X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal. Following. Making progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a while since I've posted. Starting grad school has taken up most of my time the last couple of months.

Planning to bring the Bronco up to College Station in the next couple of weeks, pending how my schedule works out. Might be a day trip kind of deal not sure yet.

Wanted to post today because I am looking for a specific bumper for the front of the bronco. I want the one that has the plastic bumper guards as well as the push guards. I would prefer to have it in chrome. Pretty specific I know, but I want to get the original look it came with.

Was looking to order it from LMC truck, but they no longer carry it. So, figured Id post up on the green screen and see if anyone knew anywhere else to get one. Reply or shoot me a PM if you know where to get one.

Thanks!
      -Connor

Comment

Good luck with your build. I'll be following along. I've got a 1991 Bronco that I'm going to have to retire or rebuild. It's been a good one.

Comment

One thing I would point out . Is that using paint stripper you need to be 100% sure you have it all rinsed out. Reason being is one little piece of crud will ruin a paint job at a later date if water gets on it .. It will comeback to life and try to remove paint or dis color it . I spent 7 years on my 62 chevy truck and media blasted every panel cab frame and started over its a labor of love for sure .

looks like a great project

Comment

Been a while since I’ve been able to post, due to grad school i haven’t had the time to work on it the way i wanted.

During my last move, i put a couple of small dents in the fenders. So i have spent the last couple weeks sanding them back down to repair my dumb mistakes. Hit both with bondo today. I know i went a little overboard since most of them are small dents, but I’d rather have extra room to get a good feather in on those so it won’t be noticeable.

Also tore down the front clip over the thanksgiving holiday to really assess damages and to figure out what i need to purchase. Damage wasn’t nearly as bad as i thought, but i may need to get a new core support cause it has more damage than i initially thought. Oh well, what’s the fun if things go the way i plan, right?

Planning to work on it as much as possible during the holidays when I’m home. After that we get to start planning a wedding, so i doubt I’ll have much time/money to do much after the holidays. Good news is once the Fiancé and I get our own place during the summer, i should be able to bring the bronco up to College Station and really start tearing into it. That will be nice, since i haven’t had the opportunity to do as much as i want since it’s being stored 200+ miles from here.

I’ll try and post pics of what I’ve got going on with parts lists and such over the next few weeks. Then back to being radio silent for a few months.

Side note, Does anyone know how Ford used to paint these? Mine is a two tone color scheme. Interior is the dark brown paint. But the exterior looks like they sprayed all the tan first, then did the brown, which is the opposite of what i would’ve expected. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
            Connor
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	24562555

Name:	IMG_1859.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24562556

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	24562557

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24562558

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	24562559

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Feels like forever since I have had the opportunity to update this thread. In some senses, a lot has been done. In others, not so much.

Finally got to go home last weekend and work a little on the bronco. Things have been slow lately between grad school and planning a wedding, so I won't have another update for another month or two. Sometime in June the bronco will get loaded on a trailer and finally brought up to College Station so that I can regularly work on it.

Last weekends update:
              Got the last of the old front end off, some minor damage to the core support but nothing too bad. Small dents here and there from the multiple wrecks it has seen, but nothing that a little tapping with the hammer couldn't fix quickly.
              Put the newly refinished front end pieces back together. Its multicolored for now, but that's fine by me. The only parts I need now to get the front end back together are the passenger headlight bezel and the bumper guards. Bumper guards are out of stock everywhere right now, so those will just have to wait. I have the new bumper inside the bronco right now just waiting for install.
              Note to future self, fitting fenders is a PITA, especially when a vehicle has been wrecked. Next time, don't run into things. The look of confusion as I am trying to figure out how to tweak the fender is explanation enough.

Have a few photos that i'll attach from the work. Starting to see progress. For now, the only other area that needs major work on the exterior is the lower portion of the tailgate (typical bronco rot from window seals going bad). Otherwise it will be good to go on the exterior for now til I get it fully painted.
              Next steps after finishing the front end is to move to the engine bay. I had some issues a few months back of getting it running after it sat for so long. Tried tuning the carb a little, but it's still running pretty rich. May be one of those things I end up paying a professional to do down the road. Also going to start looking into getting a new ignition module (the one that sits on the drivers side fender well). It looks like its leaking plastic essentially (not really sure what the heck it is) but something is clearly melted. Considering this vehicle is closer to the 40 year mark than the 30, I figure its done its job and should probably be replaced. Also going to try and clean up the engine bay a bit, I hate seeing wires running everywhere and its dirty as all getout. Hope to be working on that sometime around mid june to early july once it is finally in the same zip code as me.

Looking forward to having quicker updates in the future, and having a space that is mine (and only mine) to work in in just a couple months.

I'll try to upload photos here in a second, my computer doesn't like them
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JConnor95; 04-08-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Awesome. Tagged

Comment

Long time since I’ve had anything good to say on this thread. Good news this weekend however, got the last few parts in for the front end (with the exception of the bumper guards, those are on backorder with no eta from the manufacturer). Got the Bronco moved to Bryan so now i can regularly work on it in between wedding preparations/research/work. She runs better now, hopefully going to start making good strides in the next few months.

Pics from the move, the uhaul did surprisingly well minus dragging the ground in a few places.

Current plan of upcoming work:
                  Get carburetor tuned properly
                  Get rear main seal leak repaired
                  Get street legal so that I can drive it places to get certain work done (all the things i don’t have time or the space to do myself)
                  Finish assembling front end (May do temporary paint job, TBD)
                  Start working on interior (few things i need to fix ASAP such as tear in drivers seat that exposes metal frame)

Will post photos later, have to resize them first

Comment

following !

Comment

Loaded up on the trailer. Remembered as I was loading it up how much I hate hauling Bronco's on Uhaul trailers. It's a tight fit to begin with, and the thing is so heavy that even my fiance's Z71 that has towed plenty of trailers was sagging pretty low.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Also got the panel pulled off the tailgate to start preparing it for replacement of the rusted out lower section
                        Attached Files

Comment

Also, question for those of you who have worked on these older vehicles:
                          The more I work on my Bronco, the more I can tell has been done to it over the years, specifically relating to getting it repainted. The paint photo is from behind the swing-out spare tire mount, where you can tell there's at least 3 layers of paint (2 of the dark brown, with the tan layer being in the middle). My question is, based on the sticker from inside of the drivers door (see pic), which color is supposed to be the top and bottom sections, and which is supposed to be the center??
                          And also, if you have images of a vehicle that matches those color codes, could you post them in reply as well?
                          From what I can find online, it looks as though the original colors of mine were a two tone brown, similar to the way it is now, but the tan was slightly darker. Hard to tell if that is because of bad images online or colors not being displayed properly, but I was just curious as I am obviously going to need to get the vehicle repainted at some point.

Hope to have some more posts this coming weekend since my fiance will be out of town. Planning to try and get the tailgate torn apart and put the new section in. If time allows, I am also going to work on adjusting the front fenders some, and try to get it inspected/registered so I can start driving it places to get the work done that I don't have the time to do.

Thanks!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X