Hit the Lottery!! NM Elk Archery Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
    So I spent about an hour "lurking" after creating an account... Haha but you were right, there's a LOT of knowledge on that page! Thanks again for that tip! Much appreciated
    The closer it gets to September, the better it will get............

Comment

The usual stuff: be in better than excellent physical shape, have a good plan/backup plan for getting an animal out fast or cool it down (can be very warm in September), pack light, have good gear.
      -If your going to be hunting miles from base camp, bring your stuff to pack the elk out with you. (also lots of ground pepper will help keep flies off meat)
      -Don't just hunt one area if your not seeing/hearing elk. Cover a lot of ground until you find them. Fresh sign of a herd will look like a herd of cattle tore the ground up.
      -If you can go scout in August do so. Mark wallows and watering holes, ect. But also mark areas where you see a lot of older rubs, those may help identify areas they will use when the rut picks up.
      -Know how to call and what those calls are saying (bugle and cow). I recommend the Roe hunting resources videos. They helped a lot my first trip.
      -Also, if your in a mountainous area and hear a bugle close to you...the bull is probably closer than you think.

Good Luck!
      I wish I was going this year but we are expecting our first child at the beginning of October! Maybe next year

Comment

Man, that really is hitting the lottery. Congratulations!

I looked at the odds for one particular draw a few years back, and ended up not even trying for it.

Comment

Congrats!!! I got a cow tag in Wyoming this year!!! So Im pumped about that! 2 years ago hunted the same spot for a Bull so its going to be an awesome trip. Just make the best of every moment. Oh and hop on a elliptical unless you are beyond fit. I am still training for my trip in September, but am about 10 years older then you and life has a funny way of making you gain weight in your 40's whether you like it or not.

Comment

That's early!

Probably won't be talking much yet.. Find some good remote water holes.. Bulls should be on their own probably.. Do some late summer scouting

That's a solid unit, never rifle hunted..

Comment

congrats
              I got lucky too and drew unit 37

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                congrats
                I got lucky too and drew unit 37
                Has elk as big as the ones in the highest demand units just not as many. I'm sure you have a guide to get that draw?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                    The usual stuff: be in better than excellent physical shape, have a good plan/backup plan for getting an animal out fast or cool it down (can be very warm in September), pack light, have good gear.
                    -If your going to be hunting miles from base camp, bring your stuff to pack the elk out with you. (also lots of ground pepper will help keep flies off meat)
                    -Don't just hunt one area if your not seeing/hearing elk. Cover a lot of ground until you find them. Fresh sign of a herd will look like a herd of cattle tore the ground up.
                    -If you can go scout in August do so. Mark wallows and watering holes, ect. But also mark areas where you see a lot of older rubs, those may help identify areas they will use when the rut picks up.
                    -Know how to call and what those calls are saying (bugle and cow). I recommend the Roe hunting resources videos. They helped a lot my first trip.
                    -Also, if your in a mountainous area and hear a bugle close to you...the bull is probably closer than you think.

Good Luck!
                    I wish I was going this year but we are expecting our first child at the beginning of October! Maybe next year

Dave, great info! Thanks
                    We don't have any kids yet, which makes this a little more special knowing It'll be a looooong time before I get to do it again

Originally posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
                    Man, that really is hitting the lottery. Congratulations!

I looked at the odds for one particular draw a few years back, and ended up not even trying for it.
                    Yea I think I remember running the numbers and it was like a 16% chance of hitting. I'm definitely going to make the most of this draw

Originally posted by Heckmonkey View Post
                    Congrats!!! I got a cow tag in Wyoming this year!!! So Im pumped about that! 2 years ago hunted the same spot for a Bull so its going to be an awesome trip. Just make the best of every moment. Oh and hop on a elliptical unless you are beyond fit. I am still training for my trip in September, but am about 10 years older then you and life has a funny way of making you gain weight in your 40's whether you like it or not.

Haha yea I've already been doing long walks with packs but should definitely hit the hills

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                    That's early!

Probably won't be talking much yet.. Find some good remote water holes.. Bulls should be on their own probably.. Do some late summer scouting

That's a solid unit, never rifle hunted..

I'm going to try getting over there within the next month and take the wife (she hunts too) just to start learning the area maybe camp and do some walking and see how the altitude affects me. I'll also get with the locals and try finding area maps

Thanks guys

Comment

Ohhh and being that this Unit seems to be hit or miss sometimes (fewer numbers but bigger bulls)

Should I hire a guide or get with an outfitter!?!? I really want to keep costs down, which is the whole point of waiting on a draw tag but I don't mind spending some extra cash to bring someone along that is knowledgeable of the area...

Thoughts?

Comment

Congrats and good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                          Ohhh and being that this Unit seems to be hit or miss sometimes (fewer numbers but bigger bulls)

Should I hire a guide or get with an outfitter!?!? I really want to keep costs down, which is the whole point of waiting on a draw tag but I don't mind spending some extra cash to bring someone along that is knowledgeable of the area...

Thoughts?
                          I've done solo and an outfitter drop camp. Ive never used or been a big fan of guides, but to each his own. The drop camp was worth the money... Sleeping on a cot in a wall tent does worlds when your hunting hard for 8 days straight. Also we where hunting 8+ miles from the nearest road, so we needed horses to pack out the meat for us (also well worth the money).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                            I've done solo and an outfitter drop camp. Ive never used or been a big fan of guides, but to each his own. The drop camp was worth the money... Sleeping on a cot in a wall tent does worlds when your hunting hard for 8 days straight. Also we where hunting 8+ miles from the nearest road, so we needed horses to pack out the meat for us (also well worth the money).

I completely agree, we'd much rather do this alone. Definitely more rewarding when you pull it off. I'm interested in this drop camp... You remember how much that ran you with a horse haul out by chance!? We will be there for 8 solid days of hunting. I'm kind of like you and would like a nice base camp for the down time at night

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X