CJ 7 Shackle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CJ 7 Shackle Question

I’m In the process of putting a new lift and new shackles on and saw that the shackles appear to be a bit torqued in when tightening the bolts to 24lbs. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? It looks like the tube in the middle is causing it but I can’t figure out what I’d do different to keep that from happening and stay at the right bolt torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure that shackle is for the front? The rear shackles are wider than the front. From the way it’s bending in it looks like that could be your problem.

Comment

That ain’t right! I’m thinking you got YJ shackles for your CJ because YJ are wider

Comment

They’re definitely front shackles, but I do wonder if they dropped the wrong tube in the box. I could see this one maybe fitting the YJ springs not CJ. The box is marked CJ but who knows.

Comment

Something is wrong, your spring is a different width than the hanger. Looks like it has the wider 2.5" hanger swap.

Comment

Don't remember the spring dims (2"?) but the Cj shackles tapered in to make up the difference from the frame pocket to the spring width. Yj springs were wider. You could change the rear spring hanger and widen the springs. Or just get the right shackles.

Comment

Wrong shackles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Danger danger Phil Robinson wrong parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                  Don't remember the spring dims (2"?) but the Cj shackles tapered in to make up the difference from the frame pocket to the spring width. Yj springs were wider. You could change the rear spring hanger and widen the springs. Or just get the right shackles.

CJ fronts are 2” spring and hanger, there is no step in the shackle.

YJ springs are 2-1/2 front and rear.

Comment

CJ 7 Shackle Question

After looking at your pics your hanger does look wider which is odd. Have those been changed?

Comment

Since this is a bit of a frankenjeep and I have no idea what all the previous owner did on a lot of things, I just double checked to make sure it didn’t have the YJ spring conversion, but the new springs (CJ) match the old ones. However, the middle tube in the shackle is 2.5” not 2” like the springs. Guess I need to get ahold of daystar and get a new tube. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact they are tow shackles instead of just regular shackles.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        CJ fronts are 2” spring and hanger, there is no step in the shackle.

YJ springs are 2-1/2 front and rear.

Can I run these shackles without the spacer at all?

Comment

Originally posted by uttlc View Post
                          Can I run these shackles without the spacer at all?

How wide is your spring hanger?

Comment

CJ 7 Shackle Question

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            How wide is your spring hanger?

2 inches. The shackles are the daystar tow shackles which are .75” lift. I’m thinking I might just cut the spacer down to 2 inches

Comment

Originally posted by uttlc View Post
                              2 inches. The shackles are the daystar tow shackles which are .75” lift. I’m thinking I might just cut the spacer down to 2 inches

That’s what I would do

Comment

Working...
                              X