Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were your kids when you first took them hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old were your kids when you first took them hunting?

My oldest boy is 4 and i will bring him to the lease later this season. Hunting will be low priority, the main goal will be to build camp fires and go exploring, that kind of thing. Just curious what everybody else does.

Still in wife's belly when mine started going.

Same with fishing.

Comment

They starting going to the rifle blind with me at 4. Some of the hunts were short though. iPads helped out a lot

Comment

When he got out of diapers.

Comment

Mine was 5 when she started setting in the blind with me

Comment

Took my oldest son to the blind when he was just over a year old. He threw Cheerios out of the window. A spike came by not 30 minutes later and ate every single Cheerio.

Comment

Started taking Thomas hunting at 4. Took coloring books for entertainment. Never about killing anything when you have the young one with you tho. Dad started taking me when I was 4 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine has been going to camp since she was 8 months old. Made her first hunt at ~20 months. Can't wait to get her back in the stand this year. Snacks, games and ear protection are definitely on the list when we go!

Comment

As a kid, I was an avid outdoorsman and was heavily involved in both hunting and fishing. I lost my taste for hunting after I got out of the Army, but beginning with my son's 9th birthday, I told him if he ever wanted to go hunting I would take him. Every year on his birthday, I'd repeat my offer, and every year he would just look at me like I was crazy. Finally, when he turned 16, he decided he wanted to go hunting. We were lucky enough to learn about the TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program), and his first hunt was a dove hunt. Later that season, he was selected for a deer hunt on a private ranch and he harvested the 2 does within 30 minutes of each other. He now has the hunting bug big time. Unfortunately, I'm really getting too old for the field, but I suck it up and go with him as I know how much he enjoys hunting (he just turned 21 last Sunday).

Regards,

Dave

PS - the photos are of his first does, and a nice 10 point he took last year.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Double-O-Dave; 11-01-2018, 08:16 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                    Started taking Thomas hunting at 4. Took coloring books for entertainment. Never about killing anything when you have the young one with you tho. Dad started taking me when I was 4 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Agreed...it was more “sitting & watching” rather than “hunting”....but mine were 3 & 1.....

Comment

Long story short: My brother and I took our sons, ages 5 and 6, to our lease near Florence for their first hunt in 1978. Camped in a pole barn and it was extremely cold. We put the boys in two sleeping bags each and we stayed up all night keeping the wood stove going. We even burned most of our building material when firewood ran out. Boys woke up the next morning raring to go and surprised at how well they slept. They were ready to do it again the next night, but instead, we ended up in a motel in Belton eating KFC fried chicken. Very few deer sighted due to their constant questions and movement, but I wouldn't change a thing if I could. Great memories.

Comment

I started taking my daughter, when she started asking to go.

I think she was about 4 or so.

We would get to the blind with an armload of stuff, and a backpack crammed full of snacks and goodies to keep her occupied and entertained. Most sits would be maybe around 2 hours.

Now, she'll go off on her own. She'll even go sit out there on her own at night to drop some pigs and other pests (raccoons).

I started going out with Dad, as soon as I was able to walk a ways. Maybe 2-3. He has a lot of funny stories about me playing with hot wheels cars while we were out hunting.

Comment

Son was in the blind at 3 with hot chocolate and plenty of snacks.

Comment

Had my little girl in the blind with us last year before she turned 1. Its going to be quite a bit more difficult this year with her walking and being restless, but now she loves animals so we'll see how it goes. She'll likely be screaming "DEER" at the deer when they come out, but those are memories I can not wait to make!

Comment

Been taking mine to the lease since about 9 months old. Starting sitting in the stand with me at 3 years old, this is his 4th year hunting with me. Hope to get him on a hog, and possibly a doe, next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X