Wyoming wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming wind

Anyone with any experience tent camping in early October for pronghorn? I’ve heard that tents are not the best option due to wind etc. Was thinking it may be better to rent a utility trailer but don’t want to spend the dough if not necessary. Just looking for others experience on the plains in a tent. Any advice would be appreciated.

zero experience in the wyoming or pronghorn genre, but thought about sleeping in bed of truck? done this several times. couple cheap king size comforters, nice sleeping bag will keep you warm. bungee or ratchet strap a tarp over the bed and tailgate (if no bed cover) and park into the wind. warm, dry, no wind.

Comment

I never tent camped, but I've spent several days in a pop up in late September. The wind can be brutal at times. I remember one day thinking that it was gonna fly away at any minute. I had stakes in all corners and each side, plus tie downs on the wind side. I even had my backpack hanging on the frame on the inside. It shuddered and quivered all day but it held. I would think a good tent, well staked would be ok.

Comment

I've built in Cheyenne quite a bit. I have witnessed the wind turn over pot-a-potties and office trailers. Not sure I'd want to be in a travel trailer. Back of a vehicle may be best.

Comment

Tent camped twice in the fall in Wyoming. Like Drycreek said, get a good tent, replace the flimsy stakes that usually come with them with something longer and meatier and then guy it out as well and the tent will work just fine.

Comment

Look at getting a camper shell. That's what I do for winters, then summer I take it off. Keeps snow out, wind out, heats up fast, STAYS DRY, you can set up a chair to sit in, just in general make the hunt 100% nicer. They also make roll up fabric camper shells for 1/3 the price.

I would rather sleep in my truck bed with a cap than a tent any day. Spent a couple windy nights at LBJ grasslands this spring in my truck chasing turkeys.

Comment

The wind up here that time of year is going to be hit or miss. A few years ago, before I got a truck camper a buddy of mine and I stayed in a tent while Antelope hunting. We had a wind storm come through one night that literally laid the tent over to where the sides of it were laying over the top of me. It was a miserable night for sure but only lasted the one night.
              More often than not we are going to have decent weather that time of year but if given the choice, I would sleep in my bed of my truck under a topper if you don't want to spend the money on a trailer.

Comment

Hunted the Casper area more than once. Wind can be a issue, We had a canvas wall tent and had no problems. Just watch your camp fire !! LOL

Comment

Thanks for the help as always green screen. Probably gonna look at the truck topper mount.

Comment

I hunt there in September every year and we had 40 mph winds last year.

Comment

I hunt area 21 for antelope every year just north of Casper. We stay in a wall tent and it's windy every year but some years are way worse. The year before last we had 65 mph w8nds and our tent came down twice. We started bringing long pieces of rebar to help hold it down. I'm going again this fall but I'm pulling my little 6x12 box trailer to stay in.
                      Last edited by Dandy123; 07-18-2018, 05:10 AM.

Comment

A well staked out wall tent will be fine.
                        You can rent a truck topper in Ft Collins Colorado if needed.

Where are you hunting? Just fins some kind of terrain for a wind break. Our wall tent survived 60+ mph winds one year, The guy lines were humming but it stood fine. Good stakes and use the guylines.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          A well staked out wall tent will be fine.
                          You can rent a truck topper in Ft Collins Colorado if needed.

Where are you hunting? Just fins some kind of terrain for a wind break. Our wall tent survived 60+ mph winds one year, The guy lines were humming but it stood fine. Good stakes and use the guylines.
                          What was the place you rented the camper top at? Probably going to go that route for back up if wind picks up. I can only find one place in dfw that will rent the camper tops. Probably be easier to pick up in ft Collins.

Comment

I’ve never been in Wyoming outside of July and August. I’ve slept in the bed of a truck with a camper shell plenty of times and it works great, would be just fine if you got into 60+ mph winds. Another option you could go with would be a tipi style tent such as seek outside or kifaru. With the conical shape they shed wind really well just have to have the guy lines stretched out well, and they can withstand 60+ winds all night just fine.

Comment

I've slept on the tool box in back of my truck on the side of the I-25 once.

Comment

Working...
                              X