Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    without any gubment handouts and they have kids in public school

I aint gonna pizz with you any more son, got chores and hunting to do.

I love the irony there :-)

But seriously, good luck on your hunt

Comment

12 mil in a football stadium, track, baseball fields but cant supply supplies. Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        That is what i used to think, but I was wrong too. (except for the strong home/parent part, may not be %100 necessary, but I do think it helps)
        I'm glad your situation worked out of you if it did. If so, you are in the minority. I deal with these issues for going on 20 years now. Ninety-five percent of parents who homeschool to escape issues with public schools let their kids down and they are back within a year. Whether it's the kids behaviors or the parents not wanting to conform to some school "rules" that have the best interest of the KIDS and not the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          They do the same crap where we are.. I don't see how any teacher has to come out of pocket with the amount of pencils and packs of paper on the list.. they tried to put printer paper on the list this year.. I told the wife to send him 1 of everything on the list with his name on it.. I'm not buying printer paper when I pay so much in school taxes.
          This mentality kills me. I spent over $1k last year on school supplies for my wife's classroom so that kids would have the resources they need to learn. I bought cases of printer paper because the school district (Crosby) was broke and rationing paper out like MRE's. She as a teacher has zero authority on how money is spent or what supplies are kept but she better **** well not have kids under-performing or it will be her butt on the line. Guess what, I pay the same school taxes as everyone else and don't even have a kid in school.

Look I get it you would rather be notified if supplies that you send are going to be rationed out and I am not arguing that. I am saying when the list says a pack of printer paper, 2 packs of pencils, or anything else and you decide to send 1 of everything, it is not the school footing the bill during the year when they run out. It's the teachers and their families. So yes, they do ask that parents supply an extra pack of pencils or a pack of paper because the cost per child/family is not that high. But when half the class doesn't pitch in anything, it becomes a serious burden for the teachers to pick up. My wife has 26 kids in her class this year and the crap adds up quick.

Kleenex and hand sanitizer are requested because teachers don't like being sick any more than you do and they are surrounded by snot nosed kids all year. It not only is an issue for them but every day your kid misses being sick is a day they have to make up in teaching so the kid doesn't fall behind. The schools don't provide this and again its left to teachers to purchase so that they can keep germs to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
            She called this morning, we cleared it up. My daughter will be getting her supplies back next week. As mentioned above she buys and reuses supplies. She thought most students wouldn’t have their supplies ready the first day of school so she used her binders instead. I told her if she needed more supplies from my daughter and if a underprivileged kid needed something or even she needed something to let me know I would take care of it. She was happy with that, I’m glad it was handle between us and not taken any further than it needed to be.
            I wish more parents were as rational as this and as kind hearted. Good on you and your wife! Being married to a teacher is really eye opening for how dis-functional our education system is and how crappy people can be.

Comment

I appreciate everyone’s comments, everything worked out fine. I know some other parents would’ve made a **** show out of this but was never my plan. It’s her first year in this district. For next year I’ll just get her regular plain jane supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                I'm glad your situation worked out of you if it did. If so, you are in the minority. I deal with these issues for going on 20 years now. Ninety-five percent of parents who homeschool to escape issues with public schools let their kids down and they are back within a year. Whether it's the kids behaviors or the parents not wanting to conform to some school "rules" that have the best interest of the KIDS and not the parents.
                I would say it worked out OK, as i mentioned earlier in this thread he graduated college with honors,and i didn't mention it, but he is happily married and has a a good job. And please understand that the homeschooling was not supposed to work out for me, but it was meant to work out for my kid. But you are probably right a lot of parents will probably realize that homeschooling is work and let their kids down by putting them back in public school. I mean why do it yourself when their is a handy government program to do it for you? ........Wait, isn't that what most people's gripe about welfare is? Funny how people complain about one govt handout, but readily accept another

Comment

My son is in public school in a great district, and in a fairly affluent (I would say predominantly upper middle class) neighborhood. His teacher sends out multiple emails a week updating parents on what is going on, and occasionally asking for parents help with supplies. I hate that they have to resort to this, and I'm sure the district is wasteful in other areas that could prevent it, but I'd rather they ask than kids do without. It's not usually basic supplies, usually something for special events they do. I've been trying to volunteer to buy something for the class (it's never more than $120 or so), but someone always beats me to it....**** PTA marms are quick!

My wife coaches in the same district and we wind up buying some stuff for her PE classes every year. She is always bringing home equipment for me to fix because they can't get anyone in maint. to do it.
                  Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                    That’s not right. You expect us to use old outdated junk? We want the 11 too!!!

^^^Thats a joke. Really a great offer. I just hate changing phones.
                    They know the only way they can REQUIRE you to answer a phone is if they provide you one.
                    So they do that.
                    It is like business travel, it is not as nice as it sounds.

Takes great pictures tho!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      My son is in public school in a great district, and in a fairly affluent I would say predominantly upper middle class) neighborhood. His teacher sends out multiple emails a week updating parents on what is going on, and occasionally asking for parents help with supplies. I hate that they have to resort to this, and I'm sure the district is wasteful in other areas that could prevent it, but I'd rather they ask than kids do without. It's not usually basic supplies, usually something for special events they do. I've been trying to volunteer to buy something for the class (it's never more than $120 or so), but someone always beats me to it....**** PTA marms are quick!

My wife coaches in the same district and we wind up buying some stuff for her PE classes every year. She is always bringing home equipment for me to fix because they can't get anyone in maint. to do it.

This is also why I do it.
                      I don't want my kid going without.
                      And now I'm just buying stuff like glitter, "funky" markers and card stock paper (for Halloween projects).
                      Oh and snacks, can't forget the snacks

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        My son is in public school in a great district, and in a fairly affluent I would say predominantly upper middle class) neighborhood. His teacher sends out multiple emails a week updating parents on what is going on, and occasionally asking for parents help with supplies. I hate that they have to resort to this, and I'm sure the district is wasteful in other areas that could prevent it, but I'd rather they ask than kids do without. It's not usually basic supplies, usually something for special events they do. I've been trying to volunteer to buy something for the class (it's never more than $120 or so), but someone always beats me to it....**** PTA marms are quick!

Good For you. I do something very similar. I also tell Rileys teachers that if a kid in her class can't go on a field trip due $$$ to call me and I will take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                          I appreciate everyone’s comments, everything worked out fine. I know some other parents would’ve made a **** show out of this but was never my plan. It’s her first year in this district. For next year I’ll just get her regular plain jane supplies.
                          That's good...pick your battles & this hill isn't worth it.

I couldn't be more pleased with the McAllen school district & how our two kids were treated / supported. One is in college & my girl is in her sr. year. Both had completely different needs from the schools...my son was in the top of his class & they started working with him on his higher education going all the way back to middle school. My daughter has some physical & mental hurdles to get through & they have cared for her particular needs without hesitation. We home schooled her through most of grade school which helped at the time, but knew we needed to get her socialized & introduced to the challenges the world brings. She joined cheer as a freshman & with the support of the school has really jumped out of her shell. Now I will say I give most of the school's positive marks due to Mrs. Artos being so involved & communicating with teachers & admin. Parents & their involvement are a big piece of the public schools success. Sounds like you guys are on point.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Now I will say I give most of the school's positive marks due to Mrs. Artos being so involved & communicating with teachers & admin. Parents & their involvement are a big piece of the public schools success. Sounds like you guys are on point.
                            Yeah, my wife coaches at the middle school next door to my son's elementry. Poor kid won't be able to get away with ****.

Comment

Decided to remove my comment. LOL
                              Last edited by dbaio1; 10-04-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Much ado about nothing-- there's more important stuff to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X