Muzzle loader help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle loader help

I got a CVA 50 cal for fathers day. I have always wanted one but do not know much bout them. I have watched enough u tube and talked to people bout how to shoot it. My question is how do you clean it. I see they have bore cleaning solvent which I know how to clean the bore. But they sell natural lub, what do you use this for? and also breech plug anti-seize grease?
    Any help would be appreciated. I already have the bullets, gunpowder pullets and primers so now just want to make sure I can clean it properly.

Thanks

Water and soap works great oil right after

Comment

I clean with warm water and dawn. Yes anti grease for the plug. Oil after. Clean it every time u shoot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I typically will dismantle the barrel from the rest of the gun, placed in the tub in real hot water, then clean the inside/outside using Dawn dish soap.

After cleaning, rinse/wash in hot water & dry it immediately while the barrel is still hot. This causes all the moisture to evaporate from the metal.

Quickly dry with a towel, oil it real good, reassemble & put in the safe

Comment

Bkackhorn 209 is great powder, don need to swab between shots until about the 3rd or 4th one. It's totally non-corrosive so u don't have to clean it as soon as u come home from a hunt or the range. It can wait a few days. Can't do that with any other powder

Comment

Blackhorn powder is the best for use very little cleaning. I shot the federal 275 grain saboted bullets and it was dead nutz at 150 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              I typically will dismantle the barrel from the rest of the gun, placed in the tub in real hot water, then clean the inside/outside using Dawn dish soap.

After cleaning, rinse/wash in hot water & dry it immediately while the barrel is still hot. This causes all the moisture to evaporate from the metal.

Quickly dry with a towel, oil it real good, reassemble & put in the safe
              This exactly

Comment

You need to make sure your rifle has the correct breech plug for Blackhorn 209.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                  You need to make sure your rifle has the correct breech plug for Blackhorn 209.
                  As long as it uses 209 primers you're good. Have to use regular shotgun primers tho not muzzle loader primers. I use CCI's

Comment

If you're using Blackhorn 209, using soap and water is not recommended - use Hopps #9.

If you're using anything else then hot water is fine, a little oil afterwards is fine.

Comment

I used this exact kit for years. Very good started kit.

I would also order some extra barrel blaster.
                      Last edited by Bayouboy; 08-21-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Believe it or not

Windex glass cleaner works awesome to clean the barrel after every 3rd shot at the range

All variables must be constant on every shot for consistency

I'm not a barrel lube fan and I shoot sabots with a plastic sleeves

If you use lube use it on every shot

Blackhorn 209 is good but it adds another variable to the equation

Its powder not pellets

And it's been my experience that in a 2nd shot scenario you can get rattled and powder is just one more variable that can go wrong

It's good. As described above if accurately dispensed on every shot

Just saying it's one variable that can be eliminated by using pellets

Some will say you won't need a 2nd shot

But

What if you do?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          As long as it uses 209 primers you're good. Have to use regular shotgun primers tho not muzzle loader primers. I use CCI's

Check the BH209 website and your firearm manual before using it.

Comment

Muzzle loaders need to be cleaned after use.
                            It's just the way it is to maintain a rest free bore.
                            You can't set it off in a corner and say I'll clean it later when I have time, like you would with a modern centerfire rifle that you don't have to clean for an entire season.
                            I like to use WD-40 after using a hot soapy water solution to remove any water left in the barrel as WD-40 is a water displacement product.
                            Use a good gun oil after using patches to remove most of the WD-40 residue.

Comment

Remove barrel from stock
                              Remove nipple from breech plug
                              Dunk breech end into a bucket of hot water with dish soap
                              Use cleaning tip on rod w/patch and start running it in and almost out of the
                              barrel. It will suck the water up and scrub at the same time.
                              Continue until water comes out clean
                              Run dry patches until dry
                              Oil
                              Reassemble gun

Comment

Working...
                              X