Another kayak guidance thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another kayak guidance thread!

Ok, still no purchase but I may be able to stop on the way down to south padre and look at a few. I have a list of finalists plus a new name I would love an opinion on.

1. hobie proangler 14 360 drive

2 . Hobie outback mirage 180

3. Jackson big rig fdhd

4. Slayer max 12.5

5. Kaku Zulu—this is the kicker. Looks like a sweet little boat and light! If my main goal was the coast I would really love this little boat. I worry about it on big lakes.

That’s where I am at. As always, any input is appreciated!

Doc, I’ve got the Big Rig. I’m big. Like 350 big. I can stand up and fish out of it no problem. I can go through 3” of water and not drag. I’m sure there are faster and more maneuverable yaks, but for stability, can’t imagine one being better.

Comment

If I had your list and could afford any one of them on it, I would go with number 1 and never look back.
      Nothing worse than buyers remorse!

Comment

I would make the choice to fit my needs. I like the pro angler because it’s big and stable but loading it in my truck every time would be a pain. The hobie compass was less expensive and appeared to be more manageable to load. The money saved could also be spent on aceessories. Right now I have a town and country predator which i like but have been looking to upgrade. Don’t know if I should get a new kayak or The Mathews VXR bow.

Comment

Originally posted by CCJROCK View Post
          I would make the choice to fit my needs. I like the pro angler because it’s big and stable but loading it in my truck every time would be a pain. The hobie compass was less expensive and appeared to be more manageable to load. The money saved could also be spent on aceessories. Right now I have a town and country predator which i like but have been looking to upgrade. Don’t know if I should get a new kayak or The Mathews VXR bow.
          Have you shot the mathews traverse? I have a traverse and a vxr. I enjoy the traverse much more. Much more comfortable to shoot and my head settles in to perfect position. It seems quieter to me. Both are great bows, I just like the traverse better!

Comment

I looked at the traverse but I liked the accessories on the vxr like the integrated rest. I still shoot my drenalin so anything new would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by CCJROCK View Post
              I looked at the traverse but I liked the accessories on the vxr like the integrated rest. I still shoot my drenalin so anything new would be better.
              Traverse has the integrated rest as well.

Comment

I’ll have to take another look. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                  Ok, still no purchase but I may be able to stop on the way down to south padre and look at a few. I have a list of finalists plus a new name I would love an opinion on.

3. Jackson big rig fdhd

4. Slayer max 12.5

5. Kaku Zulu—this is the kicker. Looks like a sweet little boat and light! If my main goal was the coast I would really love this little boat. I worry about it on big lakes.

Doc - I believe that Kaku Zulu is going to cost me some money. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

We leave for South Padre a week from tomorrow so don’t think I can get it done before this trip but that kayak would work perfect for me down there.

Comment

well, just seeing this one, and was asking for an update.

Comment

Doc, have you looked at all at the Wilderness Systems Radar 135? Reason I ask is I recently bought my wife a kayak, the Tarpon 105 model and she wants me to get one now so I can go with her. I am interested in doing that but while hers can easily be fished from, the Radar is more conducive to the kind of fishing up here I would want to do. For my needs I would also probably get the Radar 115 but if you have not looked at the 135, it might be worth taking a look at it.
                      A lot of them are hard to find right now since Covid-19 shut down production for a lot of companies.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post

3. Jackson big rig fdhd

4. Slayer max 12.5

Have never heard of or seen that Kaku Zulu but it looks very good IMO. I like that design and that chair looks insanely comfortable. Now to find a dealer

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          Have never heard of or seen that Kaku Zulu but it looks very good IMO. I like that design and that chair looks insanely comfortable. Now to find a dealer

Austin Kayak sells them. Out of stock though.

Been watching YouTube videos about the Kaku Kulu all afternoon. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

How is the Wilderness ATAK 140 good? I hear its good for big guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                              Doc - I believe that Kaku Zulu is going to cost me some money. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

We leave for South Padre a week from tomorrow so don’t think I can get it done before this trip but that kayak would work perfect for me down there.
                              That Zulu is a sweet looking little boat. I could see it at home on the sand flats down at padre. I don’t know how it would be on a big lake. If I was shallow water saltwater fishing and specifically fly fishing I would buy one. I showed my wife the more paddleboard version with a seat. Would be great for her. Pretty sure I’m going to end up with a tank—either the big rig or proangler.

Comment

Working...
                              X