Walk In Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk In Coolers

Lets talk walk in coolers. Any advice, tips and pictures are appreciated. I'm thinking 2x6 framing, tin on the outside with spray foam insulation. Not sure on interior walls yet. Concrete floor- include a drain to wash it out? Going to use a window unit but need ideas other than a $400 coolbot for a controller. They are neat, but dang overpriced. End game is to dry sausage using a dehumidifier and maybe age meat. Can I realistically cold smoke in the same unit, or should I build a smokehouse as well? Thinking the smokehouse should be cooled as well hence the reason to combine them. Growing up, all this was done in a wellhouse or garage when a good norther blew in and you had a run of sub 40 degree weather and super low humidity. Have to create that mechanically in Houston, especially lately.

I would build a separate smokehouse.

Comment

Build 2 different coolers. I thought the Cool Bots were reasonably priced. Don't know of anything else out there that works like they do.

Comment

Tagged. I’m thinking of doing something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I actually just completed doing a build, we did a 2x4 frame, then layered insulation outside the walls. 8 layers of Dow blue board, covered that in 3/8 plywood, then sheet metal on top. Go with the cool bot, it’s worth the money

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
            I actually just completed doing a build, we did a 2x4 frame, then layered insulation outside the walls. 8 layers of Dow blue board, covered that in 3/8 plywood, then sheet metal on top. Go with the cool bot, it’s worth the money
            What did you spend on it? Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              What did you spend on it? Got any pics?
              I have pics, but I can never get them to load. Spent around 4K all together

Comment

A window/wall unit (with mechanical controls) can easily be modified with a freeze stat and remote stat for less than 1/2 of a coolbot.

That said, I would recommend the coolbot

Comment

I built one 6 years ago, used 2x6 framing through out walls, floor and ceiling. Spray foamed it all, built a wood door that was spray foamed as well. Exterior edges of the door have garage door rubber gasket attached. Interior of the cooler is 8'x8'.
                  Entire cooler is on blocks off the ground by about a foot, with a wooden ramp into the cooler not steps.

Exterior is R panel over OSB, interior is PRB panel over OSB, exterior roof is metal, interior ceiling is painted OSB. Floor is aluminum that I had bent to go 6" up the walls behind the PRB panel. Cooler is slightly tilted towards the door, just washes out with a hose. The PRB panel cleans up easily, as well.

Have two hanging rails with meat trolleys, electric winch on a slide mount inside and above the front door with a pipe across the top of the door for the winch cable to slide on, when winching animals into the cooler. Winch also lifts animals up to the two hanging rails.