No announcement yet.

Accubond Long Range Bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used them but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the accubond LR bullets. Winchester loads them in factory ammo you may try and run them down and try them out before you get some bullets and go through the trouble of loading them etc... I just wouldn't buy much of the Winchester stuff because Winchester ammo sucks at consistency.

Comment

We shot the Accubond LR's in 7mm extensively for long range target and for hunting. They can be very accurate but are sensitive to seating depth. Advertised BC's proved pretty accurate out to 1100.

Hunting we never got a exit on a hog and often got no exit on deer either, this was rarely a problem because the animals just dropped. Last year I shot a large bodied Axis buck at 275 yards impact was lower that desired but still took out the heart. I got no exit and we never found a drop of blood in the 80 yards the buck ran, we found him on sheer luck. While cleaning we found a small portion of jacket from the boat-tail, I would guess weight retention was about 10 grains total....

We switched back to the standard Accubond after that, it is a tougher bullet and the extra BC of the LR version is simply not needed inside of 450 yards IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
        Some of these comments seem to be confusing the Accubond LR with the original Accubond. I was researching this myself yesterday cause I was thinking about trying some of the .270 150 gr Accubond Long Ranges in my 270.

The original Accubond is a tried and tried deep penetrating bullet that I personally like. They’ve always performed excellent in my 270, 257 and ‘06. Their BC isn’t all that great but they do what they’re intended to do... kill stuff.

The Accubond LR was kind of the first generation of ELD-X, high BC bullet designed to kill stuff at long range. The problem was that their initial BC was wildly overstated and, as a result, they didn’t fly as advertised at ranges of 1000+. They recently verified and revised their BCs, which are pretty close to similarly weighted Bergers and ELD-Xs.

Now the problem I’ve read is that, because they’re intended to be expand at a 1000 yards where velocity and energy is substantially reduced, they tend to come apart at high velocities when you shoot at something in the 100-200 yard range. That’s just what I’ve read... no real world experience. I’m still thinking I might try those .270 150s on some paper and hogs this offseason and see what happens.
        You caught that to. I was just sorting through the post and anything that didn’t match I skipped. I have a ton of hogs on my lease to field test and plan on loading some up to test. Figured if they test on pigs good, I’ll spend more time truly dialing them in for long range.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
          I haven't used them but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the accubond LR bullets. Winchester loads them in factory ammo you may try and run them down and try them out before you get some bullets and go through the trouble of loading them etc... I just wouldn't buy much of the Winchester stuff because Winchester ammo sucks at consistency.
          I’ve never had great luck either with Winchester ammo. I use their cases for 300 WSM and their primers for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
            I’ve never had great luck either with Winchester ammo. I use their cases for 300 WSM and their primers for everything else.
            I have thought long and hard about buying the Winchester factory loads with the accubonds and LRs to try out in my 7mm Rem Mag. I am setting it up for longer ranges and I just cant bring myself to justify paying that much for a factory load that I am pretty sure will have some pretty large standard deviations in velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              We shot the Accubond LR's in 7mm extensively for long range target and for hunting. They can be very accurate but are sensitive to seating depth. Advertised BC's proved pretty accurate out to 1100.

Hunting we never got a exit on a hog and often got no exit on deer either, this was rarely a problem because the animals just dropped. Last year I shot a large bodied Axis buck at 275 yards impact was lower that desired but still took out the heart. I got no exit and we never found a drop of blood in the 80 yards the buck ran, we found him on sheer luck. While cleaning we found a small portion of jacket from the boat-tail, I would guess weight retention was about 10 grains total....

We switched back to the standard Accubond after that, it is a tougher bullet and the extra BC of the LR version is simply not needed inside of 450 yards IMO.
              I'm thinking the same thing with most of my deer shots at less that 400 yards. I have a new custom rifle shooting 1 inch consistently at 300 yards. Still need to complete load work up with the load.

I made 4 head shots this week at 120-200 yards and a shoulder shot at 410 with a 143 ELD-X with a MV of 2610. These were two small WT doe (80ish pounds), two hogs (120 and 150) and a Fallow spike (105). The Fallow was at 410 broadside and no pass through. Perfect hit and I saw him go down within 20 yards of the hit.

I've tried the Bergers, ABLR and now the ELD-X with similar results. A good shot equals a dead animal very quickly...but if they run you won't likely have a blood trail.

In looking at the ballistic charts, the extra BC is really nice on the little creed due to low MV but in reality it makes little difference under 400 yards on an animal.

I'm thinking of going back to the original AB for most of my hunting and will develop a target load with Bergers for the creed.

I'm planning a big 30 build and while fascinated by the 215 Berger will give high consideration to the 200 grain Nos AB.

Comment

I'm using the 175 grain LRAB in 28 Nosler. Killed an elk in October, shot at 70 yds, bullet broke a rib on entrance and rib on exit, punched straight thru, destroyed lungs and heart, so couldn't ask for better performance. Bullet was moving 3100 fps.

Comment

I've had great luck with ELD-X and with Barnes TTSX. A little more expensive for the copper Barnes but have yet to recover a bullet. They just keep going

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    I'm planning a big 30 build and while fascinated by the 215 Berger will give high consideration to the 200 grain Nos AB.
                    I've been impressed with the 215 Hybrid but have taken only 2 deer with it. The first was a perfect lung shot at just under 200 yards, good expansion. The 2nd was at 508 yards and I center punched both shoulder bones leaving a huge exit hole. Neither bullet was recovered. MV is 2915 out of a 300WSM with .230 freebore and a 30" tube.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                      I bought some in 7 mag and 300 mag, and both suck for accurancy. Not impressed woth these at all, and they are expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                        I bought some in 7 mag and 300 mag, and both suck for accurancy. Not impressed woth these at all, and they are expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        If you are referring to the Winchester ammo you have felt the burn of their inconsistencies. The load might be advertised as 3000fps but within one box you may get a round that shot 2875 and on that shot 3100 very inconsistent.

Comment

Working...
                        X