Things that effect your accuracy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that effect your accuracy.....

I've been shooting this recurve since (I think) about 2015 when I bought it from 60deluxe, and I love it. All that time I've had hurdles that got in the way and for months at a time I've stopped due to lack of progress. Turns out it's not been the bow, or arrows or any of the "static" gear.... it's 100% been me and the environment I've been shooting in. For years we've struggled with bills, car/truck issues, and the new job started in 17 that chucked me for a loop mentally and physically. At one point my blood pressure was darn near twice what it should have been and my wife was begging me to go to the hospital. It was all environmental.

Now we're in a great place financially. The job is extremely pleasurable and has gotten exponentially easier. So I've had time to focus on the little things with my shooting like shot sequence and a standard/steady anchor. Release is nice and clean. Now I'm not saying I'm on par with any of ya'll on here (yet) but I'm improving daily and when a shot flies a bit I can tell what I did wrong at the moment of release.

Not looking for kudos or anything here but just wanted to point out to some of the newer trad guys that sometimes you need to look at what's going on off the target range and see what in your environment may be causing your progress to stall or stop. Never really thought about it until today when I was shooting at the extreme range in my yard (maybe 28 yards for me, I haven't measured it) that archery, especially trad, requires a whole body concept to be done well. Mind, body, gear all have to be in line. If even one of those is off at all your shooting will be as well. For me it was all mental and stress related that made me unable to focus. I was shooting and thinking about all the things that I needed to make right for my family/job instead of on the target.

Keep your mind right folks. This is supposed to add pleasure to life, not stress.
    Richard.
    Last edited by Junkers88; 08-23-2019, 04:03 PM.

Most often, it's not the Arrow, but rather the Indian.

Comment

*affect

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        *affect
        thanks

Comment

Crown and Modelo . . . .[emoji849]

Gary

Comment

I appreciate the post. Work is hard, i have a 7 week old and 2 year old, and just put my house on the market. It's been hard to relax and shoot my bow. And all right before deer season!! But life is good and God is good. Hopefully, deer season will be enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by tx trad archery View Post
              most often, it's not the arrow, but rather the indian.
              lol

Comment

Rotation of the earth, wind, sun in my eyes, glare, sore fingers, tight muscles, distracted mind. That's just in the first few shots.

Honestly though, I have a terrible habit of letting go of the string a fraction of a second too soon. When I can control that, things come together and most of the shots hit the kill zone. It is very easy to be distracted. Some times I think that we have done the shot sequence so many times that we just expect to make a good shot. Not so. I can rehash the shot in my mind and know exactly what I did wrong and it is almost always something to do with a lack of total concentration.

Glad to hear that you are still shooting the old Grizzly.

Comment

I have the same issue as Brad, releasing a fraction of a second too soon. I know how to do it right but I don't always get it right. It does come down to total concentration in my opinion. As much as I would like to think it is automatic, it is not with me. I still have to concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                  X