Tired of coons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of coons

After weeks of feeding the coons, I put out a trap this morning. I will go get the first one in the morning, I hope.

Kac

Comment

I checked my feeder downm in coleman a few weeks ago a coon managed to shut himself in my varmit cage !!~! those stupid cooons!!!!!!!!!!!

give us feedbacl on the coon trapping!

Comment

Originally posted by G5 montec View Post
        I checked my feeder downm in coleman a few weeks ago a coon managed to shut himself in my varmit cage !!~! those stupid cooons!!!!!!!!!!!

A feeder that traps coons? Sounds expensive....

Comment

Good luck ! Are you going with those live catch traps or kill traps on the coons ?
          I find it amazing just how many coons can be in a area. I never had more than 3 on trailcam at the feeder at one time, however 10 dead coons later... still getting 2-3 coons on the feeder...ughh !

Comment

the only answer is carnage. KAC

Comment

Originally posted by G5 montec View Post

That would be like a crook locking himself inside an "all you can eat buffet" place maybe?

And as far as numbers--I have one pic with either 12 or 13 at one feeder several years ago. My body count is up to 14 now and I only get an occasional picture. Will put the traps back out 1st week in September for a week, then pull them 'til after the season. Gonna work on their numbers year-round. Corn is way too expen$ive to feed them. My buddy calls them a "non-target species" (he's a vet and a wildlife disease guy) but I keep telling him any one that shows up under my feeder is a target species!
              Last edited by dustoffer; 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

6 down, but the live ones have gotten smart with the live traps.

Comment

Originally posted by baitcaster2009 View Post
                  the only answer is carnage. KAC
                  Very wise, two more kills this week.

Comment

35 coons killed last year in a 50 yard radius.

Comment

I killed one last spring with my bow. Recently reworked my varmit cage and added a 5" strip of 1/2" hardware cloth at spinner plate level. Latest TC pics show no coons hanging on the varmit cage so maybe they gave up or just went back to the drawing board to strategize

Comment

BT what is hardware cloth and where can I get some

Comment

Originally posted by rdkerrville View Post
                          BT what is hardware cloth and where can I get some
                          Asked smart this very same question as to the wire mesh on his cages... he mentioned that he got his from LOWES. Tomarrow... here we come ! I can't trap fast enough on my second set.

Comment

I'm still catching 1 a night. I had 6 in one picture last weekend and that was enough. I'm going to borrow a second trap and hopefully catch 2 a night. Its a good thing 22's are cheap.

Comment

Hardware cloth is welded wire mesh--but with smaller holes than you usually see on varmint cages. The disadvantage lies in the fact it stops most of the corn from flying and it falls straight down. With 1"x1" mesh, more gets spun out farther, but some still falls under the feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X