No announcement yet.

What is the cost of owning a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't work them to a lather every other day they are useless. A ATV with range cubes is better. Had horses as a kid that stayed on pasture and got a 1 lb can of oats and sweet feed a day. You won't get bit, stepped on, kicked, raked off on trees when they spook, or have to catch and saddle if you use a atv.
    If you can't work them they are useless. If you work them they are a great tool.

Comment

A good horse in the right hands is a money maker times 10. A horse in wrong hands will cost you ten times what they are worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigpiggy View Post
        It depends on the woman attached to the horse.
        Both of those are high maintenance [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

About this amount. This is my basic cost per year.

Purina grain 5 lbs/day $619
          Hay $473
          Horse Shoeing / Trimming $450
          Vet Bills $445
          Bedding - Wood Shavings $244
          Total $2,231

Ranchdog

Comment

About the cost of a good lease. Which is it gonna be a Good deer lease or a worthless horse.

Comment

If you have enough land to feed them initial cost is high, maintenance cost is reasonable. I have 4. Initial cost about 12 years ago was 20+K for trail horses and all related gear. Since then I doubt i spend 500.00 a year per horse but I have enough land to support them.

I have about 8 miles of open and wooded trails on my land. My wife never tires of it but it bores the hell outa me riding around just on my land. We do travel a lot though.

Comment

Like everyone has said , they are expensive , Time consuming , and you will need to have your vet on speed dial . If there`s a way a horse will colic , get cut or get hurt or get out just because . That being said , I really enjoyed my horses for the most part , but would I do it again , probably not

Comment

...and I thought own a boat was expensive. Run away fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy yourself a high dollar car or truck, it’s a whole lot cheaper. It’s scary how much money you can spend on those hayburners, if you want to be competitive $50k/yr is definitely on the low end. After they retire, $3-5000 per year easily. Listen to the voice of experience, don’t do it!

Comment

And no one has mentioned how much it will cost when it hurts you and it will hurt you. It's just a matter of time. It can be a long way to the ground from on top of a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        And no one has mentioned how much it will cost when it hurts you and it will hurt you. It's just a matter of time. It can be a long way to the ground from on top of a horse.

My dads a cowboy and I know it eats him up that my brother and I never took to it. He’s 56 and still goes to ropings, has covered riding arenas and roping pen with lights. I haven’t been on a horse in 25 years but after seeing what my dad went through I’m glad I didn’t. He’s had some pretty major injuries form those stupid things.

1. Broke nose from a black stallion that pawed him in the face.
                        2. Horse backed into a board with an old rusty nail that went an inch into his thigh.
                        3. Kicked by a horse he was brushing and broke three ribs that kicked him in his back. Had a bruise on his stomach 3 days later that looked terrible. Still has a scar on his back in the shape of half a horse shoe.
                        4. Dislocated ankle when training a horse and foot was caught in stirrup.
                        5. The latest one at around 54 was the worst. He was shoeing a horse and the horse kicked sideways and hit his knee and broke his kneecap and bone on the side of the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything that has been posted here can be said about your women also.

Comment

everything we do comes at a price if its your life style and your way of living life then life aint much without a horse cost depends on rather you are set up for a horse or not to me I cant remember a time I didnt have one I ride several times a week
                            I also enjoy doing arena events at the cowboy churches so a horse has to be part of your life just like hunting I am sure a lot of people think its a big wast of money and time

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
                              everything we do comes at a price if its your life style and your way of living life then life aint much without a horse cost depends on rather you are set up for a horse or not to me I cant remember a time I didnt have one I ride several times a week
                              I also enjoy doing arena events at the cowboy churches so a horse has to be part of your life just like hunting I am sure a lot of people think its a big wast of money and time
                              I agree with this.

I don’t really care how much a horse costs me. The whole family rides and the kids absolutely love them. My daughter would rather be on a horse than doing anything else. Both my kids compete in youth rodeo and we all love it and go as a family. Horses are just part of our lives and I would not change that

Comment

Working...
                              X