• Show
Clear All

My broadhead review

Click image for larger version

Name:	8197DF83-1B92-44AE-831F-C3ED4A961535.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	25156619

I’m leaving on an elk hunt in Colorado this Thursday. Three months ago I began my search for the broadhead I wanted to use. I had a few requirements.

1- don’t break the bank.
    2- needed to be a two blade.
    3- a quality manufacturer.
    4- had to be tough
    5- hold an edge

I settled on the Magnus stinger killer bee. Magnus makes them without vents in order to make them as structurally sound as possible. These things fly without any hissing noise and fly true. The pictured head has been shot into some hard foam over 100 times and still shaved my arm hair effortlessly. They were made for crossbows, whatever that means( biggger ferrule I think). 26 bucks for three. I hope to update on what they look like after running through some elk lungs soon. They seem to be what they are advertised so far though.

They’re made for speed alright. But they are slightly smaller than the stinger and buzzcuts.
    Good, solid heads. And a full replacement warranty. You should be fine.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the write up and good luck getting some blood on one

Comment

I use regular Magnus Stingers (150gr), and they work great on critters. Good luck! I’ll be waiting for the pic of you behind a dead elk!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good Luck on your hunt!!

Comment

I'm going to try some cutthroats this year, 160 grain glue on, and of course simmons sharks. Really disappointed Simmons discontinued their glue on line. Good luck Ken, hope you bring home a big one. If you don't, I guarantee the experience will be well worth it!

Comment

Hadn't seen those before. Generally speaking, I am with you on the non-vented. Most all of my stingers failed because they'd hit something and the BH would buckle, crack the clamp, etc. Those were all 100/125 gr. I never did try the 150s. Honestly, it was one of the reasons I liked the Zwickeys and somewhat steered away from the simmons heads for so long. Now that I've shot the simmons heads more and more, I'm starting to come back around on that design. I think it has more to do with how much metal is being used and the thickness of the metal behind the edge. I've shot several critters now with the same simmons head.

Good luck on your hunt... I hope to see an LDP of a Rocky Mountain Elk with your bow draped across it!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Hadn't seen those before. Generally speaking, I am with you on the non-vented. Most all of my stingers failed because they'd hit something and the BH would buckle, crack the clamp, etc. Those were all 100/125 gr. I never did try the 150s. Honestly, it was one of the reasons I liked the Zwickeys and somewhat steered away from the simmons heads for so long. Now that I've shot the simmons heads more and more, I'm starting to come back around on that design. I think it has more to do with how much metal is being used and the thickness of the metal behind the edge. I've shot several critters now with the same simmons head.

Good luck on your hunt... I hope to see an LDP of a Rocky Mountain Elk with your bow draped across it!
                Were you shooting 2 or 4 blades?

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  Were you shooting 2 or 4 blades?
                  On the magnus? Both.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

The biggest complaint I've heard about Magnus has been the 4 blades having a much weaker ferrule because of their design. I haven't heard any folks having issues with the 2 blade though. In fact, I shot one into a brick wall(by accident...forgot to reset my slider sight) and it held together a lot better than I anticipated.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                        The biggest complaint I've heard about Magnus has been the 4 blades having a much weaker ferrule because of their design. I haven't heard any folks having issues with the 2 blade though. In fact, I shot one into a brick wall(by accident...forgot to reset my slider sight) and it held together a lot better than I anticipated.
                        I could see that. And to be fair, I went through 2 packs of the 4 blades and a pack of the single blades before I gave up on them. I agree that the 4 blades (bleeders) were more of a pain, but it seemed that the durability was lacking. Keep in mind that I was hunting the hill country and south texas and bounced crap off rocks on pass troughs (or yeah... er... ummm... misses...) When I switched to a different head, I seemed to not have as man issues with my broadheads, even when they skipped off rocks, etc.

But I know fellas on here using them and still love them, so I chalk it up to just my limited experience. I've moved on from Zwickeys and the head that I once thought were awesome... are once again... "meh" in comparison what I am shooting now. I'll still use em, but they are not my favorite goto BH now.

Comment

Good luck Ken. Thanks for sharing.

Im on the broadhead hunt right now. Im shooting a “string follow” 38@28 long bow...Howard Hill style?...and considering trying some Howard Hill style broadheads. However, I dont like the multiple angles of curved blades. Have you tried HH broadheads?

Comment

You made a great choice! I love the stinger buzzcut and have run them through 200 pound boar and they went through both shoulder plates and I was shocked. As Swamprabbit and the pic of the bent head commented, that damage is not from an animal, that bend is from hitting a rock! Good luck on your Elk hunt!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I really like this model. Swamprabbit, I had the same results with the vented stingers. Sometimes I kinda wondered if I needed to even hit anything hard to bend em! I always used the bleeder blade model though.

Comment

Working...
                              X