Fly fishing and fly rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly fishing and fly rods

I’m going to get a fly rod for an upcoming trip and I don’t go to fly fishing areas but once every couple of years. Is it possible to have a setup for salt and fresh?

Yes and No. If your going to be trying to target bass and reds/trout you can get by with a 6-8wt rod for both. However, if you're going to be targeting rainbows with a 3wt it will be way too light for saltwater fish.

I have a 5wt I used for trout in Colorado and bass fishing and an 8wt I use in the salt.

Comment

No problem in having a salt and a fresh water system. Generally speaking,a fresh water rod is smaller and lighter weight than a salt water rig.....any fly fishing shop will happily fix you up....just give them your credit card and sign the bottom of the last page of charges.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
        Yes and No. If your going to be trying to target bass and reds/trout you can get by with a 6-8wt rod for both. However, if you're going to be targeting rainbows with a 3wt it will be way too light for saltwater fish.

I have a 5wt I used for trout in Colorado and bass fishing and an 8wt I use in the salt.
        Ok my question, is a 5wt on the heavy side?

Comment

Is there any GOOD fly shops around the Katy/Houston area?

Comment

Heavy side for fresh water? 5wt is smaller than 8wt. You can easily use an 8wt for bass and saltwater. Some of the bass flies can be kinda large.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
              Orvis, gordy and sons, maybe FTU (haven't been),bass pro in a pinch. I know there's at least one or two more but that's all I can think of right now.

Comment

Heavy side for fresh water? 5wt is smaller than 8wt. You can easily use an 8wt for bass and saltwater. Some of the bass flies can be kinda large.
                Sorry, I meant to say heavy for rainbows.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say heavy for rainbows.
                  It's a little heavy, but I was able to easily use nymphs and dry caddis. Fortunately the trout I was finding were a little larger still putting up a good fight on the 5wt.
                  Last edited by stxhunter; 11-19-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

How much are you wanting to spend?

Find the best Freshwater Fishing Gear at Gordy and Sons. We offer everything for your fishing needs, including rods and reels, flies, clothing and accessories.

Both Cabelas and Bass Pro have sales on fly combos right now. They're perfect if you don't wan't to spend a lot at the moment.

Comment

I’m going to get a fly rod for an upcoming trip and I don’t go to fly fishing areas but once every couple of years. Is it possible to have a setup for salt and fresh?
                      I agree with stxhunter on your intent. I don’t see much difference in using the same equipment when targeting bass or specks. I use the same rigs for both, usually a 7wt. I have gone as high as a 9wt for saltwater and and low as a 5wt in fresh.

If you are going after some small stream fish or panfish like bluegills, you might want to go down to a lighter setup. Those light weight outfits won’t do so well in salt mainly because (at least me) the use of bigger flies and likely more wind. It is hard to cast a 5 inch streamer in the wind with a 4wt flyrod.

Comment

Originally posted by NewTexian View Post
                        How much are you wanting to spend?

Find the best Freshwater Fishing Gear at Gordy and Sons. We offer everything for your fishing needs, including rods and reels, flies, clothing and accessories.

Both Cabelas and Bass Pro have sales on fly combos right now. They're perfect if you don't wan't to spend a lot at the moment.
                        I’m going to try Gordy and Son’s on Tuesday, if they’re open.

Comment

Perfectly said right here. I follow the exact same line of thought.

Comment

How much are you wanting to spend? Where do you do most of your fishing?

After going through yellostones reviews I went with the Fenwick Aetos (found for under $100). Casts much better than expected at its price point. You can look through some reviews here https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ton-air-sage-x.

If budget isn't a concern there are LOTS of good options out there, but don't feel like you NEED to spend big $$ to get in to fly fishing.

When your at Gordy's check out their casting pond up front with peacock bass!
                            Last edited by stxhunter; 11-19-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I am refreshing this thread to find more information. I know I sent a message to SwampRabbit this morning and he responded, but I ca't read it now. (Can't view PM'S?)
                              So,
                              Question to the fly fishing folks.
                              About a year ago I bought the cheapest combo I could get my hands on (maybe a 25.00 deal via Ebay) to try it out. I have really enjoyed and started tying some of my own flies. Not to hard to learn to make okay flies, but I have a long way to go to make real good ones.
                              The point here is this.
                              I would like to get better set-up without just going crazy. Budget is going to be between 100-200, and if I can get a decent quality for less that would be great, as I don't mind buying used as long as I know what to look for.
                              My target is basically going to be Bluegill and sandbass, but occasionally I may try to fish for some decent bass in the 4-5 # range.
                              Looking for suggestions on wt and brand to seek out.

Comment

Working...
                              X