Need help-auto body work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help-auto body work

I have 2 small rust holes, one about the size of a pencil eraser and one about half that size above the drivers door in a 92 Toyota pickup. Have no idea where to start. Mostly just want to keep them from getting worse. I know there's bound some auto body guys on here. Any help appreciated. Was thinking i'd just patch and prime it not worried about repainting at this time.

Just apply bearing grease to keep them from spreading and be proud of the wear!

Comment

Not a pro by any means but had a similar situation as yours. Sand, grind or whatever to get out all rust to get to clean metal. Use some Bondo glazing and spot putty ($4 at Wally World). Put on thin coats with a plastic spreader or putty knife. Sand smooth then prime. I masked off the area before even sanding rust to keep it from growing on me. Mine was on the door above the window and just masked that area off. Once touched up with matching spray bomb could barely tell it was there outside of slight shade difference in paint color. I am sure there are others that could give you better answers but this was just a convenient way for DIY and no mixing filler required.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Would you recommend using ospho (it's a rust killer) I think phosphoric acid, green solution.

Comment

Originally posted by postman View Post
          Thanks for the input. Would you recommend using ospho (it's a rust killer) I think phosphoric acid, green solution.
          Ospho is great stuff, works fantastically. Probably not a bad idea to get any interior rust in/on the door and kill it. But you need so little of it for it to work, I would recommend searching around to see where you can get it in smaller bottles. From what I remember, Home Depot carries a half gallon, but you need so little of it, buying one that big would be a waste unless you have other projects. Also, I would check first and make sure it doesn't eat paint. Ive never used it on a painted product, only on raw metal.

Good luck with it!

Comment

id be careful with the ospho it will eat clearcoat.. just use a small paintbrush after you dremel out the rust hole and let it dry overnight..
            the ospho turns the remaining rust into zinc and acts as a rust inhibitor.. bondo and paint it with a good coat of rustoleum primer

gun stores/ academy has small rust kits for cleaning gun bores its the same stuff just an acid

Comment

Thanks again going to try it this weekend

Comment

YouTube is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                X