Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting married to the church

So, I have a question for you guys...

We both grew up going to the same church and she wants to get married there. Problem is, I'm just not a religious person anymore.

I want her to have the wedding that she wants and to make her happy. I feel weird having it there since I would be getting married to something I don't really believe in, but I'd be fine doing it for her if it makes her happy. Doesn't really matter to me how we get married, just want it to happen

What do you think??

Happy Wife, happy life
    Vows stay the same no matter where you get married

Comment

I'm confused...are you marrying your fiancé or the church? you're marrying your fiancé. If you don't care where, why give a rip? Say "I do" and move on just my opinion

Now if they're saying that you have to be a member to marry, that's a different ball game

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
        Happy Wife, happy life
        Vows stay the same no matter where you get married
        That's what I'm thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
          Happy Wife, happy life
          Never negotiate with emotional terrorists... any woman who would expect you to be unhappy to make her happy isn't worth it!

Have you expressed your thoughts to her? Chances are she'd be OK with having the wedding at a different location unless she's completely unreasonable...

Or if its not that big of a deal to you then just roll with it...

Comment

The church is a building just like any other building, thus you are getting married in a building that is called a church. A ton of the new churches do not even look like a church like they use too. Too me, the church is the people not the building.

Comment

So if your new bride came down with cancer three months after you were married, or you first child is born with a heart defect, would you be religious then?

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                So if your new bride came down with cancer three months after you were married, or you first child is born with a heart defect, would you be religious then?
                If I hit you over the head with a fossilized femur of the missing link, would you believe in evolution?

This wasn't a question about his beliefs. He asked a question about LOCATION.

I say, if it means a lot to her and doesn't mean much to you, get married there.

It detracts from you less than it benefits her. That's a simple choice.
                Last edited by Encinal; 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  If I hit you over the head with a fossilized femur of the missing link, would you believe in evolution?
                  hahahahah winning!

Nice reply, the comment you quoted was completely irrelavent to the current discussion

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                    What do you think??
                    Well, since you asked.... Sounds like a good time to get right with the Lord again! Sounds like He is putting you in for a pretty good test.

Personally, my marriage foundation was built on God. With God as the foundation, everything else tends to fit into place (as long as God stays the focus).

Comment

Have you discussed this with her? What does she think about your lack of faith/belief?

Comment

Exactly, he stated he didn't want to get married in the church because he's not that religious anymore. How can it not be about his believes? I will give you creativity points on your smart alek comment though encinal.
                        Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                        Well, since you asked.... Sounds like a good time to get right with the Lord again! Sounds like He is putting you in for a pretty good test.

Personally, my marriage foundation was built on God. With God as the foundation, everything else tends to fit into place (as long as God stays the focus).

Comment

you left out a lot of detail.... but if that "religion" requires you to be a member to be married there, i would most certainly look for another church... keep in mind church and religion are not exactly the same thing, also a marriage without God at the center is very difficult, after all it was God who started marriage to begin with,,, i strongly suggest you both discuss "church" and "religion" before you get married, if it is going to become an issue, better now than later... I also suggest ya'll attend different church's together and see if there is one you are both okay with before the vows..... the ceremony is always a bigger deal to the bride than the groom, most men couldn't care less were they get married so if it is her wish to get married there, and you do not have an alternate location, roll with it it will end in an hour or so......... it's what's after the vows take place that is important.......

Comment

The church is the people, not the building.

Comment

Married to the church.....???

You are marrying her......not the church. The church is just a venue.

If that is what she wants.......go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X