German Shepherd help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Shepherd help

We have a female Shepherd we got at 8 weeks old. She is now around 5 months old.

We have worked hard at house training her - she has come a long way - we take her out regularly and give her a treat when she does her business.

But she still has mistakes in the house on occasion. What is the typical time frame it takes until they start letting you know they have to go out (going to the door, etc.?) and become totally house trained? Are we expecting too much too early? Thanks

Be patient………
    G.S. are very smart....

Comment

this what i did with my lab,, hang a bell on the door knob ( low enought she can reach it), every time you take her our ring the bell, and at night put her in a crate that is just big enough for her, dogs dont like to sleep in there own crap, leave her outside for about 20 minutes before bed time, also when she does her business repeat the word potty while she is doing her business, it does take a while but it works, even my yorkie rings the bell when he wants to go out. be patient

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
        We have a female Shepherd we got at 8 weeks old. She is now around 5 months old.

We have worked hard at house training her - she has come a long way - we take her out regularly and give her a treat when she does her business.

But she still has mistakes in the house on occasion. What is the typical time frame it takes until they start letting you know they have to go out (going to the door, etc.?) and become totally house trained? Are we expecting too much too early? Thanks
        Owned a ton of dogs in my life, most dogs are usually are trained by then but every dog is different. She is still young so I would give it another 3 months. At 8-9 months old the dog should be able to hold her bladder and gut (unless she ate something bad or is sick) for its max duration. Another question to ask yourself is if your letting her out enough or have her in a routine to were she gets used to doing her business when she is outside or training. I know that sounds simple but you would be surprised how many people think they are, but in reality are not letting their dog out enough. If your dog has anxiety issue (just like humans can before interviews, dates, ect..) she may just get nervous and just let go on accident. If thats the case I wouldn't punish her as it will make it worse. However to me it sounds like this problem has got substantial better since she was a puppy, I would give her more time as she is still developing!

-Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          Be patient………
          G.S. are very smart....
          ^

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
            this what i did with my lab,, hang a bell on the door knob ( low enought she can reach it), every time you take her our ring the bell, and at night put her in a crate that is just big enough for her, dogs dont like to sleep in there own crap, leave her outside for about 20 minutes before bed time, also when she does her business repeat the word potty while she is doing her business, it does take a while but it works, even my yorkie rings the bell when he wants to go out. be patient
            great idea on the bell - thanks for all the advise from everyone

Comment

My GSD was house trained by that point(not completely trusted and never out of our sight) Do you keep the dog in a kennel?

Comment

We rescued a 8 week old dutch shepherd that someone dumped in the country. We crate trained her for the first couple weeks that we had her. Since then no accidents in the house. She is now 7 months old. No accidents in the house since she was a month old. Great dog! I have crate trained all my dogs and highly recommend it to all dogs owners that are going to allow their dogs in the house.

Comment

Both of my GSD’s were completely house trained at 3-4 months. They are insanely intelligent dogs. But, as others have said, all pups are different. Pay close attention if she is going to the door or whining to go out. One of ours learned to scratch at the door and whine at 3 months. The other would just go stand and stare at the door when he needed to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smvjr1 View Post
                    We rescued a 8 week old dutch shepherd that someone dumped in the country. We crate trained her for the first couple weeks that we had her. Since then no accidents in the house. She is now 7 months old. No accidents in the house since she was a month old. Great dog! I have crate trained all my dogs and highly recommend it to all dogs owners that are going to allow their dogs in the house.
                    She is crate trained - I think we will get there with her -

Comment

We’ve got two female GS. One used the bathroom in the house for a couple weeks tops. The other has never used the bathroom inside. We got them both at 8 weeks, and consider ourselves extremely lucky in that regard. Now the older one has had an emergency in the middle of the night once, but that’s my fault. She tried waking me, but I didn’t take notice.

Comment

When she was a puppy how did you handle it when she used the bathroom in the house?

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                          When she was a puppy how did you handle it when she used the bathroom in the house?
                          If we caught her while doing it we would just say NO over and over and take her outside to the area she uses in the yard -

If we just found out later she had peed then we did nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            If we caught her while doing it we would just say NO over and over and take her outside to the area she uses in the yard -

If we just found out later she had peed then we did nothing
                            It might be time to increase the discipline more than just no. The ones I house trained I did start them younger but it might be worth a try. If she does it whether you see her do it or not rub her nose all in it and don’t beat her but spank her a few times and put her outside for a while. That’s how I’ve done all mine and even for puppies it never took them one or two times to realize that they gotta go outside to do it

Comment

5 months and still going in the house? That's crazy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X