Spring/Summer Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring/Summer Food Plot

We are wanting to plant 3.5 acres this spring but weren’t sure what to plant. We’ve planted fall food plots the past two seasons and our pH is right at 8.0. I’ve talked with turner seed and they’ve been great. They recommended using the spring deer mix and the spring bird mix at 50/50. My question is that won’t all of the cowpeas die as soon as deer browse them once they are a couple inches tall? I wasn’t sure if there was another food plot you guys recommend we use for our high deer density area (Menard County) or if this is probably the best thing to use. Anyone use this in our area with any success? Also, I was told the spring deer mix wasn’t inoculated so do we just inoculate the entire bag of deer mix? If broadcasting, what rate would y’all recommend? I was told 30lbs/acre but that seems really low. I appreciate all of the input!

I plant at 50# per acre straight peas. If mixing with sunflower and such then yes back off rate. I’ve planted God only knows how many acre of cow peas and never inoculated any of them and get amazing stands

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      I plant at 50# per acre straight peas. If mixing with sunflower and such then yes back off rate. I’ve planted God only knows how many acre of cow peas and never inoculated any of them and get amazing stands
      X2 on not innoculating. It's never been necessary for me. If you have a high deer density, IC peas alone will probably be destroyed unless you have lots of desirable native browse. The earlier you can get them in, the better off you'll be because the deer will be eating the "spring greenup". When that's about gone, they will then proceed to mow your IC peas for you. I got away with it on a couple places with small plots, but another I didn't. I had two acres that lasted about six weeks. Try some sunn hemp in it and tell us how that works. I did that last year but the drought got my plots. May try it again this year, I haven't decided yet.

Comment

So should we plan on planting on April 1st? Also, would chicory or something else be better to plant that can take the grazing pressure rather than the Turner spring deer mix? Just curious as to what would be best. I know this will be a long shot anyway since it's a smaller plot - 3.5 acres. Thanks!

Comment

That size plot in that area will take a beating reguardless. It does ZERO good to plant something they don’t care to eat. Your best option will be all the tonnage you can grow and fence it off with electric fence. Peas and sunflowers will give you most to age and preference. Plant them and grow them while the deer have fresh young green forage to eat. Once mature enough to take pressure remove fence, maybe even only 1/3 or 1/2 to regulate feeding. Forage peas will keep sprouting leaves once bitten off.

Few times I’ve felt with chicory sucked. It’s drought tolerant to an extent but certainly not a preferred browse in my area and won’t make the tonnage you will need in that area

4 deer per acre will test even the best plots if it’s preferred

Comment

Soil Sample

Here's a soil sample we took in 2017. What kind of fertilizer would you guys add with the two Turner seed mixes and how many pounds per acre would you add? We fertilized around 150lbs/acre of 16-20-0 in October when planting the wheat and oats. Thanks!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Soil.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24568419

Comment

I would plant the largest area you can, even 10 acres plus. As mentioned, when there is native green, they will browse there. Mid June in 100* heat the deer will mow you cow peas down. A prime time for them to have high protein. I would go with cowpeas. If they mow it down they like it, does not benefit to have a crop 4 feet tall if they do not eat it.

Comment

The largest area we can plant is 3.5 acres because that's what we fenced in to prevent the cows from grazing. Would it be better if we only planted Sunn Hemp instead? I'm just afraid that 3.5 acres isn't large enough and the deer will just wipe it out. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  The largest area we can plant is 3.5 acres because that's what we fenced in to prevent the cows from grazing. Would it be better if we only planted Sunn Hemp instead? I'm just afraid that 3.5 acres isn't large enough and the deer will just wipe it out. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
                  I think you are right the deer will hammer you out
                  But I might be wrong

Comment

I have also had grasshoppers wipe me out on Peas. For me I turned to protein feeders for the spring summer. I couldn't make the plots provide enough for the work I had to put in and you got to have timely rain. It can done but I think you will kill yourself on 3.5 acres and not get much out of it with peas at least.

RD

Comment

No. Stick with peas and electric fence till mid to late June. Get em knee high at least

Comment

Working...
                      X