Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #601
Toddcaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo State Park, Morgan Mill

havent had any monsters on tc yet. mostly spikes an puny 4's. I ha one little 6 come in opening morning. The spikes gotta go!!
Toddcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #602
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo

if i ever figure out how to post pics on here i will post some pics have not seen any monsters but have got one nice buck and some pigs
Attached Images

rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #603
rbertman
Eight Point

ok think i figured it out maybe
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #604
rbertman
Eight Point

pigs last year
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #605
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Hunt In: Realtree APG only!

Good looking buck... Good looking bacon...
JDVerfurth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #606
rbertman
Eight Point

so i guess no one is having any luck out at the Buttes have not seen any news on here last night in the state park tonight hoping to shank a fat pig
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #607
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Got some pics of a couple decent bucks, but haven't gotten a shot yet
Rut&Strut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #608
rbertman
Eight Point

well got my wish shanked a pig tonight finally got to go back in and try to recover tomorrow was late and where it ran to there was a big sal and some piglets so did not really want to mess around in the brush plus was not sure my pig was done yet hope so thought i heard it crash in some brush
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #609
dgrant
Six Point

Hunt In: Paint Rock TX

Well anything going out at the buttes seems like everyone shutdown talking about it?
dgrant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #610
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Theives got my **** camera from out at TBR... Been there for 4 months no issues... The some tampoon chewer decided to jack my camera, karmas a bitc h though... So no worries new camera already back up.... My mature bucks have changed their pattern and have opt out of eating my free corn offerings... Gonna change game plan and hunt trails and attempt some rattling... Anyone take a big 8 or a decent 10 out of area 4?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #611
dgrant
Six Point

Can't stand a thief! Who's got a feeder up on the outskirts of the big pecan trees on the back side of I think it's three across the river?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #612
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVerfurth View Post
Theives got my **** camera from out at TBR... Been there for 4 months no issues... The some tampoon chewer decided to jack my camera, karmas a bitc h though... So no worries new camera already back up.... My mature bucks have changed their pattern and have opt out of eating my free corn offerings... Gonna change game plan and hunt trails and attempt some rattling... Anyone take a big 8 or a decent 10 out of area 4?
Dang JD...that sucks!

Probably got snapped hunting your set-up and swiped the camera.
Okie in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #613
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Hey guys I'm back from deployment and its been a few years since I've been able to hunt TBR. How has everything been? Are there any changes? I am planning on coming out the first week of Dec to camp and hunt.
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #614
TexasGuitar
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Gillespie, McCulloch Counties

I was hunting area 4 when i came across a private property sign. It was hung on a make shift fence which was a wire tied to two trees with a t post half way. But it was kind of in the middle of nowhere, no other fences around it and close to the road that leads to section III. I heard that one time someone had made a "quail research" sign and posted in area I trying to keep others out of their hunting spot. So was I close to private property or was someone trying to hide thier honey hole? What sucked was the deer tracks picked up at that spot
TexasGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #615
jet_painter
Nubbin' Buck

I've been all over the southern half of area 4 this season and I haven't come across anything like that. Could you be more specific? I have a question as well about a small area in area 4 that is fenced but has no signs of any kind. But I need to figure out how to get photos on here so I can show everyone what I'm talking about. Its the hump on the area 4 map just north and north west of whites dam. There is a field and some brush with huge trees. Anyone know about this? Oh, I drove up on what looked like a duck hunter on accident yesterday morning (Monday). Sorry dude. I got out of there as fast as I could. And I see a lot of people on here talking about trail cams. I've never noticed one and if I did, I wouldn't touch it. Those things are not cheap. If I walked in front of yours then I'm sorry. To all of the thieves, karmas gonna get you.
I have found tons of deer but no hogs.
I had another question. I found a HUGE herd of sheep that had a MONSTER ram at the head of it. Anyone know who that belongs to? I know about the cattle belonging to someone and him letting them graze there. But I've never heard anyone talk about sheep. So whats the deal?
jet_painter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #616
TexasGuitar
Four Point

Hey jet painter, sorry I'm not to sure exactly where I was. I got off my truck right when you enter past the cattle guard and crossed the river bed and just walked straight across the open fields until I got to that area of the river that has a high bank(I walked for about 45min), there are alot of mesquite trees there. Then I walked along the road that leads to area III, about the time where you can see the main TBR dam I then made a right and saw the fence. Like I said its just a small section of wire, thats why I kind of think it isn't private property. If it makes any sence I was kind of by where the dry creek crosses the road towards the end of area IV. Haha but I'm always afraid of walking through someones set up and getting a picture taken of me too. And the fenced off area you're talking about, is it that small hog trap looking thing?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #617
jet_painter
Nubbin' Buck

Its about a 20 acre field next to same size chunk of fenced in brush and trees. Think - between that boys ranch road and whites dam. Looks private but its not marked private. I would say that's fair game.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #618
jet_painter
Nubbin' Buck

Does anyone know anything about those sheep? Anyone friends with the game warden and can ask him?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #619
jet_painter
Nubbin' Buck

the cattle guard at the end of 2166? oh and i finally found a better map of the area. im good now.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #620
TexasGuitar
Four Point

No I meant the cattle guard when you turn off of highway 67, thats where I enter. And I would guess those sheep belong to whoever leases the land for cattle.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #621
TXarrow
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Tom Green

Hey JDVerfurth is that you in the white tundra that hunts off if 67 in unit 4. Just wandering because I have had my camera swiped out there too. Saturday morning I saw a big eight run thru my setup with his nose to the ground and I couldn't get him to stop. So I think he is still out there. I hate a thief and they will get what's coming to them somehow. I drive a gold dodge ram.
TXarrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #622
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Yeah that's me... Have any luck out there this year? There is 2 different 8's in the area... Ones at young 8 the other is a huge old wide buck. Had the young 8 at 75 yards tonite no luck getting him any closer... Had really good luck all last week, gonna close the deal on something soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #623
dgrant
Six Point

Anyone going to be hunting the back of 3 and 4 this weekend? Thinking about going saterday. Anyone seeing anything at all in the area?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #624
Mjjust
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

This was my first season with a bow and my son's 2nd season. My son attends ASU and I have been making several weekend trips up there and we hunted San Angelo State park but its now closed to bowhunting. He was able to get his first bowkill of a small doe but I am still looking for my first. I'm back in San Antonio for a while but he would like to maybe try some areas at Twin Buttes. We've heard good and bad about the area and as a dad want him to be safe. Anyone have suggestions on which of the 7 areas is better and safer? Certainly aren't looking for someone to give up their secret spot but neither of us are familiar with the areas and since I won't be there just a bit concerned. If anyone has advice or even willing to show him around I would be much appreciative of it.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #625
rbertman
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
This was my first season with a bow and my son's 2nd season. My son attends ASU and I have been making several weekend trips up there and we hunted San Angelo State park but its now closed to bowhunting. He was able to get his first bowkill of a small doe but I am still looking for my first. I'm back in San Antonio for a while but he would like to maybe try some areas at Twin Buttes. We've heard good and bad about the area and as a dad want him to be safe. Anyone have suggestions on which of the 7 areas is better and safer? Certainly aren't looking for someone to give up their secret spot but neither of us are familiar with the areas and since I won't be there just a bit concerned. If anyone has advice or even willing to show him around I would be much appreciative of it.
just be very careful out there bow hunters and gun hunters mixed it can get scarey out there lots deer out there good luck get a hold of sanagelobowman
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #626
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

00 buckshot rolled him at 40 yds

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354381039.250616.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  19.9 KB
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #627
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

JD- question for you.

In Area V, can you hunt over the Middle Concho? Meaning, can you set up over the water pockets?

Any luck so far?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #628
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Post Stay to the East to be safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie in Texas View Post
JD- question for you.

In Area V, can you hunt over the Middle Concho? Meaning, can you set up over the water pockets?

Any luck so far?
You know I'm not 100% positive on the this, however I would assume based on the actual zone map, if you stay on the east side of the Concho in area V that you would fall into the designated area. I think hunting over a water hole is a great idea, if u get on google earth and look at area V, there is a nice pond on the northern most fence line, I've hunted it a few time this season with a lot of good movement and I think with the right bait and set up you could definitely close the deal on a mesquite bean feed giant. I'm pretty sure the GW would give you hell if he found you hunting on the West Bank, but the East Bank he wouldn't have much to stand on based on the map.... My luck... Well last Friday I nailed a nice buck a hair high and a hair back but definitely a lung... Me and TXArrow were hunting the same area so I backed out and waited for a solid hour and a half. Then we both tracked this buck(mainly TXarrow, this guy is amazing at finding any blood trail) for a solid three hours with no luck, so I don't know think it was a great enough shoot to kill him so that's all the luck I'm having at this point... Didn't mean to write a short novel here...
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #629
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

I thought that..but I bet as soon as I hit one, it would head up that west bank.

Stinks to hear about your buck. Which way did you track him?

I have had a nice 8 in the yard every night about 8-9. He travels w/7-8 does parallel to the RR tracks on the south side, stops and eats acorns, rye out of my yard and the heads north back up towards the cover by area IV.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #630
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

This is the northern most boundary of area V, right? Where the pin is...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355011295.615751.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  80.1 KB
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #631
dgrant
Six Point

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  38.9 KB I think where that pin is is the end of area 5.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #632
TXarrow
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the compliment JD. I believe we owe it to the animals we hunt to do everything we can to find them after the shot. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Anyway wanted to let everyone know the theives are at it again. Had my blind and another camera swiped this past Sunday. I just don't understand how some people think. They apparently don't know what karma is.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #633
TexasGuitar
Four Point

Hey guys I was talking to a friend of mine that used to work for the lakes department of the city and they said that periodically they would have to go out and pick up all the hunting gear that people would leave out there. Its not permitted to leave blinds and cams so they would pick them up (cut home made blinds with chain saws break cables etc.). He said they would keep the stuff at their shop until some one claimed them. So I would check with them, the shop I believe is on Knickerbocker where fisherman's road splits off. Plus why would you leave stuff out there anyways?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #634
rbertman
Eight Point

It is tough pulling tree stand and or tripods out of and area everyday or night takes awhile for animals to get use to new items they see in and area we dont have straight up trees 30 ft to hide in keep the area you hunt in clean and remove stuff when finish hunting at end of the year should be a problem tell lake patrol to go mess with trouble makers leave honest man alone alot of crap goes on out at that lake that seems to go un noticed I get a little upset when you see people out there shooting claybirds and other **** and never clean up but put a deerblind up and your half freaking criminal arrows and one shell from a gun are easy to clean I would be ****** if they took my stuff for no reason tell them we should date our equipment should be good till feb 1 my opinion sorry dont want to hurt feelings
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #635
TexasGuitar
Four Point

rbertman yeah I know what you're saying. People throw garbage and leave shells and stuff out there all the time, it sucks. I haven't left anything out there but I understand why it takes time to leave things to let the animals get used to it like blinds and stuff. Sorry I wasn't trying to stir up any hurt feelings either, its just I've read a lot about people losing stuff out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #636
TXarrow
Nubbin' Buck

Everyone I've talked to at the city says they go out and clean up after the season. I checked with them before I posted. I was hurt at work and I am on workers comp checks. I couldn't afford a deer lease this year. The only reason I put a blind out there was so my daughter could hunt with me. She has a hard time being still. I hunted that blind 4 to 5 times a week and never had anyone come by me or setup by it. About 2 to 3 weeks ago I started getting pics of guys walking thru there with shotguns and smoking and I have found beer cans. That is the kind of people that ruin our public hunting land. I should have took my blind then but I wasn't too worried because the blind and camera where free. It just bothers me that there are people that give us real hunters a bad name.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #637
rbertman
Eight Point

that is so true bad apples in every bunch no feelings hurt just gets old hearing that the park police are out there to help but tend to mess with the good ones
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #638
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Was out in the area V this afternoon on the west side of the river and found a "newer" looking tree stand made out of some 2X4's.... In a pecan tree roughly 15-20 ft up...had several big scraps all around it.... Anyone on the GS wanna calm hunting back there?

Either way that looks like a bada ss spot, was very curious if you had any luck out of the tree or saw any giants?

I personally hunted area IV other side of highway roughly 800-1000 yards from tree to tree wanted to see if if maybe you had a cam out in that area wanted to see if the same bucks were cruising through both spots. Would love to here from ya or anyone that hunted area V...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #639
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Any one turkey hunt opening day? Area 2 in particular?
Rut&Strut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #640
dgrant
Six Point

Anyone doing any pig hunting in the area? Im looking at going here pretty soon just looking ofr some pointers.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #641
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Play the Wind, use cake mix as a cheap attractant, and don't come under gunned.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #642
dgrant
Six Point

Lol what do you mean under gunned? I dint think you could hunt with anything but a bow out there? I plan to hunt from my mule with a bow I dont want to be on the ground with those things lol. Any recomendations as wheres a good place I have only hunted the back of 3 but I noticed a lot of routing in the front close to the parking place.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #643
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

With only 2 GW's for the fine county of Tom Green... I really don't think you have alot to worry about "The Man" getting you with a gun but to each their own. Areas 1 2 and 3 have great activity for hogs.... most don't stay on the lake property they stay on the private land around the lake until after dark then they venture on to TWR property but never to far from a fence hole. Best thing to tell ya is set up in an area near a fence hole with feed and a trail cam to figure out whats there or whats not there and try your best not to get smelt (meaning: what you planned on doing getting off the ground)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #644
dgrant
Six Point

Thank you sir will keep all this in mind. I have a nice side arm I might carry just in case.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #645
deerskin88
Nubbin' Buck

Default camping in the hunting areas

does anyone know if you can camp overnight in the hunting areas.
deerskin88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #646
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Anywhere you want.... Just be courtesy to those who may be hunting where you're wanting to camp
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #647
deerskin88
Nubbin' Buck

ya im from ohio and stationed in abilene. i will be nice until someone is not nice to me. we are camping in the same area that we are hunting. about a mile or two from our hunting areas. we got a nice 10 point on cam as well as an 8 point and a small 4. itchin to kill something. i got the fever.
deerskin88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #648
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Good to hear about seeing activity yeah you know just to a quick run around to make sure your not butting up near someone's setup, not to many people actually bowhunt out there and the ones who do are pretty far off the hidden path, but if you do run into someone chances are they are probably TBHer, hope to see ya out there... Have any questions or need help hit me up 325-374-0811!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #649
Bobcat07
Nubbin' Buck

I'm new to TBH and was hoping to get some info on TBR. I plan to spend Monday through Wednesday hunting (Sep 30 to Oct 2). I recently moved back to Texas from PA. I've never hunted Central Texas before and am short on scouting time. I mainly want to fill my tags. I'm thinking of getting a ghost blind as it is portable. Would a game cart come in handy? I plan to come down from Ft. Worth once a month until I have my fill. I usually sleep in my work and play trailer, but I am prepared to tent camp if necessary. Any info is appreciated.
Bobcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #650
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat07 View Post
I'm new to TBH and was hoping to get some info on TBR. I plan to spend Monday through Wednesday hunting (Sep 30 to Oct 2). I recently moved back to Texas from PA. I've never hunted Central Texas before and am short on scouting time. I mainly want to fill my tags. I'm thinking of getting a ghost blind as it is portable. Would a game cart come in handy? I plan to come down from Ft. Worth once a month until I have my fill. I usually sleep in my work and play trailer, but I am prepared to tent camp if necessary. Any info is appreciated.
Just come on down and find a nice spot. Ghost blind would be a good option since you have no time on the ground out here. There are nice animals out this way. You can set up a trailer out at Lake Nasworthy KOA and commute out. No rifles and be considerate of others, it will be a good hunt.

I would ask everyone to be mindful and take does/spikes to fill tags and let the young ones grow. By all means, if your trophy comes out... Schwack him!!!

Not meant for you specifically, but there are a lot of folks who hunt out here who are brown and down types. Frustrating to see folks dragging babies and 2 year old basket 8's out of the Buttes. Meat is meat, but I think people should treat public land like they would their own place, especially if you want to come back every year and see good deer. I rarely hunt out there even though it's in my back yard, but I like seeing nice animals crossing my property on their way to the firing squad.