If any of y'all have any experiences with the higher aperatures im interested in hearing yalls results with astrophotography.
One thing to consider with a wide lens is if you really need it to be that fast, like a 2.8. It sounds like you will be shooting during daylight hours and shooting landscape you will be on the higher end, say F11, in order to get a greater depth of field. I am a Nikon shooter so cannot recommend a specific lens in the Canon line for you but I have the 16-35 VR F4 and I have never wished in a shooting situation that it went below F4. Also, if you are shooting landscapes you will probably be on a tripod anyway.
Just something to think about as the faster the lens, the higher the price. One website you might check out if you have not already is KEH.com
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Puncher51
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
One thing to consider with a wide lens is if you really need it to be that fast, like a 2.8. It sounds like you will be shooting during daylight hours and shooting landscape you will be on the higher end, say F11, in order to get a greater depth of field. I am a Nikon shooter so cannot recommend a specific lens in the Canon line for you but I have the 16-35 VR F4 and I have never wished in a shooting situation that it went below F4. Also, if you are shooting landscapes you will probably be on a tripod anyway.
Just something to think about as the faster the lens, the higher the price. One website you might check out if you have not already is KEH.com
This lens will almost be exclusively used for astrophotography, mainly Milky Way shots, and some landscape. That's why I was really not wanting to get too far away from 2.8
Old 06-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Quote:
This lens will almost be exclusively used for astrophotography, mainly Milky Way shots, and some landscape. That's why I was really not wanting to get too far away from 2.8
I have never done astrophotography so I am not familiar with how to shoot it. My initial thought is that you would want to close down your aperture as much as you can. School me on it as I would like to know more about it.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you talking astro or night sky photography. I know many shooting astrophotography use apertures in the f8 area. Several years ago I had a couple of nice telescopes and was going to get into astrophotography until I learned I had to stay up most of the night and that was before the processing.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #19
Casey
Administrator

I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and it produces great results. I recommend it.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #20
Puncher51
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Do you have any photos to share from the Tokina or links where I could see some shots from it?
Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #21
Casey
Administrator

I do. Give me a day or so.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #22
jdma
Eight Point

Default Toking

Quote:
Casey - that lens will fit on your full frame canon?
jdma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #23
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Do you have any photos to share from the Tokina or links where I could see some shots from it?
Here a few of mine over the years.
Flickr Tokina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdma View Post
Casey - that lens will fit on your full frame canon?
No. It will not. I use(d) it on my 50D and my 7D. It really is a nice lens.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
Puncher51
Eight Point

Quote:
Here a few of mine over the years.
Flickr Tokina

Those look great Casey!! Thank ya!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 AM   #25
cfortner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voss

I love my Tokina 11-16. Here are some of the shots I've taken with it.

Backyard Annole by Chris, on Flickr

Backyard Moonflower by Chris, on Flickr

Moonrise at Lake Fannin by Chris, on Flickr

Rainy Night at Octoberfest by Chris, on Flickr

USS Lexington by Chris, on Flickr

Backyard Lightning by Chris, on Flickr

Iridium Flare by Chris, on Flickr
cfortner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have the Tokina 16-28 2.8 and absolutely love it for landscape/general shooting. I picked mine up at Precision in Austin a few years ago.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #27
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Quote:
Casey are you certain your Tokina won't physically fit your 5D3? When I was recently looking for a wide angle lens, I found out that some people buy the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to use on full frame cameras. (And now that includes me.) It can only be used at 15 or 16mm without vignetting, but for the price point, I was fine with that limitation. I haven't really used it all that much yet, but for the limited time I have, it's worked fine on my Canon 5D3 and I've been pleased with the the photos I've taken with it.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #28
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
Casey are you certain your Tokina won't physically fit your 5D3? When I was recently looking for a wide angle lens, I found out that some people buy the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to use on full frame cameras. (And now that includes me.) It can only be used at 15 or 16mm without vignetting, but for the price point, I was fine with that limitation. I haven't really used it all that much yet, but for the limited time I have, it's worked fine on my Canon 5D3 and I've been pleased with the the photos I've taken with it.
I have not even tried it. With 2 versions of the 16-35mm I don't think I'll get much use out of it at that limitation.

I am intrigued, though, as I didn't realize it might work on the FF cameras. I'll test it out when I get the chance.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
jdma
Eight Point

Quote:
That's the camera I have as well. It seems like that lens would be good for taking pictures of the home interiors to get that wide angle. What is your thought
jdma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #30
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have not even tried it. With 2 versions of the 16-35mm I don't think I'll get much use out of it at that limitation.

I am intrigued, though, as I didn't realize it might work on the FF cameras. I'll test it out when I get the chance.
Casey does the 16-35 get wide enough in the landscape? I know the Tokina on a 1.6 crop body would be a little over 17mm so I have to assume the 16 on a FF would be good.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #31
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdma View Post
That's the camera I have as well. It seems like that lens would be good for taking pictures of the home interiors to get that wide angle. What is your thought
Seems like it would be good for that. Particularly since you already have a 24-70mm f/2.8L for when you don't want to go as wide. The Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 should be better because it would cover the gap in focal length. But it's also about $230 more expensive than the 11-16.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #32
Puncher51
Eight Point

[quote=cfortner;12551696]I love my Tokina 11-16. Here are some of the shots I've taken with it.

Excellent shots! I was scrolling from the bottom up and hit your pictures. I was dreading to see what lens you were using because I ordered the Tokina on Monday. I was quite relived when I saw they came from the Tokina.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #33
Puncher51
Eight Point

So far I'm really happy that I went with the Tokina. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #34
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Casey does the 16-35 get wide enough in the landscape? I know the Tokina on a 1.6 crop body would be a little over 17mm so I have to assume the 16 on a FF would be good.
The 16-35 on a full frame is as wide as I will ever need. I don't think I will ever get use out of anything wider.

Horseshoe Bend
by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Quote:
I put the Tokina on the 5DIII and it did, in fact, fit and work...at 16mm. I find that to be virtually useless to me, though, due to having the 2 versions of the 16-35. Interesting it fit, but again, I don't need a 16mm prime.

Puncher,
I think you'll enjoy that lens. You're off to a great start.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #35
Bill M
Pope & Young

Thanks Casey, appreciate the info. I'm thinking about the F4 version. I really don't need 2.8 wide on this type of lens since I wouldn't ever shoot it wide open.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
So far I'm really happy that I went with the Tokina. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!
It's a fantastic lens, nice shot!
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #37
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Thanks Casey, appreciate the info. I'm thinking about the F4 version. I really don't need 2.8 wide on this type of lens since I wouldn't ever shoot it wide open.
The f4 is a stellar lens. However, you can shoot f2.8 at f4 and not be wide open but you can't shoot f4 at f4 without being wide open.

They both have their merits. I've kept the 2.8 for night stuff mainly.

One thing to remember with super wide's is that you will get less than desirable results with a polarizer. I've screwed a few shots up that way.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #38
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
The f4 is a stellar lens. However, you can shoot f2.8 at f4 and not be wide open but you can't shoot f4 at f4 without being wide open.

They both have their merits. I've kept the 2.8 for night stuff mainly.

One thing to remember with super wide's is that you will get less than desirable results with a polarizer. I've screwed a few shots up that way.
How much you want for the f4?